So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Potatoe1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:
If we don't move him now, or this summer, he has an out clause in his contract in 2 years and then he's gone anyways.

Not that I disagree, but what exactly does that "out clause" stipulate?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
If we don't move him now, or this summer, he has an out clause in his contract in 2 years and then he's gone anyways.

Not that I disagree, but what exactly does that "out clause" stipulate?
This is what Capgeek has:

KNOWN CLAUSES (note: if player has been traded, clauses may no longer apply): NTC (player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; if player does not submit trade list at that time, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018). If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I know its been widely reported and accepted that he wants out, but I wonder how carved in stone that is? I'm picturing a Luongo holding up a Stanley cup in Canucks uniform, returning to to glory and that conversation they used to have about who is better, Broduer or Luongo and a big Finger waving in the air "F" you to all the 7uongo mammyrammers ...if I'm a world class competitor that would feel pretty awesome.

I know that's dreaming technicolor with Dolby 7.0 but where else would Luongo get that?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote:I know its been widely reported and accepted that he wants out, but I wonder how carved in stone that is? I'm picturing a Luongo holding up a Stanley cup in Canucks uniform, returning to to glory and that conversation they used to have about who is better, Broduer or Luongo and a big Finger waving in the air "F" you to all the 7uongo mammyrammers ...if I'm a world class competitor that would feel pretty awesome.

I know that's dreaming technicolor with Dolby 7.0 but where else would Luongo get that?
I think someone would have to... take care :look: .... of his wife.

Then Gillis would have to fire AV, bring back Ian Clark, and promise to trade Schneids.

Not gonna happen UK. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

UK not sure why you want to rail against the Luongo haters here. For the most part the people on this board like and appreciate Roberto despite the fact he has coiled the sheets massively in some very big games. I still maintain he's a top end goalie, best one this team has ever had and a funny dude to boot. He wants out, his wife wants him out and he will be traded. Your anger should be directed at the open line shows that allow every retard in town to phone and give the whole city a bad name. I swear nobody with an IQ over 100 is allowed to get on the air at 1040.

As an asside if Luo is kept what is the salary cap of the team when Booth and Kesler return ?

Even fully healthy this team has a gaping hole in the middle and could use with a winger or two swapped out in the top 9.

What I am saying is Gillis needs to make some substantial move(s) with the club regardless if he deems the market for Roberto will be better in the summer.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: As an asside if Luo is kept what is the salary cap of the team when Booth and Kesler return ?
Made me realize how much salary is wasted in backup + Kess + Booth.

We're icing a team that's about $15mil under the cap when you think about it.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:UK not sure why you want to rail against the Luongo haters here. For the most part the people on this board like and appreciate Roberto despite the fact he has coiled the sheets massively in some very big games. I still maintain he's a top end goalie, best one this team has ever had and a funny dude to boot. He wants out, his wife wants him out and he will be traded. Your anger should be directed at the open line shows that allow every retard in town to phone and give the whole city a bad name. I swear nobody with an IQ over 100 is allowed to get on the air at 1040.

As an asside if Luo is kept what is the salary cap of the team when Booth and Kesler return ?

Even fully healthy this team has a gaping hole in the middle and could use with a winger or two swapped out in the top 9.

What I am saying is Gillis needs to make some substantial move(s) with the club regardless if he deems the market for Roberto will be better in the summer.
I Didn't mean to give the impression of a railing against or imply anyone here is a Luongo hater, I was actually referring to the typical riotous vancouverite with a cell phone contract and matching asshole and opinion that have contributed to the idea that Luongo isn't a well liked and respected player here...

I am not angry about Luongo going, just thinking about sober second thought ....I hear sometimes that's a good thing :)
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Even fully healthy this team has a gaping hole in the middle and could use with a winger or two swapped out in the top 9.

Not sure I agree Blob.

Sedin / Sedin / Kassian
Booth / Kesler / Burrows
Higgens / Lappy / Hansen
Raymond / Manny / Weiss
Schroder
Volpatti

If Kassians emergence is for real a lot of things change in the top 9. I don't see anyone in the wing positions that needs to be upgraded (though more is always better).

