So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Well, looks like there is a new sheriff in town in Ontario. Rumor has it that Blobby Mac's good buddy Cheeseburger Boi Nonis ain't trading no draft picks or young players and prospects for short term fix, veterens. People assumed that ole Nonis would get walked over by old Suitcase Eyes Gillis in a Luongo deal but in fact the changing of GM's in T.O. will in fact work against us in landing a good return, not that there was much there to begin with.

Nonis is doing the right thing, what's the point in bringing in a veteren Luongo backstopping for a team that is uh, pretty much shite to begin with. It will take more than just a Luongo to right that sad sack of a team that Burke built. It's rebuild time in T.O. and they've got the right man for it.

So uh, unless Gillis accepts that shite rental player, up and coming UFA Bozak and maybe a 2nd round pick we ain't gettin' fuck all from Toronto. I can dig where Gillis is coming from, why waste the great asset in Luongo on a Bozak when you can find a Bozak for free in the open market. Hey Mike Gillis, I wouldn't want to be ya.
Perfect - in terms of assets Toronto is the last team I would want to trade with. They make a terrible trade partner given they have almost no pieces that make the Nucks better now. Florida, Philly, Chicago - all have much better options.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So given the fact that we are the contender right now and need to make the push for our cup right now, doesn't it make sense if you're Gillis to move Schneider for 2 excellent players which will raise our chances at the cup...right now?

Don't get me wrong, I am still a strong proponent of moving Luongo as I feel he seems to choke and what not but if we are talking the best interests of the team you can't deny that making this our year and throwing "all in" would be the best shot we have at a cup. Period.

So how bad does Luo want out? Could his mind be changed about leaving?

What about trade return on a potential Schneider trade? You'd have to think he could bring back a game changer or 2. So how much is he worth?

Is the cap going to keep us from exploring this route? I know Gilman has performed miracles the past few years keeping guys around when we seemingly had no room left.

I have never even really given in to this line of thought before but looking over our team today(for the pool hopefully lol) it struck me that we are right there in the hunt but could definitely use 2 key pieces, particularly up front. That is a power forward who is there right now(Harntnell comes to mind) and a pure sniper(Pat Kane?)

Thoughts?
If you need air...call it in
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Uncle dans leg wrote:So given the fact that we are the contender right now and need to make the push for our cup right now, doesn't it make sense if you're Gillis to move Schneider for 2 excellent players which will raise our chances at the cup...right now?
Thoughts?
Best idea yet....

Eddie Lack becomes the new Cory Schneider - bring him up next year to mentor behind Lou for the next 2-3 years at which point the whole team will start to get into re-build mode.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:So given the fact that we are the contender right now and need to make the push for our cup right now, doesn't it make sense if you're Gillis to move Schneider for 2 excellent players which will raise our chances at the cup...right now?

Don't get me wrong, I am still a strong proponent of moving Luongo as I feel he seems to choke and what not but if we are talking the best interests of the team you can't deny that making this our year and throwing "all in" would be the best shot we have at a cup. Period.

What about trade return on a potential Schneider trade? You'd have to think he could bring back a game changer or 2. So how much is he worth?

Is the cap going to keep us from exploring this route? I know Gilman has performed miracles the past few years keeping guys around when we seemingly had no room left.

I have never even really given in to this line of thought before but looking over our team today(for the pool hopefully lol) it struck me that we are right there in the hunt but could definitely use 2 key pieces, particularly up front. That is a power forward who is there right now(Harntnell comes to mind) and a pure sniper(Pat Kane?)

Thoughts?
I'm on board with ya, Dan, but ya know ole Blobby Beer Bellies Mac is gonna take the piss out of us as he don't like anyone suggesting keeping Luongo over Schneider. Is anyone not concerned by what has been revealed about Schneider's dehydration issues. Cory has come clean saying it was a panic attack. I really like Corey but he has had the comfort of sitting in the background with a nice security blanket in ole Lou taking all the pressure as the no. 1 goalie. We have no idea how Corey will fair with the pressure of now being THE guy in the goalie graveyard capital of the world. Luongo has probably been the best goalie this team has had in dealing with the pressures of being your no.1 netminder for the Vancouver Canucks, him and Kirk MacLean. I just worry with Corey's so called anxiety and panic attack issues how he will fair with that pressure and no big brother Lou to hide behind.

Which brings me to this (Like You Say Dan), If we are in win now mode in which all of you claim, why are we trading a proven no. 1 goalie, Tried and True Lou?

