Best Canucks Lineup

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Best Canucks Lineup

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I was thinking, if I had to put together a "Best" Canucks lineup, just one player for each position, who would I choose?

Hmmmm....
Center: Henrik Sedin, Thomas Gradin, Patrik Sundstrom, (Trevor Linden), Don Lever, Igor Larionov
LW: Markus Naslund, Daniel Sedin, Tony Tanti, Greg Adams, Geoff Courtnall
RW: Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Stan Smyl, Alex Mogilny
D: Mattias Ohlund, Ed Jovanovski, Jyrkki Lumme, Dan Hamhuis, Sami Salo, Doug Lidster, Willie Mitchell, Harold Snepsts
Goal: Roberto Luongo, Kirk McLean, Richard Brodeur, Gary Smith

It pains me to leave Linden off this team, however I don't see how I can put him over Bure at RW, and at center he would have to beat out Henrik, Gradin, and Sundstrom.

So there it is:

Naslund-Henrik-Bure
Ohlund-Jovanovski
Luongo

What's your lineup look like?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Best Canucks Lineup

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mogilny Henrik Bure

Reinhart Lumme

reg season... Lui

playoffs......Big Mac

Good topic. Shall I sleep on my 23 man roster after a few buds and buds or should we mix it into this thread ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Mogilny Henrik Bure

Reinhart Lumme

reg season... Lui

playoffs......Big Mac

Good topic. Shall I sleep on my 23 man roster after a few buds and buds or should we mix it into this thread ?
Why not - I would be interested if Orland Kurtenbach, Curt Fraser, or Todd Bertuzzi made the cut.

Reinhart - Lumme is a good D pair... I debated Lumme, but went with Jovanovski over him. I still feel like Ohlund was the best we had, although I tend to forget about Reinhart, he wasn't in Vancouver that long - but he was right up there with the league's best PP quarterbacks... not to mention Jeff Brown.

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

OK, Blob - you got me thinking about an entire roster...

My #1 line is explosive, fast, and high scoring. Thomas Gradin is my No. 1 center - gritty, talented and defensively responsible. His two wingers are both capable of breaking a game wide open: Lester Pearson winner Markus Naslund, and two time 60 goal scorer Pavel Bure.

Naslund - Gradin - Bure

My 2nd line combines artistry, resillience, and one of the best power forwards to play the game (ya, I'm aware that Neely didn't have his peak years in Vancouver... I picked him anyway). Henrik Sedin is at center with his brother Daniel on the left, and Cam Neely on the right. Just imagine how many goals Neely would have bagged on this line, and if anyone touched a hair on the twins head --- look out!

Daniel - Henrik - Neely

My 3rd line can score as well, with Patrik Sundstrom at center, 40 goal scorer Tony Tanti on the left, and all-around player, and 30 goal scorer Trevor Linden on the right. Added bonus: If Sundstrom is tossed from the face-off circle, Linden steps in.

Tanti - Sundstrom - Linden

My 4th line would scare the crap out of the opposition - but, although intimidating, these guys can play and score. Curt Fraser on left wing, Orland Kurtenbach at center, and Ryan Kesler on right wing. Look out!!!

Fraser - Kurtenbach - Kesler

As my spare forward, I would carry Stan Smyl to be inserted into the lineup in case of injury, or if we need a spark - they guy can play scoring line, checking line, and can fight middleweights. It was tough to leave Igor Larionov and Ivan Hlinka off of the team, but I favoured the Swedes at center. Bertuzzi also came up just short, but he couldn't beat out Bure, Neely, Linden, Kesler...

My #1 defense pairing is Mattias Ohlund and Ed Jovanovski. On the nights when Jovanovski had his legs, Ohlund would hang back and let Jovanovski spark the offence, but if Ed was having an off game, Ohlund could cover for him, and pick up the offensive slack. If any rough stuff broke out, JovoCop would be there to flail away. Right Adam Deadmarsh?

Ohlund - Jovanovski

My #2 pairing is all Finnish: Jyrki Lumme and Sami Salo. Both players can play at both ends of the ice, but I would be counting on them for creating offence from the back line. These two would also be running my first powerplay unit.

Lumme - Salo

My 3rd pairing is Dan Hamhuis and Paul Reinhart – a mixture of a shut down/smart passer/penalty kill defenceman and a powerplay quarterback.

Hamhuis - Reinhart

My 7th defenceman is a tough choice, but I have to have Harold Snepsts on my team. Heart and soul player, giving his all when he gets in the lineup - although it's likely I keep him out of the lineup if we're playing against Mike Bossy.

I know, I know, how could I leave out Willie Mitchell, Doug Lidster, or even Garth Butcher... I guess they get honourable mention.

At goalie, I pick the best goalie that has ever played for the Canucks: Roberto Luongo. His backup would be Kirk McLean, with Richard Brodeur waiting in the wings for playing time.

Luongo
McLean
Brodeur

And that's my team.