The only soft spot is Lappy as the 3rd line center, but it seems Burrows and Schroder can help out in that area. Further to that veteran checking centers generally come fairly cheap at the deadline.

That said I still think Lu should be moved, but IMO we should be looking for the best young assets we can get back. I'm not terribly bothered if said assets are able to impact the roster this year.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I would like to see a third line centre with a bit more of an offensive upside than Lapierre. Even if both 17 and 33 are healthy heading into the playoffs this team has had trouble scoring goals at times over the last two seasons in the playoffs. Hansen and Higgins could put up a bit better numbers if they had a centre with a bit more skill than Manny or Lappy.

The wing position will be ok if David booth can get back to doing what made him successful a few years ago.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sedin / Sedin / Kassian
Booth / Kesler / Burrows
Higgens / UPGRADE / Hansen
Weise / Manny / Lappy
UPGRADE

Let's win us a Cup eh wot?

Schroeder (1st callup) to Wolves.

Volpatti and Ebbet to Wolves (if they don't clear waivers oh well)

And to hell with Raymond.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hmmm Lou to Florida for Weiss + Matthias.

Sedin / Sedin / Kassian
Higgins / Kesler / Burrows
Booth / Weiss / Hansen
Matthias / Manny / Lappy
Weise
____
Try to focus on someday.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:UK not sure why you want to rail against the Luongo haters here. For the most part the people on this board like and appreciate Roberto despite the fact he has coiled the sheets massively in some very big games. I still maintain he's a top end goalie, best one this team has ever had and a funny dude to boot. He wants out, his wife wants him out and he will be traded. Your anger should be directed at the open line shows that allow every retard in town to phone and give the whole city a bad name. I swear nobody with an IQ over 100 is allowed to get on the air at 1040.

Very well said, Blob.

I am definitely a critic, and won't apologize for that, but I'm also definitely NOT a hater. A hater will never acknowledge the good things he's done. I've always respected him and you will never get an argument from me when we talk about him as one of the best regular season goalies in the League and best we've ever had. I, all of us, have to appreciate the fact we would not have enjoyed all the regular season success we've had the past half-dozen years culminating in two Presidents Trophies without him.

Unfortunately though it's the playoff warts that stand out. For sure there's a lot of blame to go around for that but fact of the matter is one of the biggest reasons this team hasn't enjoyed as much playoff success as it should have is because of his untimely meltdowns, something that's happened far too often to be considered a blip. I'm a firm believer that it's one of the biggest reasons this group hasn't won a Cup, despite him help getting close one year.

Given the situation right now, his age, contract status, and said playoff failures, it makes the most sense to give another younger and cheaper guy, who might be just as good albeit a bit of a wildcard, the opportunity to do what Lu couldn't. If he fails, so what, Lu couldn't do it either and I've reached a point where I'd rather take that chance than have history likely repeating itself over and over again. I think it's time and so does he.

That said, I do marvel at the tremendous professionalism and performance that Lu is gloriously putting on display right now. It's really tremendous to see and affirms what I wrote earlier in this thread about possibly holding on to him for the remainder of the year as insurance policy.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:

Very well said, Blob.

I am definitely a critic, and won't apologize for that, but I'm also definitely NOT a hater. A hater will never acknowledge the good things he's done. I've always respected him and you will never get an argument from me when we talk about him as one of the best regular season goalies in the League and best we've ever had. I, all of us, have to appreciate the fact we would not have enjoyed all the regular season success we've had the past half-dozen years culminating in two Presidents Trophies without him.

Unfortunately though it's the playoff warts that stand out. For sure there's a lot of blame to go around for that but fact of the matter is one of the biggest reasons this team hasn't enjoyed as much playoff success as it should have is because of his untimely meltdowns, something that's happened far too often to be considered a blip. I'm a firm believer that it's one of the biggest reasons this group hasn't won a Cup, despite him help getting close one year.

Given the situation right now, his age, contract status, and said playoff failures, it makes the most sense to give another younger and cheaper guy, who might be just as good albeit a bit of a wildcard, the opportunity to do what Lu couldn't. If he fails, so what, Lu couldn't do it either and I've reached a point where I'd rather take that chance than have history likely repeating itself over and over again. I think it's time and so does he.

