So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by coco_canuck »

Topper wrote:Whether true or not GMMG's comments do two positive things.
1 - They deflect the discussion away from the two goaltenders and back onto GMMG.

2 - He's fucking with the reporters minds by getting them off their Nonis/GMMG track and making them do their own homework.
This.

From what's been reported by a few people, including LeBrun who says Gillis has been "offered good pieces, just not the right ones" it seem GMMG has a decent market and he's at the very least getting something good in return.

It's about snuffing out the right deal. And despite what the media consistently imply, GMMG is nowhere near a pressure point of trading Luo. Unless some unforeseen circumstances or the team struggling mightily around the trade deadline, the pressure point to trade Luongo is next off-season, probably around the draft.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:
Topper wrote:Whether true or not GMMG's comments do two positive things.
1 - They deflect the discussion away from the two goaltenders and back onto GMMG.

2 - He's fucking with the reporters minds by getting them off their Nonis/GMMG track and making them do their own homework.
This.

From what's been reported by a few people, including LeBrun who says Gillis has been "offered good pieces, just not the right ones" it seem GMMG has a decent market and he's at the very least getting something good in return.

It's about snuffing out the right deal. And despite what the media consistently imply, GMMG is nowhere near a pressure point of trading Luo. Unless some unforeseen circumstances or the team struggling mightily around the trade deadline, the pressure point to trade Luongo is next off-season, probably around the draft.
LeBrun also stood outside the NHL office in New York the day the lockout broke and claimed Luongo to TO was a done deal and he knew the players but in fairness to the TO players wouldn't announce them until the ratification process was done...he's a bit of schmuck me thinks

I find it hard to believe that Gillis would say what he has said if he had any kind of a deal. Toppers observation points to an intentional media mindfuck...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

coco_canuck wrote: It's about snuffing out the right deal. And despite what the media consistently imply, GMMG is nowhere near a pressure point of trading Luo. Unless some unforeseen circumstances or the team struggling mightily around the trade deadline, the pressure point to trade Luongo is next off-season, probably around the draft.
Good call coco. As long as we're within the cap, there's no reason to trade Lou. Sure, we could use a second line centre, but we create another hole in the crease behind Schneider. Odds are one of these two goalies (and probably both) get hot sooner rather than later, and a hot goalie can single handedly win us games more-so than the wannabe Kesler (Bozak or whoever).

If Gillis gets the right deal during the season, I can see him pulling the trigger. But I think the market grows in the offseason (Hi Philly). The cap drops next year, but I also imagine Gillis has plans to get us under it (bye bye Ballard, Manny etc.) on top of the Luongo situation.

Where's Farhan during all this? This is a great time for a Luongo for Lecavalier thread...
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

ukcanuck wrote: LeBrun also stood outside the NHL office in New York the day the lockout broke and claimed Luongo to TO was a done deal and he knew the players but in fairness to the TO players wouldn't announce them until the ratification process was done...he's a bit of schmuck me thinks
That was John Shannon.

I don't recall LeBrun saying anything like that, but if you can provide a link...otherwise LeBrun is pretty solid as far as insiders go.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: LeBrun also stood outside the NHL office in New York the day the lockout broke and claimed Luongo to TO was a done deal and he knew the players but in fairness to the TO players wouldn't announce them until the ratification process was done...he's a bit of schmuck me thinks
That was John Shannon.

I don't recall LeBrun saying anything like that, but if you can provide a link...otherwise LeBrun is pretty solid as far as insiders go.

It was Shannon CoCo, you are right. At the time I asked around and was told in no uncertain terms that prior to the lockout Luongo had not been asked to waive his NTC. I remember saying so at the time that I was doubtful that a del was worked out. It was a planted story by Burke. He had made what he termed was his last best offer before the lockout and was trying to intimidate MG into taking it. This is were his threats that the new CBA would be punitive and that trading Luongo after the CBA would be hard. This is the shite that MG was referring to when he blasted a team for planting false stories and using bullying tactics to try and get Luongo.

I have no doubt that the leaves coveted and maybe still covet Luongo but I also have no doubts that Burke and now maybe Nonis think they can get a sweetheart deal.

But if MG does have a deal worked out and it is with a team that hasn't been in on the Luongo rumour mill then I am as mystified as the next. Kinda curious too!
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:
That was John Shannon.

