Where Will They Play?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Where Will They Play?

Post by ukcanuck »

Cornuck wrote:And if the owners brought in replacement players, the cry of "Scab!" would be heard from coast to coast.

But it's fine they find another league to stay in 'game shape' and bounce guys off the team.
I don't get picking out one hypocrisy over there, while ignoring the larger one right here...
whether or not the players are hypocrites for going to Europe during the lockout doesn't make the owners any less responsible for the tactics they have employed.

This could be solved today if the owners and Bettman were willing to open the dialog beyond the percent of revenue they want. but they wont because its not about saving franchises or can't afford salaries... its about breaking the players solidarity. lets go back to Alan Eagleson and deciding where, when and how, because they run the NHL.

* Saying poor us we cant afford you so take a pay cut then handing out how many millions of dollars in the past weeks? that's not colossal hypocrisy?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Troski would be proud of you UKCanuck. :D Man Uncle Joe looks like Attila the Hun by comparison :lol: :lol: I enjoy some of your arguments
cheers
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ukcanuck wrote:
Cornuck wrote:And if the owners brought in replacement players, the cry of "Scab!" would be heard from coast to coast.

But it's fine if they find another league to stay in 'game shape' and bounce guys off the team.
I don't get picking out one hypocrisy over there, while ignoring the larger one right here...
We could fill the entire board with the vastness of hypocrisy involved in the NHL, but I wrote about the one that this thread was addressing. :?

Will the injustices of life ever end?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Cornuck wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

But it's fine if they find another league to stay in 'game shape' and bounce guys off the team.
We could fill the entire board with the vastness of hypocrisy involved in the NHL, but I wrote about the one that this thread was addressing. :?

Will the injustices of life ever end?
It will end for me when the Canucks win a Stanley cup, the next day I'll be able to move on to some other outrage.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ukcanuck wrote: It will end for me when the Canucks win a Stanley cup, the next day I'll be able to move on to some other outrage.
(allow a couple of days for the hangover to subside...)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: It will end for me when the Canucks win a Stanley cup, the next day I'll be able to move on to some other outrage.
(allow a couple of months for the hangover to subside...)
fyp..... he drinks rubbing alcohol and mouthwash.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Fred wrote:Hey if it's for the love of the game ....which is complete balderdash.... it's about the love of money. There's lots of quality ( ex NHL players and Junior A players ) amateur leagues in Canada if they want to play for the "love of the games" After convincing others that they need huge dollars to risk playing the sport because of injury or length of time they play ... what ever .... they're now willing to play and risk every thing for 1/100th of what they were insisting on before. How do you think fans paying for all those rediculous tickets feel. The poor stiff getting screwed is the 4th line players in the SEL or KHL who's out of a job and the Hell with that guys family.

I know right now some are suggesting that owners should increase the sharing of wealth amongst all the teams ....Hey !!! how about Weber sharing some of his wealth with the guys playing 4th line being paid minimum. :lol:
Actually... During the last lockout several of the Swedish players played for their old teams for free. I really can't see how that could be about money. In fact, they risked losing money if they'd become injured, and lose out on future contracts, so the smarter more economic thing would be not to play, but hey - hockey is their life and what they love to do.

In fact, Forsberg even paid a couple of millions to play. He felt he wanted to join the team from the beginning, so he ignored counting the days like most other players did, and spent more than 183 days in Sweden during 2004, which means he was considered a Swedish resident and had to pay Swedish taxes. Back then we had a wealth tax, which was 1 % of your wealth above SEK 2 million, and Forsberg was good for a couple of hundred million dollars, so his stay in Sweden cost him, whereas the team didn't pay him any salary, just picked up his insurance tab. That tax has been eliminated since by the centre-right coalition we have in government now, so it'd not be as risky for Swedish players to come home this winter.