Schneids would definitely get you a legitimate young player. He's got a workable contract, young and up and coming, just exactly what any team with loads of good young players would want to grow with. The only markets out there for Lou are teams in hot pursuit of Lord Stanley, it doesn't take a genius to realize that the likes of Toronto and Florida ain't in the hunt. They are rebuilding.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

THAT.WAS.BRILLIANT!

Thanks for the find Tant.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Thoughts?
I don't really care who they trade or who is on the team if it makes them better. Trade whoever you want, just make the team better.

That said, I don't see Lu staying and Schneids going simply because Gillis has already gone down the path to trade Lu. Can't see him back tracking now.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes lets hang onto Luongo...........he doesn't want to be here and he is a worse goalie than Schneider and not to mention his contract runs for the next decade. Brilliant strategy. :roll:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

vic wrote:
Thoughts?
Best idea yet....

Eddie Lack becomes the new Cory Schneider - bring him up next year to mentor behind Lou for the next 2-3 years at which point the whole team will start to get into re-build mode.
Well by the way Climie has bee playing lately he may have jumped Lack recently. Another great job with another goalie. I just dont get it. Why can we develop anything but goalies? Sure there are exceptions(Edler, Burrows, Hansen etc) But cmon, Schnieder for sure, Lack, and maybe now Climie?
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Yes lets hang onto Luongo...........he doesn't want to be here and he is a worse goalie than Schneider and not to mention his contract runs for the next decade. Brilliant strategy. :roll:
I see you didn't mention the poster who you were referring to.

Weird. This mature type stuff. Guess it goes w/o saying.... :drink:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Well, looks like there is a new sheriff in town in Ontario. Rumor has it that Blobby Mac's good buddy Cheeseburger Boi Nonis ain't trading no draft picks or young players and prospects for short term fix, veterens. People assumed that ole Nonis would get walked over by old Suitcase Eyes Gillis in a Luongo deal but in fact the changing of GM's in T.O. will in fact work against us in landing a good return, not that there was much there to begin with.

Nonis is doing the right thing, what's the point in bringing in a veteren Luongo backstopping for a team that is uh, pretty much shite to begin with. It will take more than just a Luongo to right that sad sack of a team that Burke built. It's rebuild time in T.O. and they've got the right man for it.
Judging by this you are right.....
TSN wrote: Nonis likens it to a similar shift he employed in Vancouver, developing youth in the minors and eventually establishing it as the team's young core. Between 2005 and 2007, Nonis leaned on Vancouver's farm team in Manitoba and called up players that have grown into the foundation of the Canucks' winning teams of the past few years including Ryan Kesler, Alexandre Burrows, Mason Raymond, Alexander Edler, Kevin Bieksa and Cory Schneider.

"We made a decision at a certain point there too, that we had to get younger and bring certain youth into the lineup," he said. "A lot of those players that we started to look at are still playing there. You have to give those players a chance to develop and grow."

The leaves' organizational depth could, of course, also be used to augment the NHL roster via trade. The leaves have very publicly been linked to a possible pursuit of Canucks keeper Roberto Luongo, but the total cost to the team's future may deter any such move in the near future.

"I'm not going to give up youth for older players," he said. "We would trade a young player for a young player. We might trade from strength. But we're not going to trade a bunch of young players or first-round picks for short-term gain. You can't build a club that way.

"There's a point in time where you're good enough and deep enough where you can look at doing some of those things -- we're not there," he added. "And if we start to do that, we're going to end up being severely hampered in the development process of our club."

That said, Nonis did admit that goaltending is one area he would like to improve.

"We would upgrade our goaltending by the weekend if we could do it without taking away significant pieces," Nonis said. "It's not that we wouldn't upgrade. But for what's out there right now, we would set our team back, especially in the long term."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413804
This comes as no surprise at this time.

Give it a month, and if Reimer and Scrivens play as expected then the leaves will be at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and ownership will be screaming at Nonis to do something about the goaltending issues.....and Burke will be getting completely axed for trying to sell a couple of AHL backups as NHL starters.

I don't think giving up some youth and a pick for a veteran would set the leaves back at this point.....at least not very far. Not if the veteran goaltender coming back is a guy like Luongo who has enough years left to actually allow the Maple Laughs to stay whatever re-build/re-tool course they are currently on. Lou would give them enough time to allow Reimer or Scrivens develop behind a world class netminder and give management half a decade to develop their young forwards and defenseman while also finding some new ones through draft, other trades, or free agency.