No it was LeBrun, I don't have a link so I won't press the issue, however I distinctly remember watching a clip with him and kypreos standing outside the NHL office with that flyers Manniquin in the background and thinking he's either an idiot for making such a statement or caught up in the excitement of having hockey back... Guess he could be forgiven for the latter :)

( kypper kept prodding him to say it was Bozak and Kadri...)
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

ukcanuck wrote: No it was LeBrun, I don't have a link so I won't press the issue, however I distinctly remember watching a clip with him and kypreos standing outside the NHL office with that flyers Manniquin in the background and thinking he's either an idiot for making such a statement or caught up in the excitement of having hockey back... Guess he could be forgiven for the latter :)

No, you're wrong.

LeBrun works for ESPN/TSN

Kypreos and Shannon work for Sportsnet.

So it's not possible you saw LeBrun and Kypreos broadcasting together.

Shannon was the one who "broke" the Luongo to Toronto as soon as the lockout is over and he was adamant it was going to happen.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: No it was LeBrun, I don't have a link so I won't press the issue, however I distinctly remember watching a clip with him and kypreos standing outside the NHL office with that flyers Manniquin in the background and thinking he's either an idiot for making such a statement or caught up in the excitement of having hockey back... Guess he could be forgiven for the latter :)

No, you're wrong.

LeBrun works for ESPN/TSN

Kypreos and Shannon work for Sportsnet.

So it's not possible you saw LeBrun and Kypreos broadcasting together.

Shannon was the one who "broke" the Luongo to Toronto as soon as the lockout is over and he was adamant it was going to happen.
My mistake, I guess I'm confusing the goatees lol ...carry on
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

There is nothing fucking cryptic about what Gillis said. He's fucking with everybody. There is no mystery team, blah, blah, blah. It's a pretty much a 'back at ya' for the Canadian hockey media back east in Toronto whom deep down are pure Maple Leaf fans to the bone. Gillis just wants to get off on watching them debate on and on over what he said. He's sending them on a wild goose chase. We are no closer to a deal than we were 8 months ago.

It was only a few nights before when Gillis had ripped into those clowns back east.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Speaking of the leaves with Lupal breaking a bone in his arm and out indefinitely I wonder fi they can affords to trade any forwards now. It might put more pressure on them to do something though.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: But if MG does have a deal worked out and it is with a team that hasn't been in on the Luongo rumour mill then I am as mystified as the next. Kinda curious too!
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that no one outside of Canucks management really knows how this will play out, and anyone wagering an opinion, is doing nothing more than guess work at this point.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: But if MG does have a deal worked out and it is with a team that hasn't been in on the Luongo rumour mill then I am as mystified as the next. Kinda curious too!
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that no one outside of Canucks management really knows how this will play out, and anyone wagering an opinion, is doing nothing more than guess work at this point.

And maybe that was the whole point of the MG comments. Just pissing on everyone to keep them puzzled and guessing.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote: And maybe that was the whole point of the MG comments. Just pissing on everyone to keep them puzzled and guessing.
They had Bob Mackenzie on the team 1040 at lunch when I was grabbing a bite to eat. He think the mystery team might be Edmonton?? :eh:

Yeah I'm sure Luo would waive his no trade to play in Edmonton!

Unless it's a three way deal that sends another tender Edmonton's way the Canucks and Oilers are not dealing any time soon.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: And maybe that was the whole point of the MG comments. Just pissing on everyone to keep them puzzled and guessing.
They had Bob Mackenzie on the team 1040 at lunch when I was grabbing a bite to eat. He think the mystery team might be Edmonton?? :eh:

Yeah I'm sure Luo would waive his no trade to play in Edmonton!

Unless it's a three way deal that sends another tender Edmonton's way the Canucks and Oilers are not dealing any time soon.
I thought RL to Edm was ridiculous, but now that you mention a 3 way deal, maybe it could work with the other team being Philly. The Flyers sending Bryz to the Coilers, Luongo to the Flyers, with the Canucks getting whatever MG is hoping to get, like something for a cup run now and a quality player/prospect for the long run + pick.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Mrs. Bobby Lou had a hard time adjusting to Vancouver I can't see her brining her bikini clad children to Edmonton. Travel to and from Vancouver is also easier than in Edmonton. I can see if it is Philly them trying to arrange a 3 way, not with Mr and Mrs Bobby Lou of course, but with three teams. We know they have to dump that funny goalie they have so it makes sense.

Such intrigue. When all is said is done what we know for sure is that some will like the deal, some will hate the deal and RD will hate the deal even if he likes it :D :D :D

Calgary fans will be pissed that we got rid of the Luongo contract, suddenly they will stop calling him 7uongo and start hailing him as are only hope for a cup. They will be pissed at whatever return we get and feel that the Flames should trade Bo, Iggy and Kipper and get 100 times whoever we get for Lou because all three of those players are 100 times better than Lou who they will now love because he will be an x Canuck.

And the leaves will just keep on being the leaves.