It's not stealing jobs, it's giving something back to the teams that taught them how to skate and stick handle when they were six.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

It's not stealing jobs, yeah right tell that to the guy who's looking for a job selling newspapers rather than playing hockey. The Sedins have already commented about the SEL not allowing players to come in on short term contracts. When they've returned to the NHl I hope the paperman has kept in shape :D

I guess the high taxes might put a few off or rather than make their NHL money subject to Swedish 58% taxes.It's not just about the Swedes any way it's the KHL and the Czechs what ever league. You can't tell or convince me some one isn't going to feel the pain. And if some one has to feel the pain how about those that are actually involved rather than kicking the can down the road
cheers
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote:
Fred wrote:Hey if it's for the love of the game ....which is complete balderdash.... it's about the love of money. There's lots of quality ( ex NHL players and Junior A players ) amateur leagues in Canada if they want to play for the "love of the games" After convincing others that they need huge dollars to risk playing the sport because of injury or length of time they play ... what ever .... they're now willing to play and risk every thing for 1/100th of what they were insisting on before. How do you think fans paying for all those rediculous tickets feel. The poor stiff getting screwed is the 4th line players in the SEL or KHL who's out of a job and the Hell with that guys family.

I know right now some are suggesting that owners should increase the sharing of wealth amongst all the teams ....Hey !!! how about Weber sharing some of his wealth with the guys playing 4th line being paid minimum. :lol:
Actually... During the last lockout several of the Swedish players played for their old teams for free. I really can't see how that could be about money. In fact, they risked losing money if they'd become injured, and lose out on future contracts, so the smarter more economic thing would be not to play, but hey - hockey is their life and what they love to do.

In fact, Forsberg even paid a couple of millions to play. He felt he wanted to join the team from the beginning, so he ignored counting the days like most other players did, and spent more than 183 days in Sweden during 2004, which means he was considered a Swedish resident and had to pay Swedish taxes. Back then we had a wealth tax, which was 1 % of your wealth above SEK 2 million, and Forsberg was good for a couple of hundred million dollars, so his stay in Sweden cost him, whereas the team didn't pay him any salary, just picked up his insurance tab. That tax has been eliminated since by the centre-right coalition we have in government now, so it'd not be as risky for Swedish players to come home this winter.

It's not stealing jobs, it's giving something back to the teams that taught them how to skate and stick handle when they were six.
I always liked that Forsberg guy :)
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Per that's a nice story and all but that ain't what's happening this time around.

I believe Fehr has also said before that he doesn't like sports at all but likes being a union leader/lawyer and the challenge that brings.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

tantalum wrote: Fehr has said before that he doesn't like sports at all...

Okay I'm begining to understand why they call him Lucifehr....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Per wrote:

Nice footwork evading the three OBESE Canadian hogs at the trough. There's no war going on , you can pull your head out of the sand.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Douglas Murray and Patric Hörnqvist will play for Djurgården.
And, yes, that's the team they played for before heading over to North America.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

That evil Bettman is at it again.
Jaromir Jagr made his debut with the Czech League's Kladno Knights on Wednesday, picking up an assist in a 3-2 defeat at the hands of H.C. Slavia. He was joined by fellow NHLers Tomas Plekanec, Jiri Tlusty, Marek Zidlicky, Roman Cervenka, and Vladimir Sobotka.

But the debut of this band of Czech talent almost didn't happen. The morning of the game, the players' transfer cards had still yet to be approved, and they began to worry that they might have to sit the night out. That would have been a nightmare, considering the thousands upon thousands slated to come watch.

A majority owner in the franchise, Jagr took to the phones in an attempt to prevent the crowd from shouting "What, no Jagr?" And he was able to do do, thanks to some eleventh-hour cooperation from the NHL brass. From the New York Times:

To expedite the process, Jagr had made a late phone call Tuesday to his former Rangers teammate Brendan Shanahan, who is now an N.H.L. vice president.

"I have to say thanks to Brendan Shanahan who helped me a lot," Jagr said. "Shanahan did a great job and put Gary Bettman and Bill Daly on the phone, and eventually we were able to play."
oh wait.....
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Tantalum...
Sarcasm?
Or sarcastic irony over the fact that Bettamn had to hold his nose over a PR move he had to make because he has to hide the fact that he doesn't care about anything other than his megalomaniacal ego?
Or could it be that it's one owner in one league (Jagr) asking for a back scratch from the owner/s of another (NHL?)
:D