Alex Burrows signs 4-Year, $18m Extension

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Alex Burrows signs 4-Year, $18m Extension

Post by Topper »

Knucklehead wrote:I'm an Evangilical Athiest and I've killed many critters in my lifetime, none purely for sport, some for revenge :devil: Don't piss me off! :twisted:
Way to go, Sport.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

I love this Toppy.

In real life I'm a pussycat with love and respect for everybody no matter how little respect the complete twats actualy deserve.

On here I can let my hair down and have a bit of fun, it's all a game until someone gets hurt.

BTW I still would Gilles like to dump Booth for anything and agree that Burrows will rebound.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I thought the biting, hair pulling, groin-kneeing Frenchman should have been traded when Gillis had the chance. He’s one of our oldest players, relies on speed and physicality and is going to slow down more quickly than say the Sedins who do not rely on speed. Gillis should have sold high.

That being said, Burrows will turn it around to a certain degree. He has a nose for the net and is getting oodles of chances. The chances he is missing on are beer league fanning on yawning net bad.

The thing is with Burrows is that he is closer to Higgins and Hansen than the fan bois care to admit. Whereas the Higgins and Hansen deals are excellent, Burrows’ deal is a big turd.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:I thought the biting, hair pulling, groin-kneeing Frenchman should have been traded when Gillis had the chance. He’s one of our oldest players, relies on speed and physicality and is going to slow down more quickly than say the Sedins who do not rely on speed. Gillis should have sold high.

That being said, Burrows will turn it around to a certain degree. He has a nose for the net and is getting oodles of chances. The chances he is missing on are beer league fanning on yawning net bad.

The thing is with Burrows is that he is closer to Higgins and Hansen than the fan bois care to admit. Whereas the Higgins and Hansen deals are excellent, Burrows’ deal is a big turd.
+1

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Would love to have moved Burrows for something of value before his extension kicked in, although I guess it doesn't really jive with the team's attempt to conduct itself with integrity and blah blah blah towards its players.

(Does dealing any player with a NTC before the contract kicks in invalidate that clause, or is that just with players too young for the clause to apply at the time of the deal, eg. Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, etc?)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:I thought the biting, hair pulling, groin-kneeing Frenchman should have been traded when Gillis had the chance. He’s one of our oldest players, relies on speed and physicality and is going to slow down more quickly than say the Sedins who do not rely on speed. Gillis should have sold high.

He's shown more finish than Hansen, although Hansen is younger. Burrows is much better at creating chances on his own than Hansen.

He is a better on the PK and in front of the net than Higgins.

Burrows is better than both of these guys at creating space and setting up a linemate. He learned a lot from playing with Hank and Danny, and it shows.

In all other areas I would say he is pretty much on the same ice surface as Higgins and Hansen, though he might give up a little bit in the way of speed to the Danish Dash.

That being said, I still don't like his price tag. Hansen and Higgins came a little bit cheaper than I thought they would. I think Higgins and Hansen are both players that other teams would pay closer to $3M for. Burrows is a $4M player IMO.....which equals a $3.5(ish)M player on a home town discount. He gave up at least $1M per year on his last deal. That's what the Canucks are paying for now. It seems a bit stupid to be paying someone for what they brought rather than what they are currently bringing.....but it is the only reason for his current cap hit.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:Would love to have moved Burrows for something of value before his extension kicked in, although I guess it doesn't really jive with the team's attempt to conduct itself with integrity and blah blah blah towards its players.

(Does dealing any player with a NTC before the contract kicks in invalidate that clause, or is that just with players too young for the clause to apply at the time of the deal, eg. Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, etc?)
I think it will depend on the fine print, but as I have understood it in the past, a NTC clause is invalidated when a player agrees to waive it, his new team has the option of honoring it or not.

But that could have changed with the new CBA.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:He's shown more finish than Hansen, although Hansen is younger. Burrows is much better at creating chances on his own than Hansen.

Burrows is better than both of these guys at creating space and setting up a linemate. He learned a lot from playing with Hank and Danny, and it shows.

