Where Will They Play?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Where Will They Play?

Post by Per »

So... a Swedish team, Vita Hästen, had basically reached an agreement with Todd Bertuzzi, that he should play for them (his team mate Jonathan Eriksson has already joined them), when it turned out apparently he cannot leave North America due to the still on going legal process... Jeeze! How many years is that going to go on?! :o

Meanwhile, Matt Duchene had two assists, Viktor Stålberg one goal and Fabian Brunnström scored the gwg as Frölunda beat Modo 4-3.

There are now three SEL teams that have broken the agreement not to add NHL players, and I'm expecting more to follow! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but the Sedins have been talking to Näslund, and if nothing happens soon they may consider heading back home to play for Modo.

Must be frustrating as hell for them that Bettman seems to be stealing yet another season from them during their peak years. :(
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Bobby Ryan joining Anze Kopitar in Mora in the Swedish second tier leauge, Allsvenskan.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Per wrote:Bobby Ryan joining Anze Kopitar in Mora in the Swedish second tier leauge, Allsvenskan.
Mr. I want to stay and be part of the solution.

Not enough contracts left in the SEL? why 2nd tier?
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

CFP! wrote: why 2nd tier?
They just want to play... :lol: :drink:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

CFP! wrote:
Per wrote:Bobby Ryan joining Anze Kopitar in Mora in the Swedish second tier leauge, Allsvenskan.
Mr. I want to stay and be part of the solution.

Not enough contracts left in the SEL? why 2nd tier?
Because most SEL teams still stick to the agreement not to hire lockout players, even though a court ruled that this amounted to collussion; that each team must decide what is in its own best interest. So far only three SEL teams (Frölunda 2, Modo 2 and Brynäs 1) have added NHL players.

The second tier however, is a hotbed of teams hoping to be promoted to the SEL, and one or two NHL calibre players is exactly what can make that difference! The real fun begins if the entire NHL season tanks, and the two worst SEL teams, without NHL reinforcement, have to take on four challengers from the second tier with their rosters stacked with bona fide superstars! :lol:

I bet then they will finally start to regret that they deprived us fans of world class entertainment. :evil:
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Our number one GT'er heading over to Switzerland. Isn't he on the committee that always stands behind Fehr and co? Still dont get this union.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410434

Hope he doesn't get hurt.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

CFP! wrote:Our number one GT'er heading over to Switzerland. Isn't he on the committee that always stands behind Fehr and co? Still dont get this union.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410434

Hope he doesn't get hurt.
The Swiss league is not a bad choice for a goalie! 8-)

How many Swiss skaters can you name? Any?
I thought so.*

How about Swiss goalies?
Aebischer, Gerber, Hiller...

This is not pure coincidence. Hockey is very popular in Switzerland, but its a small country with little hockey tradition.
They're not bound by EU rules that ban discrimination against players from other EU member countries, so they have a hard limit on import players; four per team.

Since hockey is popular, and there aren't many world class Swiss players, the teams tend to use their money wisely and buy four very good players. Often former NHL players returning home to Europe to wind down, or borderline NHLers. Through a kind of gentlemen's agreement they then tend to pitch their imports against each other, which means that whenever the imports hit the ice, there is play that is at least good AHL/SEL level, then you have the scrubs playing in between. Since the goalie is stuck in goal the whole time, it's kind of like interval training, where you play a shift of borderline NHL hockey, then a shift of beer leauge, then a shift of borderline NHL, then a shift of beer league.

I think this must be excellent training for a goalie, because they learn to be prepared for anything. One shift you are facing world class snipers, but you have competent D helping you out. Next shift you are on your own, but the competition is shooting blanks...

Mind you, Swiss hockey overall has been improving, so maybe beer league isn't fair.
These days it might even be ECHL standard in between the imports, but still. You get what I mean.
And I still think it must be excellent work-out for an aspiring goalie! 8-)

*In all fairness, there are two Swiss forwards (Hnat Domenichelli & Paul diPietro) and three D-men (Mark Streit, Luca Sbisa & Yannick Weber) who have played more than 100 NHL games. I'm sure you all knew about them, eh?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I guess Schneider has his work cut out for him with his new/temporary team but has played pretty damn well.
Ambri-Piotta are a bottom feeder but since adding him they've reeled off 3 out of 4 wins with him as a major factor. His 1 loss was a 1-0 shutout so you can't say he isn't doing his part.

http://www.hcap.ch/it/calendario-campio ... -2011-2012
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Kristian Huselius has signed with AIK in the SEL for the rest of the season.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Per wrote:Kristian Huselius has signed with AIK in the SEL for the rest of the season.
I wonder how much Huselius has left ? He was a player, UFA, that I thought might be a good fit here. Great passer of the puck. In fact I often wondered why TO didn't sign him to set up Kessel The only reason I could come up with is maybe father time has caught up with him. Se if he can set up Jensen for a few more :D
cheers
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mason Raymond has signed a contract for eleven games with Örebro in the Swedish second tier league.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Fred wrote:
Per wrote:Kristian Huselius has signed with AIK in the SEL for the rest of the season.
I wonder how much Huselius has left ? He was a player, UFA, that I thought might be a good fit here. Great passer of the puck. In fact I often wondered why TO didn't sign him to set up Kessel The only reason I could come up with is maybe father time has caught up with him. Se if he can set up Jensen for a few more :D
Huselius is off to a pretty good start with three points (2G 1A) injust two games. He is +4 and has had 7 SOG.

Jenssen is not too shabby either. 16 points (12G 4A) in 31 games has him fourth in points but first in goals on the team. He is -9, which is bad, but there are three guys worse than that on the team, and has had 79 SOG, which is more than anyone else on the team.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Per wrote:Mason Raymond has signed a contract for eleven games with Örebro in the Swedish second tier league.

Per, what's the standard of this league? Given the fact it's not even the best league in your country, I'm assuming Raymond "should" light it up?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Raymond is one of those guys who needs to play to get himself a contract for next season. Vancouver renewed his deal on a flyer that he be healthy and perform. He needed this season to prove he has a future, either in Vancouver or elsewhere in the league. Guys like Raymond are really getting hurt by the lockout.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.