Markus Naslund – Thomas Gradin – Pavel Bure
Daniel Sedin – Henrik Sedin – Cam Neely
Tony Tanti – Patrik Sundstrom – Trevor Linden
Curt Fraser - Orland Kurtenbach – Ryan Kesler
Stan Smyl

Mattias Ohlund - Ed Jovanovski
Jyrki Lumme – Sami Salo
Dan Hamhuis – Paul Reinhart
Harold Snepsts

Roberto Luongo
Kirk McLean
Richard Brodeur

Six former captains on my team - but I would give the captaincy to the first ever captain of the Canucks, Orland Kurtenbach.

S_C

By the way, Hall of Fame broadcaster Jim Robson produced his all-time Canucks' team for a TSN broadcast... In case you missed it, here it is:

Forwards:
1. Markus Naslund - Trevor Linden - Stan Smyl
2. Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Pavel Bure
3. Don Lever - Thomas Gradin - Tony Tanti
4. Greg Adams - Patrik Sundstrom - Todd Bertuzzi

Utility Player:
Dale Tallon

Defence:
1. Mattias Ohlund 2. Jyrki Lumme
3. Doug Lidster 4. Harol Snepsts
5. Dennis Kearns 6. Ed Jovanovski

Goal:
1. Kirk McLean
2. Roberto Luongo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What about -

Rick Headly Blight
Dennis Ververgart
Donny Lalonde
Andreas Boudrias
Pitt Martin
Claire Alexander
Bobby Manno
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

RoyalDude wrote:What about -

Rick Headly Blight
Dennis Ververgart
Donny Lalonde
Andreas Boudrias
Pitt Martin
Claire Alexander
Bobby Manno

exactly what about them. :D Claire Alexander ( alias the milkman) I'd forgotten all about him. Nice skater Manno
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Sedin / Sedin / Neely
Nasland / Larionov / Bure
Almo / Kesler / Linden
Tiger / Gradin / Smyl

Ohlund / Lumme
Jovo / Snepsts
Brown / Reinhart

Wasn't sure if Neely should be included here but a line with him and the Twins tough to pass up.

Larionov gets the nod on the second line because of chemistry with Bure. Almo on the checking line might seem odd to those who dont remember how good he was in his own zone. 4th line wings wouldn't play very much so might as well go for some belligerence.

Ohlund + Lumme take the tough minutes and PK, while Brown and Reinhart get the soft ice and power play. Jovo and Snepsts take the rest and provide some jam to the back end.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Interesting how many people have included Neely based on his play in Boston (certainly not in Van) yet have excluded Messier & Sundin. (explanation not required)
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

If Neely is in this discussion then I suppose Messier and Sundin make these teams too. Mike Peca?

What about Dave Babych? Diduck? Some pretty good years in Van. You could argue these guys over Snepts

Some very good defensemen over the years, but no real stud
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

ClamRussel wrote:Interesting how many people have included Neely based on his play in Boston (certainly not in Van) yet have excluded Messier & Sundin. (explanation not required)
You stole my post!
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ClamRussel wrote:Interesting how many people have included Neely based on his play in Boston (certainly not in Van) yet have excluded Messier & Sundin. (explanation not required)
Yeah I kind of agree. The list should be based on how they played in a Canuck uni.

Swap Neey with Bertuzzi for my team, not sure why I missed him in the first place.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Almo Larionov Bure
Sedin Sedin Linden
Naslund Kesler Bertuzzi
Fraser Gradin Smyl

13th forward- Cam Neely- scored 56 goals in limited icetime before he was dealt by inept management at the ripe old age of 21 .
Thug to call up if necessary- Gino Odjick

Reinhart Ohlund
Lumme Jovo
Snepsts Brown

7th d man Willie Mitchell
8th d-man Dennis Kearns

Luongo
McClean
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I can't believe the Algonquin Assassin didn't make anyone's cut so far..... :lol:
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Mëds wrote:I can't believe the Algonquin Assassin didn't make anyone's cut so far..... :lol:
I went with Curt Fraser over Odjick... It's just that Fraser-Plett was such a defining moment; like, holy shit, we could win this thing...

Although Odjick had surprising hockey ability, and many epic tilts, I don't remember him having such a pivotal moment. He gave Bure more room, but Bure also gave himself room with tough chippy play of his own.

On Neely, I get that his best years weren't as a Canuck, but come on - who wouldn't want to have one of the best power forwards of all time on right wing with the Sedins? Neely was a pretty smart player as well, so I think the line would have had chemistry.

I like Blob's line selection too - that would be an awesome team - many of the same players I chose, but in different combinations.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I don't recall them using the word Power Forward in Frasers era but if they had him and Terry O'Reilly would have been top of the list. Fraser was intimadating and his over hand right put away a lot of dudes. He also scored on a consistent pace until his diabetes caught up with ( and before the Canuck management understood his problem... what a gaff that was ) That line Smyl-Gradin-Fraser was a terrific line, they could play the game any way you wanted and Gradin was way under rated. Every defensive opposing player had his neck on a swivel Just what we need now . Hlinka was magic to. He was the first player to set up on the half board on the P/P he could snap a shot right from the half board past the goalie, what a wrist shot the guy had. And lets not forget Bubla. As smart a defenseman I've ever watched and strong .. unbelievable
cheers