In all other areas I would say he is pretty much on the same ice surface as Higgins and Hansen, though he might give up a little bit in the way of speed to the Danish Dash.
Burrows is an average play maker. Certainly his play making ability is comparable to Hansen and Higgins. In the past few games, for example, he chosen to go it alone rather than make an easy pass to a teammate.

IMO Burrows is overpaid by $1M at least, and I would argue $1.5M. Away from the Sedins he is a second or third line tweener like Higgins and Hansen. He's not a dynamic play maker, does not have elite hands or vision and his shot is not particularly strong or accurate, just like Higgins and Hansen.

Agreed that moving Burrows before the NTC kicked in would have been a bit of a dick move, but it would have been an easy way to shake things up and perhaps get younger.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
Mëds wrote:He's shown more finish than Hansen, although Hansen is younger. Burrows is much better at creating chances on his own than Hansen.

Burrows is an average play maker. Certainly his play making ability is comparable to Hansen and Higgins. In the past few games, for example, he chosen to go it alone rather than make an easy pass to a teammate.

IMO Burrows is overpaid by $1M at least, and I would argue $1.5M. Away from the Sedins he is a second or third line tweener like Higgins and Hansen. He's not a dynamic play maker, does not have elite hands or vision and his shot is not particularly strong or accurate, just like Higgins and Hansen.

Agreed that moving Burrows before the NTC kicked in would have been a bit of a dick move, but it would have been an easy way to shake things up and perhaps get younger.
By that easy pass do you mean back to the corner? He's had some easy passes for sure, but none of them would have generated a shot. The thing I've liked about Burrows game recently is that he's trying to create scoring chances, not just run up the puck possession numbers and create phantom offense. There have been a few times where he has opted not to dish it to a linemate on the rush where maybe that would have been a better play, but overall I prefer what he's doing to our useless perimeter passing.....as it is he does enough of that anyhow.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Besides Burrows being an elite pk and constantly generating scoring chances, he is known mostly for being a beast in the playoffs, where he doesn't disappear like some do, he actually turns it up a couple notches and thrives in the post season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:Besides Burrows being an elite pk and constantly generating scoring chances, he is known mostly for being a beast in the playoffs, where he doesn't disappear like some do, he actually turns it up a couple notches and thrives in the post season.
Yeah, his overall playoff numbers don't really scream production, but the number of BIG goals that he has scored, and key plays he has made is exactly what you want come the post-season.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:Agreed that moving Burrows before the NTC kicked in would have been a bit of a dick move, but it would have been an easy way to shake things up and perhaps get younger.
Instead we wait for it to be a limp dick move.

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Mëds wrote:
SKYO wrote:Besides Burrows being an elite pk and constantly generating scoring chances, he is known mostly for being a beast in the playoffs, where he doesn't disappear like some do, he actually turns it up a couple notches and thrives in the post season.
Yeah, his overall playoff numbers don't really scream production, but the number of BIG goals that he has scored, and key plays he has made is exactly what you want come the post-season.
Agree he has shown his value in the playoffs .. Some very key goals.. plus is a key player on PK.. good 2 way player..
PS HERB :) only problem I have with his finger biting is he didn't bite hard enough.. Bergeron still has all his fingers :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote:
herb wrote:Agreed that moving Burrows before the NTC kicked in would have been a bit of a dick move, but it would have been an easy way to shake things up and perhaps get younger.
Instead we wait for it to be a limp dick move.
:lol:

Hard to disagree. I expect that if this season doesn't end well this coming offseason will be the time for dick moves in the eyes of management.. even though (in a hypothetical "doesn't end well" scenario) last season would have been much more opportune.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:By that easy pass do you mean back to the corner? He's had some easy passes for sure, but none of them would have generated a shot. The thing I've liked about Burrows game recently is that he's trying to create scoring chances, not just run up the puck possession numbers and create phantom offense. There have been a few times where he has opted not to dish it to a linemate on the rush where maybe that would have been a better play, but overall I prefer what he's doing to our useless perimeter passing.....as it is he does enough of that anyhow.
No, there were a couple of passes in breakout and neutral situations where passing off to a teammate rather than trying to skate through the defense would have been the better play.

I don't mind Burrows' game. I just don't believe we will ever get good value on his contract.