So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:I like the Keith Jones analogy on NBC sports regarding Lu/Schneider.
"It's similar to the Brett Favre - Aaron Rodgers situation, move Favre, Rodgers takes over and wins the Superbowl.
As it just takes away all the conflict and whirlwind stories the media loves to conjure up.

Ultimately it lets Schneider know, no matter what, he's the #1 go to guy.

It can't carry on, I know Gillis waxes on about having no problem keeping Luongo here for the season but he is just grandstanding to the other GM's when he says that. He knows deep down that the sideshow, circus, distraction is not good for the team moving forward.Ya get a sense from the players even that they want it done to so they can move on.

Gillis should try and wrangle a 2013 first round pick out of some team but he isn't ballsy enough. I predict he will chicken shit out and waste him on quick fix journeyman in return that will not help the cause. Washington was able to move Varlamnov for a first round pick out of lottery pick team at the time - Colorado. I do not see why Gillis couldn't do the same. The Capitals picked up a pretty good player from it - Forsberg. The 2013 Draft is great at the top end. Two first round picks in the 2013 draft makes us a player to move up.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It will continue as long as teams keep offering up plates of dogshit to Gillis. Why should he make a deal if teams aren't offering players or prospects that make the team better. It will get done when it gets done.

PAcific Blue leader of the bed pissers.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:It will continue as long as teams keep offering up plates of dogshit to Gillis.
But why would the offers change, Blob? Does a GM go, "OK Mike, you win...I can't take it anymore" It's just standard stuff, B for Beers...GM's never want to give up a lot to get a goalie. It's always been this way. Why Gillis doesn't understand this is beyond me. Look at some of the recent goalie trades - Varlamnov and Lindback. All traded for draft picks. Gillis should follow suit. No GM wants to give up a current good young player in their system, nor top prospect for a goalie. That has never changed and Gillis to understand that.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:It will continue as long as teams keep offering up plates of dogshit to Gillis.
But why would the offers change, Blob? Does a GM go, "OK Mike, you win...I can't take it anymore" It's just standard stuff, B for Beers...GM's never want to give up a lot to get a goalie. It's always been this way. Why Gillis doesn't understand this is beyond me. Look at some of the recent goalie trades - Varlamnov and Lindback. All traded for draft picks. Gillis should follow suit. No GM wants to give up a current good young player in their system, nor top prospect for a goalie. That has never changed and Gillis to understand that.
The offers will change because teams will inevitably have inferior goaltending and will wish to upgrade the position. I've mentioned this before and though I am a fan of Janik Hansen , Gillis may have to include him in a deal to maximize the reurn. I only bring his name up because he is young, cheap and proven. The other option would be to include Chris Tanev in a deal . Teams may agree to part with a young asset and multiple assets with two players heading out of Vancouver in a trade. As I said I'm not a fan of including good young players on cheap contracts, but you have to give to get.

Be patient Pacific Blue.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Luongo gets the start tonight.

Is he off the table now???

Is it 5chneider now?? 8-)

Ya I know...just stirring the shit
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Luongo gets the start tonight.

Is he off the table now???

Is it 5chneider now?? 8-)

Ya I know...just stirring the shit
Gillis on phone with Holmgren offering Schneider for B. Schenn, Couterier and 2 first round picks.

Gillis on phone with Sabres trying for a do-over. Kassian for Hodgson. Ebbett thrown in to sweeten the pot.

Meanwhile, if the Coil Kids show us up tonight, trade both our elite no. 1 goalies and blow it up!

Helping you stir that shit, UDL...
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

A week or so ago there was a rumour about an "original 6" team that has entered the picture. Watching the Redwings tonight tells me this team also has a few needs and am wondering if they may have some interest. They have historically swung for the fences with star goaltenders so it shouldn't be a surprise if they have have a hand in play.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Theodore breaks down and lets in 4 goals vs the Sens this evening, seems like they could really benefit from having Luongo now to stabilize that team. Helping them make the playoffs in this short season.

Watched Matthias this Sens game and he seems like a pretty solid player, him along with Drew Shore, Clemmenson would suffice for RL + Ray? and it wouldn't disturb their core team, plus they still get to keep Bjugstad.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The Luongo trade...

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they haveand it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Like, how?

“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.

“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”

That Luongo has been a prince through this whole trade/no trade fiasco goes without saying, but Gillis said it anyway.

“We have a really good player here who brings a tremendous amount to the team, his professionalism, his willingness to work — he’s the kind of player that changes the culture on a team and shows players what it means to be an elite-level player,” he said.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canu ... z2IfmX8Rel
I have no ideal who that mystery team is, but I bet that team has a "#1 goalie" that they have to deal with first before making the trade for RL.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote:
The Luongo trade...

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they haveand it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Like, how?

“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.

“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”

That Luongo has been a prince through this whole trade/no trade fiasco goes without saying, but Gillis said it anyway.

“We have a really good player here who brings a tremendous amount to the team, his professionalism, his willingness to work — he’s the kind of player that changes the culture on a team and shows players what it means to be an elite-level player,” he said.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canu ... z2IfmX8Rel
I have no ideal who that mystery team is, but I bet that team has a "#1 goalie" that they have to deal with first before making the trade for RL.
Really not sure who this could be - can only think Philly as they have to get rid of Bryzgalov first. Don't know who else it would be.

The way I read that is the deal isn't done and Gillis could wait to do it if he so chooses. I think. He's got a good return on the table and will wait until something happens with this other player or some other team makes him a better offer.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Have I missed anything or why is Tampa not in the picture?

They could use Luongo just as much as Florida and still close to the parents house (well closer than TO)

Of course Luongo would have to agree ......
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they haveand it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait.
SKYO wrote: I have no ideal who that mystery team is
Diehard1 wrote: Really not sure who this could be
Ummmm it's not who anybody thinks it is guys. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Have I missed anything or why is Tampa not in the picture?
Yes and run "Lindback" through the search engine good buddy. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Boston Canucker wrote:
SKYO wrote:I like the Keith Jones analogy on NBC sports regarding Lu/Schneider.
"It's similar to the Brett Favre - Aaron Rodgers situation, move Favre, Rodgers takes over and wins the Superbowl.
As it just takes away all the conflict and whirlwind stories the media loves to conjure up.

Ultimately it lets Schneider know, no matter what, he's the #1 go to guy.
Yes, but they also know nothing - unsurprisingly - of the relationship between the two goalies. The other guy's comment about Luongo putting the knife in was stupid, uninformed, since Lou actually verbally backed up CS and by all accounts has been supportive of him. And Milbury's blaming AV for pulling him was typical wingnut city. Gillis can't tell the coach Luongo will be on the bench but you can't put him in...stupid. The game was lost anyway, but pulling CS was quite understandable.
OMG, does that fuck Milbury still have a soapbox??? he can go fuck himself...seriously...
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: Have I missed anything or why is Tampa not in the picture?
Yes and run "Lindback" through the search engine good buddy. :thumbs:
You mean the goalie that has played a total of 40 NHL games, drafted 7th round and has a 2.58 GAA and a 0.913 SV%?

You still didn't answer the question :thumbs: