So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:The pundits have shortened memories
whereas you only suffer from short term memory loss?
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

So I was perusing NHL.com and the standings and noticed Florida has a league worst 3.63 GA/G.

Luongo in his sleep could drop that a goal per game.

Come on FLA, just bite the damn bullet!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:So I was perusing NHL.com and the standings and noticed Florida has a league worst 3.63 GA/G.

Supposedly they can't afford him, so are trying to make Gillis take back a bad contract. I'm sure he would have done it under the old system, but in the new system you are limited to how much you can bury in the minors. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:So I was perusing NHL.com and the standings and noticed Florida has a league worst 3.63 GA/G.

Supposedly they can't afford him, so are trying to make Gillis take back a bad contract. I'm sure he would have done it under the old system, but in the new system you are limited to how much you can bury in the minors. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Panthers ownership went on record months ago in that they are willing to fork over the doh for Lou.

Nah, I think it's the package GMMG wants in return that is holding things up.

As for taking back a bad contract, don't forget the compliance buyout is there.

C'mon Gillis, spend Aquaman's money to get this deal done!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

Panthers ownership went on record months ago in that they are willing to fork over the doh for Lou.

Nah, I think it's the package GMMG wants in return that is holding things up.

As for taking back a bad contract, don't forget the compliance buyout is there.

C'mon Gillis, spend Aquaman's money to get this deal done!
Good point, forgot about the buyout option. Florida's goalies are sucking again tonight - seems par for the course for them.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:
Good point, forgot about the buyout option. Florida's goalies are sucking again tonight - seems par for the course for them.
Probably the worst team in the league right now and in the Jones, McKinnon, Drouin, that Russian, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse running. Why would they break up a youth movement for an old man in Luongo? The Panthers don't have money according to Ray Ferraro, so not so sure why they would abandon youth for old man Lou and a contract that apparently is too rich for their blood. It's not a good marriage IMO.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Isn't it within the new CBA rules to keep some of a players salary when moved?

The Canucks can always eat $1M of Luos salary until it drops to $3.7M to help. But I think it should come at a greater cost to FLA though, a higher draft pick or better prospect.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
Probably the worst team in the league right now and in the Jones, McKinnon, Drouin, that Russian, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse running. Why would they break up a youth movement for an old man in Luongo? The Panthers don't have money according to Ray Ferraro, so not so sure why they would abandon youth for old man Lou and a contract that apparently is too rich for their blood. It's not a good marriage IMO.
Just curious here RD, since you brought them up, what will you say about GMMG if he holds onto Lou and them flips him for a top 3 pick at the draft?

I would LOVE to see Jonathan Drouin donning a Canucks Jersey and hat while standing next to Aquaman and MG on draft day.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote:Isn't it within the new CBA rules to keep some of a players salary when moved?

The Canucks can always eat $1M of Luos salary until it drops to $3.7M to help. But I think it should come at a greater cost to FLA though, a higher draft pick or better prospect.
It's like I say, if Canucks need to help Florida out financially in this trade, they just take a bad contract back.

Then compliance buyout in the summer.

BOOM

Retaining some of the salary would negatively affect the cap-room dig? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
Just curious here RD, since you brought them up, what will you say about GMMG if he holds onto Lou and them flips him for a top 3 pick at the draft?

I would LOVE to see Jonathan Drouin donning a Canucks Jersey and hat while standing next to Aquaman and MG on draft day.
Well, I think Drouin has a very good chance of going 1st overall but either or of Jones, Drouin, McKinnon...I'd be real happy with. The Russian forward, who is apparently the best forward of the draft, I have no interest in cause well he is Russian. Barkov, Nurse, Monahan, Lindholm I'd be happy with as well. I just don't see a team who has a pick anywhere in the top 8 giving us that pick for Roberto Luongo. I'd be all teeth if we could but just don't see it happening.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Mëds wrote: Just curious here RD, since you brought them up, what will you say about GMMG if he holds onto Lou and them flips him for a top 3 pick at the draft?

I'd say the exact same thing if MG cured cancer this summer which is absolutely nothing because neither will ever happen. No team is going to pay premium for Lu and fans need to to stop thinking it's going to happen.

Maybe MG turns Schneider+ into a top 3 but that + is a 1st and another player.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

There's no pressure at all for Florida to make the playoffs. They won't cave. They made the playoffs last year thanks to being in the weakest division and many of their veterans they brought in having great years. That's not the case this season at all.

And does anyone have a direct quote from Florida ownership saying Luongo's contract is not a problem? Or are you just going by a media report that may be incorrect? Because that contract does not make sense for a financially struggling team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BigTuna wrote:There's no pressure at all for Florida to make the playoffs. They won't cave.

Says who ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Florida is toast this year. They might as well go 1 more year and try for a top 5 pick where you can almost guarantee a franchise player is available. If nobody grabs Luo Gillis might be forced to buy him out and they get him for nothing anyway.
Honestly this is a possibility.
If you need air...call it in
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Dan, granting (purely for the sake of argument) the (laughable) notion that nobody wants to trade for a star player because he gets paid a couple million too much per year over a few too many years... there is simply no way that 29 teams pass on Luongo on waivers.
BIgTuna wrote:And does anyone have a direct quote from Florida ownership saying Luongo's contract is not a problem? Or are you just going by a media report that may be incorrect? Because that contract does not make sense for a financially struggling team.
There is no way there'd be a quote directly from the Panthers on that. Everyone is going on Pierre Lebrun's word which as far as hockey reporters go is pretty decent.

As for the contract not making sense for the Panthers, neither does the one attached to Brian Campbell - in theory anyway. As for whether it actually makes sense for the Panthers or not, I'll take third hand information from Pierre Lebrun over first hand information from you.