So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

dbr wrote:Dan, granting (purely for the sake of argument) the (laughable) notion that nobody wants to trade for a star player because he gets paid a couple million too much per year over a few too many years... there is simply no way that 29 teams pass on Luongo on waivers.
Ok...I agree he wont clear waivers but if he is waived we still get nothing back. Colour me a pessimist on this one but seeing as he's been on the market forever and is still a Canuck, it's not a stretch to foresee nobody coming up with an offer worthy of this player. How long can it go on? What if he's still a Canuck next September? No way we go into another year with both.
If you need air...call it in
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

I'm reading between the lines here a bit, but GIllis seemed to indicate last night on After Hours that things were a little dry at the moment (that should be pretty obvious). The reported trade that he had in the works doens't seem to be there right now, and as many people have assumed, he also indicated that it involved a loftyish contract coming back.

I don't think we see a situation were we still have 2 goalies by next September. It is far more likely IMO that he takes less in return, perhaps more of a rough around the edges prospect as opposed to a blue chipper. I still expect to get a decent return, but my guess is that it wouldn't help us this season anyway.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

sell Schneider to Florida for their 1st round choice in the next amateur draft...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
dbr wrote:Dan, granting (purely for the sake of argument) the (laughable) notion that nobody wants to trade for a star player because he gets paid a couple million too much per year over a few too many years... there is simply no way that 29 teams pass on Luongo on waivers.
Ok...I agree he wont clear waivers but if he is waived we still get nothing back. Colour me a pessimist on this one but seeing as he's been on the market forever and is still a Canuck, it's not a stretch to foresee nobody coming up with an offer worthy of this player. How long can it go on? What if he's still a Canuck next September? No way we go into another year with both.
Dan, trading Luongo is like selling a Ferrari or a multimillion mansion. Not everyone can afford them but there is certainly a market for them. You just have to be patient.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

this thread is starting to smell like canine feces pasta....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

BIgTuna wrote:And does anyone have a direct quote from Florida ownership saying Luongo's contract is not a problem? Or are you just going by a media report that may be incorrect? Because that contract does not make sense for a financially struggling team.
There is no way there'd be a quote directly from the Panthers on that. Everyone is going on Pierre Lebrun's word which as far as hockey reporters go is pretty decent.

As for the contract not making sense for the Panthers, neither does the one attached to Brian Campbell - in theory anyway. As for whether it actually makes sense for the Panthers or not, I'll take third hand information from Pierre Lebrun over first hand information from you.
They actually needed to take on the Campbell contract to reach the cap floor. And his contract was less than half the years as Luongo.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
BigTuna wrote:There's no pressure at all for Florida to make the playoffs. They won't cave.

Says who ?
Says me. It's over for Florida this year. Too many players/hurt having terrible years. And their division is tougher this season.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

BigTuna wrote:
BIgTuna wrote:And does anyone have a direct quote from Florida ownership saying Luongo's contract is not a problem? Or are you just going by a media report that may be incorrect? Because that contract does not make sense for a financially struggling team.
There is no way there'd be a quote directly from the Panthers on that. Everyone is going on Pierre Lebrun's word which as far as hockey reporters go is pretty decent.

As for the contract not making sense for the Panthers, neither does the one attached to Brian Campbell - in theory anyway. As for whether it actually makes sense for the Panthers or not, I'll take third hand information from Pierre Lebrun over first hand information from you.
They actually needed to take on the Campbell contract to reach the cap floor. And his contract was less than half the years as Luongo.
According to capgeek they hit over $55m in cap and about $51-2m in salary last year, with a $48m floor they could have easily kept Olesz. They could have also just signed another FA but their GM (likely with consent of ownership) decided that a $7m salary with several years left made sense for that franchise.

That being said they can't use contracts like Gudbranson and Huberdeau's to make the floor anymore either..
Last edited by dbr on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Brick Tamland wrote:I'm reading between the lines here a bit, but GIllis seemed to indicate last night on After Hours that things were a little dry at the moment (that should be pretty obvious). The reported trade that he had in the works doens't seem to be there right now, and as many people have assumed, he also indicated that it involved a loftyish contract coming back.

I don't think we see a situation were we still have 2 goalies by next September. It is far more likely IMO that he takes less in return, perhaps more of a rough around the edges prospect as opposed to a blue chipper. I still expect to get a decent return, but my guess is that it wouldn't help us this season anyway.
I felt Gillis was indicating keeping both goaltenders for this season might be the best option as far as giving the Canucks a chance to win this season,and it would have to be something significant coming back to make it worthwhile giving up that advantage.
As far as the reported trade Friedman asked him about,that sounded like it was awhile back,so it's not surprising " that it doesn't seem to be there right now" and doubt it has much to do with a softening Luongo market.
right now, it"s looking like the Gillis plans on riding both goaltenders for this season and they'll take what the market bears in the offseason for Luongo
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

His position all along has been he will only trade one of the goalies if the trade makes us better today and/or in the future. He won't do a salary dump and he doesn't want bad contracts back. Nothing in his position has changed from day one.