I think that Nonis is playing the smoke and mirrors game here with MG.....however both of those guys know that the kind of veteran player that Nonis is referring to would be someone like Thomas or Brodeur.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Give it a month, and if Reimer and Scrivens play as expected then the leaves will be at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and ownership will be screaming at Nonis to do something about the goaltending issues.....and Burke will be getting completely axed for trying to sell a couple of AHL backups as NHL starters.

I don't think giving up some youth and a pick for a veteran would set the leaves back at this point.....at least not very far. Not if the veteran goaltender coming back is a guy like Luongo who has enough years left to actually allow the Maple Laughs to stay whatever re-build/re-tool course they are currently on. Lou would give them enough time to allow Reimer or Scrivens develop behind a world class netminder and give management half a decade to develop their young forwards and defenseman while also finding some new ones through draft, other trades, or free agency.

I think that Nonis is playing the smoke and mirrors game here with MG.....however both of those guys know that the kind of veteran player that Nonis is referring to would be someone like Thomas or Brodeur.
:lol: Man alive Mëds, ya don't listen much. It's that kind of GM'ing logic that has fucked the Maple leaves since 1966. Dave 'the guy who drafted Schneider and acquired a young Luongo' Nonis disagrees with you.

If you are Nonis, and Gillis is asking for Gardiner, Kadri are you making the deal? Further weakening an already weak defense, sapping your organization of your most promising young defenseman for a veteren goalie WHO WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE for that shite team in Toronto. Wake up dude, smell the coffee.

You all will be coming to the realization soon that Gillis is an extremely overrated GM, he has mishandled a lot of stuff here in Vancouver. I agree that Gillis is a good Hockey Executive on the back end but he should not be a GM. He shouldn't have quit his day job.

Just wait when 'CENTER-MAN' Cody Hodgson starts shining in Buffalo and Kassian does his floating around between the 4th line, press box and Chicago, on a team with no quality centre's in the entire organization after Kesler and Sedin. Ebbett??? Schroeder???? LMAO. When that comes to light that shit is gonna really hit the fan for Gillis and folks will be going, "hmm, Gillis really is a shitty GM'

Unless Gillis accepts rental player, up coming UFA player Bozak, the poor mans Brenden Morrison, and the likes of a Franson, Luongo ain't going to Toronto.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

No good GM would want to look desperate, Nonis is doing exactly what he needs to do. If he wants Luongo he needs to wait and see if the price is reduced. If he goes in now MG will be rubbing his hands together. If Nonis does not want Luongo then TO will go with what they got and hope they make the playoffs.

Other teams are waiting to see what they have, this is a weird season and things will heat up 5 - 10 games into the season. I am assuming the trade deadline day will be ~ 30 games which will come fast.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I agree Nonis probably doesn't get Luongo this time.

Mostly because Mike Gillis is a hell of a lot smarter than Mike Keenan (was in his later years), so the cost to acquire isn't going to be a deeply flawed first liner one year away from unrestricted free agency and a dogs breakfast of other assets.

As for the notion that we should trade Cory Schneider rather than Luongo I see the reasoning but I don't particularly buy the "window" theory behind it so I don't agree.

(That and now that we know how the league is going to try to hurt teams that signed backdiving contracts, we know that running with Luongo another five years is going to double our cap penalty if he retires early. And this is all completely ignoring the fact that Luongo by now has likely asked to be moved and that the ship has sailed, pure and simple.)

If we can get a young pro with second or even first line upside like Drew Shore plus a high draft pick and another asset for Luongo the Canucks will be in much better shape both now and into the future.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reefer2 wrote:No good GM would want to look desperate, Nonis is doing exactly what he needs to do. If he wants Luongo he needs to wait and see if the price is reduced. If he goes in now MG will be rubbing his hands together. If Nonis does not want Luongo then TO will go with what they got and hope they make the playoffs.

Other teams are waiting to see what they have, this is a weird season and things will heat up 5 - 10 games into the season. I am assuming the trade deadline day will be ~ 30 games which will come fast.
Nobody is going to give up the farm in a shortened season for a veteren goalie with a scarey contract. Weaker goalies can handle a 48 game 'sort of' season and GM's know that. There is a reason why Gillis has been unable to trade Luongo for 9 months now. His price is way too high and there isn't the market you all think there is for him.

Gillis is screwed. We should be trading Schneider instead.