That said, I do marvel at the tremendous professionalism and performance that Lu is gloriously putting on display right now. It's really tremendous to see and affirms what I wrote earlier in this thread about possibly holding on to him for the remainder of the year as insurance policy.
I agree in principle with both Blob and you and I know he's had his issues, but he's had some serious help in those meltdowns and I think before his career is over he likely will be hoisting The Cup at some point and if its not in a Canucks uniform there is going to be some gnashing of teeth and ripping of clothes...maybe not on our board but I can think of a few smug pricks out there...
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Even fully healthy this team has a gaping hole in the middle and could use with a winger or two swapped out in the top 9.

Not sure I agree Blob.

If Kassians emergence is for real a lot of things change in the top 9. I don't see anyone in the wing positions that needs to be upgraded (though more is always better).

The only soft spot is Lappy as the 3rd line center, but it seems Burrows and Schroder can help out in that area. Further to that veteran checking centers generally come fairly cheap at the deadline.

That said I still think Lu should be moved, but IMO we should be looking for the best young assets we can get back. I'm not terribly bothered if said assets are able to impact the roster this year.
I'm more concerned about manny than lappy, and he could be tougher to replace,I don't know if Schroder can do whats needed on the 4th line.
Burrows could ,but his mission this season needs to be a sparkplug for that 2nd line (if Kassian keeps it going).
Any trade has to have a back-up goaltender coming back or the Gillis has to have a 3-way deal waiting in the weeds.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mike_Gillis_with_Sekeres_and_Price_Jan31st

MG today on 1040.

Interesting that he let it slip that Luongo did ask him to see if he could trade him. I don't think he meant to let that one out and it certainly contradicts what I have been told. So did Luongo ask for a trade or did he ask MG to have a look see and maybe end up getting traded Is there a difference.

As to why Luongo is staring against Chicago it is simply playing the goalie that gives you the best chance to win. Sounds like it is more Luongo is better in a starter role than a back up role.

I get the sense that the trades MG has been offered thus far are trades that will still be available in the off season, or are the type of trades that will still be available, in any event. So any trade now would not be enough to address sufficiently the other issues on the team and would not be enough to compensate for the loss of strength in net, i.e., having two number one's to rely upon in a shortened season.

So maybe you pick up a 3rd line centre or one who can spot on the 2nd line but you lose the advantage in net. Is that the move that gives us a better shot at a cup? So my read is that unless it is a hockey trade that makes us, overall, a better team, Luongo will not be dealt until the off season. In the off season MG has a chance to fix any other holes, via trade or FA, buy outs , etc. He doesn't have that opportunity right now. Other teams would also have an opportunity to address any hole they have that may occur by trading for Luongo.

So I think that whatever we get for Luongo will not be less than what we could get now and maybe more in the off season. So again, barring a big return right now I doubt he gets moved. Maybe all we really get are a prospect and or pick and a roster player of bottom 9, not top 6. Maybe thats the reality. And if that is the case does it make us better this shortened season? I think not. I doubt this is a problem in the Canucks dressing room so I doubt the distraction BS. In fact I think the opposite. I think the players are going to be more committed to winning for Luongo now, knowing it may be his last year here. Another aspect is that Luongo may not be inclined to waive his NTC mid season and from my take on MG's interview he will not trade Cory.

So if we all have to temper our expectations about a return for Luongo, and it certainly is looking like we may have to, then I'd rather it be in the off season when we will have to re-tool anyway due to cap considerations. We will be dealing with a number of forwards turning FA as well and we should have a better sense of Kesler's health, Booth's ability, or lack thereof, to fit as a top 6 and Ballard's worth and value moving forward. So maybe, just maybe, letting Luongo keep the number one while he is still here is the best decision. Cory will be fine, he is a pro and he will handle the situation like a pro.

Liked how MG said Luongo is enjoying the about face and all the love and respect he is being shown around the league because of this. Finally getting recognized outside of Vancouver for the good goalie he is. Its like he is the poor much maligned, under appreciated, mistreated goalie who has now become the under dog everyone is cheering for.
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only HW the Canucks need