I think the longer the season goes the more likely that the trade would have to make us significantly better this year for a deal to happen this season. A deal that will make us better in the future can be done in the summer.

I'm sure if he is offered a top 2 centre and a pick/prospect and a back up goalie he may pull the trigger now. He has the cap space to take a salary dump for this year but does not want a salary dump on a long term contract. We have our own cap concerns next season already so we don't need another one.

Theodore has a torn groin and likely done for the season word is today. So unless the Panthers think Luongo can get them back into the playoff hunt I see no reason for them to pull the trigger now, unless they feel someone else may.

I still think a team like the Flyers may bite in the off season once they can buy that Russian guy out. The caps extended Hotlby and they seem to think he is the real deal but I think him backing up Luongo is a better deal :D

I don't think there is a good market today for Luongo. Never say never but it does look more and more like an off season move. For sure MG will not move him just to do so at the trade deadline.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BigTuna wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
BigTuna wrote:There's no pressure at all for Florida to make the playoffs. They won't cave.

Says who ?
Says me. It's over for Florida this year. Too many players/hurt having terrible years. And their division is tougher this season.
The next time you are right will be the first time. You have been bumping your gums about how good the Laffs are every time they race out to a decent start. You tell us how this year it's different and tht they will cruise to the playoffs. Don't think i have forgotten your act here or at central. :lol: ;)

Your credibility rivals that of a politician.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Anybody else think the team needs another center? They are consistently getting beaten on faceoffs without Kes and Manny, and can only barely beat a team like the Flames in faceoffs. They have too many wingers and not enough guys in the middle, should be relatively easy to figure out.

You've got Raymond, Booth, Higgins, Ballard, Picks and prospects that you could use to dangle for somebody - don't need Gretzky, just somebody who can win faceoffs and play a two way game. With Schroeder playing less and less, Lappy playing like he did 3 years ago (that's not good) and Kes out it's needed badly.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

Hockey Widow wrote:His position all along has been he will only trade one of the goalies if the trade makes us better today and/or in the future. He won't do a salary dump and he doesn't want bad contracts back. Nothing in his position has changed from day one.

I think the longer the season goes the more likely that the trade would have to make us significantly better this year for a deal to happen this season. A deal that will make us better in the future can be done in the summer.

I'm sure if he is offered a top 2 centre and a pick/prospect and a back up goalie he may pull the trigger now. He has the cap space to take a salary dump for this year but does not want a salary dump on a long term contract. We have our own cap concerns next season already so we don't need another one.

Theodore has a torn groin and likely done for the season word is today. So unless the Panthers think Luongo can get them back into the playoff hunt I see no reason for them to pull the trigger now, unless they feel someone else may.

I still think a team like the Flyers may bite in the off season once they can buy that Russian guy out. The caps extended Hotlby and they seem to think he is the real deal but I think him backing up Luongo is a better deal :D

I don't think there is a good market today for Luongo. Never say never but it does look more and more like an off season move. For sure MG will not move him just to do so at the trade deadline.
I don't see Philly happening at all I have a tough time seeing any owner buying out Bryz's deal 7 yrs left??and then on top of it taking on Luongo's ticket for the next 9 yrs at 34 yrs of age... I also get the sense it will be a buyers market i.e Kipper,Thomas on the island, possibly Bernier in LA... I think Schneider goes this summer I could be wrong on that but I just don't see a market this summer for a 34 yr old goalie with 9 yrs left any more attractive 5-6 months from now than it is now...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

coco_canuck wrote:
Topper wrote: Speaking of which, I saw a headline (NP?) where Carlyle believes he has NHL goaltending.
I'm pretty sure that was misspeak or a typo, clearly meant AHL goaltending...

If Roberto is going to Toronto, Burke will pay a nice price.
:lol:

Ben Scrivens 13 29 2.41 .923 2
James Reimer 12 26 2.43 .923 1
Last edited by BigTuna on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote:
Zedlee wrote:Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we're getting much of anything back for Luongo.
The longer this goes on (Luongo still being a Canuck) the more it tells us that the market ain't exactly chomping at the bits to land Luongo and the longer it does go on the more antsy Lou gets and the more antsy Lou gets the more pressure he puts on ole Mikey to get him outta here and the more pressure Mike gets the lesser chance it is for him to land a big fish for a dangling Lou.

I don't see this boding all that well for us. Maybe Bozak and Kadri is the best we get and if so....yikes! I still predict Kadri being a total bust at the pro level and Bozak, the up coming UFA is nothing more than a poor mans Brenden Morrison.

I am hoping that Gillis can land a first round pick from a fringe team and ends up being a high pick and that we have a shite year, missing the playoffs and end up with two lottery picks. That would really put Mikey in Chef Boi RD's good books.
Bad prediction. You guys wish you'd get a player as good as Kadri back for Luongo. Not going to happen.