Alex Burrows signs 4-Year, $18m Extension

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Alex Burrows signs 4-Year, $18m Extension

Post by FAN »

Fred wrote:as there a relationship between Doan not signing and getting Burrows signature on hsi extension ?
No. Burrows' extension was being discussed at the same time the Canucks made an offer to Doan. I don't think the Canucks wanting to re-sign Burrows was ever in doubt.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Strangelove wrote:Image

The Stanley Cup Final should be 2 out of 3...retroactively.
Last edited by Boston Canucker on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Yeah, great signing, considering we low-balled him last time. He likes being here and was a Nuck his whole career, he deserves it. Doan would of been nice as he was the type of guy we need, but Burr signed for less and is in the prime of his career (unlike Doan who looks like he may take a dip anytime soon).
I don't agree that the Canucks "low-balled" him - at the time of his signing, March 3, 2009, he had scored 16 goals in the 2008-09 season, and had previously racked up:

2005-06 Goals 7
2006-07 Goals 3
2007-08 Goals 12

It was after his signing that he exploded for 12 goals over the next 20 games (after potting 16 in the first 62)...

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Four more years of this scrub taking up 4.5 million per. Awesome. Makes Booth's contract look ok considering he only has one more year. Too bad there aren't three compliance buyouts left . One for Booth, one for the biter and one for Luongo.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Four more years of this scrub taking up 4.5 million per. Awesome. Makes Booth's contract look ok considering he only has one more year. Too bad there aren't three compliance buyouts left . One for Booth, one for the biter and one for Luongo.
He's certainly not earning his deal this year. Hopefully the cap goes up, because if Burrows without the Sedins is only a quasi-second liner we're fucked.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Burrows without the twins is a third liner at best . He has been carried for years by the Sedins and so far Torts has gifted him 18 - 20 minutes a game with zero results. In all honesty if they can get a couple crumbs for Luongo I would buy out Burrows with the compliance and buy out Booth the traditional way if they still allow that . An absolut waste of 14 million on those guys. Lu has been adequate but he doesn't want to be here and the cap recapture on him is beyond onerous. As an asside shouldn't the team at least try and squeeze Lack into a few games ? Fucking rickdickulous.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Burrows without the twins is a third liner at best . He has been carried for years by the Sedins and so far Torts has gifted him 18 - 20 minutes a game with zero results. In all honesty if they can get a couple crumbs for Luongo I would buy out Burrows with the compliance and buy out Booth the traditional way if they still allow that . An absolut waste of 14 million on those guys. Lu has been adequate but he doesn't want to be here and the cap recapture on him is beyond onerous. As an asside shouldn't the team at least try and squeeze Lack into a few games ? Fucking rickdickulous.
Well right now Weise and Kassian are more productive players.

Chalk it up to bad luck, missed opportunities, injuries or whatever, he hasn't produced enough and it's losing the Canucks points in the standings.

Luongo is capable for his salary. But Booth and Burrows are supposed to be second liners for this team. They've been miserable this year and for a combined $8.75M we deserve better.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Put Burrows with Kesler and have them be our version of the Mike Richards line in LA.

The biggest myth in my opinion with both Burrows and Kesler IMO, is that we were somehow lead to believe that these guys are scorers......and should be in scoring roles.

While both players have proven themselves capable of putting the puck in the net obviously, both guys are at their best when they are shutting down top lines.......and scoring on turnovers.

The Kesler from the Nashville series in 2011 was an absolute one-off. He shouldn't be expected to play like that again ever.

The Kesler that we really need, is the one from the 2010 Olympics, and the one that played against Chicago in 2011........you know.......the guy that focused on shutting down opponents but still generated offensive chances anyways. Defense however, was the primary focus......not offense.

Put THAT Kesler with Alex Burrows. DON'T make offense their primary focus unless they are playing with the twins on a few shifts. Get them to shut down opponents, and they'll naturally score on turnovers (see start of 2008-2009 season when Kesler and Burrows played alongside Hansen).
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Was I the only one unhappy when this deal was done.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote:Was I the only one unhappy when this deal was done.
I thought it was a fair deal for what he had provided the Canucks.

He's severely under-performing his deal so far. He needs to produce more. I don't really care for excueses and effort levels. Burrows has not been a good point-producer for us, relative to his contract. If he continues at this level, he needs to be traded. "Trying hard" and "coming close" don't mean shit to me... score a fucking goal, please.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Topper wrote:Was I the only one unhappy when this deal was done.
I thought it was a fair deal for what he had provided the Canucks.

He's severely under-performing his deal so far. He needs to produce more. I don't really care for excueses and effort levels. Burrows has not been a good point-producer for us, relative to his contract. If he continues at this level, he needs to be traded. "Trying hard" and "coming close" don't mean shit to me... score a fucking goal, please.
Yeah, I share the frustration but the guy is just getting snakebit. Call that an excuse if you want but he's coming close. He'll come around. It's not like he's hurting the team out there when he's not scoring.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
JonT21
CC Veteran

Post by JonT21 »

The Brown Knight wrote:Put Burrows with Kesler and have them be our version of the Mike Richards line in LA.

The biggest myth in my opinion with both Burrows and Kesler IMO, is that we were somehow lead to believe that these guys are scorers......and should be in scoring roles.

While both players have proven themselves capable of putting the puck in the net obviously, both guys are at their best when they are shutting down top lines.......and scoring on turnovers.

The Kesler from the Nashville series in 2011 was an absolute one-off. He shouldn't be expected to play like that again ever.

The Kesler that we really need, is the one from the 2010 Olympics, and the one that played against Chicago in 2011........you know.......the guy that focused on shutting down opponents but still generated offensive chances anyways. Defense however, was the primary focus......not offense.

Put THAT Kesler with Alex Burrows. DON'T make offense their primary focus unless they are playing with the twins on a few shifts. Get them to shut down opponents, and they'll naturally score on turnovers (see start of 2008-2009 season when Kesler and Burrows played alongside Hansen).
Agreed! We should have Burrows-Kesler-Hansen be our shutdown/secondary scoring line. They should be against the top lines getting them frustrated while getting good chances off the other teams mistakes while also creating some more offence in general. Sedins plus a winger that should be Kassian in a perfect world is obvs the main scoring. We just need that other line who is just based on secondary scoring, that's is our missing link!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Comparing Booth and Burrows is laughable. The effort is certainly there, the scoring chances, two-way play and commitment to being the system/team are not even in question. This team is the best in the league when down a man, and Burrows is one of the key cogs.

The team is clearly struggling right now. Secondary scoring (Burrows, Higgins, Hansen) has been much discussed. The lack of offense from the blueline has not gotten nearly enough blame for the teams failures.

It's easy to point fingers right now, but suggesting Burr is as (or more) useless than Booth is just ignant whining.