There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Topper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:12 pm

BurningBeard wrote:
Topper wrote:You can't blame GM's and owners for signing these deals. The structure was permitted under the old CBA and teams can not collude not to sign these deals.


Isn't the bigger issue with those deals insurance coverage? I think the insurance is becoming a major issue for some of these teams. If they're having to insure contracts at 5% of value and not past a certain amount of years, that is a huge expense and potential liability.

That may be the case, first I have heard of it. Those insurance premiums would be something some big market teams would be willing to cover while smaller market teams would be left out.

Under the previous CBA, many of the long term deals were not bad deals and Luongo's may very well have been the best of the bunch when you weigh in player's skill, age, term, real salary and cap hit.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Strangelove » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:05 pm

dbr wrote:One thing I don't get is the owners claim today that the players are moving the goalposts.. is it just me or is one of their three "must haves" (a 10 year CBA) completely new? They made a proposal earlier this fall for a six year deal..


Owners said we'll throw in another $100mil in 'make whole' but we MUST HAVE these 3 things.

Package deal, take it or leave it, and Fehr says we'll take the extra $100mil, but screw the "must haves".

Bettman says "Well screw you Mr Fehr!"
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 6916
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote:One thing I don't get is the owners claim today that the players are moving the goalposts.. is it just me or is one of their three "must haves" (a 10 year CBA) completely new? They made a proposal earlier this fall for a six year deal..


Owners said we'll throw in another $100mil in 'make whole' but we MUST HAVE these 3 things.

Package deal, take it or leave it, and Fehr says we'll take the extra $100mil, but screw the "must haves".

Bettman says "Well screw you Mr Fehr!"

I tossed this one at Topper (nicely, I seen what happened in the bear baiting thread :eh: ) but I think I'm on his list...
Anyway Bettman mentioned that he had to sell the money for the make whole dealy as buying a couple of extra years of peace 8 vs 10 years...

In other words the money they save on salaries for those two years will pay for the make whole...

My question is: is that not exactly what the PA got upset about before, having to pay for their own losses on contracts already signed for??
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2286
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Topper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote:One thing I don't get is the owners claim today that the players are moving the goalposts.. is it just me or is one of their three "must haves" (a 10 year CBA) completely new? They made a proposal earlier this fall for a six year deal..


Owners said we'll throw in another $100mil in 'make whole' but we MUST HAVE these 3 things.

Package deal, take it or leave it, and Fehr says we'll take the extra $100mil, but screw the "must haves".

Bettman says "Well screw you Mr Fehr!"

It wasn't an extra $100 million to "make whole", it was $50 million to make whole and $50 to pensions.

Gary took the "w" away last night. New motto is make hole. It's a ripper.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Boston Canucker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 am

Whenever they play hockey again, I'll be back, watching intensely, the addiction stays. But I can't stomach another article/report analyzing the lockout negotiations/status. I'm avoiding it all as best as possible until we get to the other side. I still stay with my original prediction, hockey by Jan 1, but who knows....until the puck drops.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Fred » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:07 pm

In other words the money they save on salaries for those two years will pay for the make whole...


Where are the savings you're talking about are the players not going to be paid !! , or, does not every player make his own salary decision, with the aide of a high price lawyer ? The players in the last 2 years of the CBA will receive a salary that they themselves have personally negotiated. This is not an hourly rate increase like a normal union bargaining !!


One question that never comes up is how come the agents are never accountable. The players always blaming the owners for signing dumb contracts, but the fact is agents are for ever playing one team off against another and asking for unreasonable contracts from all parties - teams Frankly the players just wash their hands of any responsibility. Who me ...naw .. i just let my agent take care of those details. Yeah Dick head he`s doing all your dirty work behind the scenes so you don`t need to accept any responsibility
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Fred » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Fehr unites with the down trodden of the wrold and addresses the CAW

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lock ... w_council/

Workers of the world unite :scowl:

Listen carefully he tells the assembly how the players lost yep lost so much after the last CBA. How does he do it with a straight face
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Topper » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:Whenever they play hockey again, I'll be back, watching intensely, the addiction stays. But I can't stomach another article/report analyzing the lockout negotiations/status. I'm avoiding it all as best as possible until we get to the other side. I still stay with my original prediction, hockey by Jan 1, but who knows....until the puck drops.

I'm the opposite. I don't know how much hockey I'll bother watching when they get back, but reading some of the news on the negotiations is entertaining. Favourites are Bob MacKenzie (TSN), Pierre LeBrun(TSN/ESPN), Scott Burnside (ESPN) and Katie Strang (ESPN).

@tsnscottcullen: Re: last RT, MLB salaries up 39% from '03 to '12 ($2.3M to $3.2M). NHL salaries up 32%, from $1.85M to $2.45M, including 24% rollback in '04


Average wages up 32% over ten years including a 24% roll back. Poor hard done by players.......
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Benjo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Agree on the lockout commentators Topper, I also enjoy Friedman from CBC and of course Grapes talking about how great Kadri's hands are! :lol:
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Strangelove » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Topper wrote:Gary took the "w" away last night. New motto is make hole. It's a ripper.


Like O... MG... DF already had at least one too many holes amirite? :mex:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 6916
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I wonder if this could ever garner enough support to actually be a factor...
http://vimeo.com/55149830

Just Drop It!
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1908
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Reefer2 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 am

I care, do any of you care?

But alas it seems my income does not allow me to care too much.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/GhnvKzA-6WY

PS - how do you link a youtube video?
User avatar
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Fred » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Scott Hartnell: No defending Roman Hamrlik

By QMI Agency
Share on facebookShare on stumbleuponShare on liveShare on farkMore Sharing Services



Flyers forward Scott Hartnell doesn't expect any of Roman Hamrlik's teammates to defend the Capitals defenceman should he get in trouble on the ice. (BRUCE BENNETT/Getty Images/AFP file photo)

Roman Hamrlik may have to fear for his safety.

Speaking on Team 1200 in Ottawa on Tuesday, Philadelphia Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said he doesn't expect any players on the Washington Capitals to run to their teammate's defence if he gets in trouble on the ice.

"I don't think anyone other than Roman Hamrlik in Washington -- a guy who has made $50-to-$60 million from the (NHL Players' Association) -- has turned on us. You're going to have guys like that," Hartnell told the radio station. "I can't wait to see what his teammates do when guys go after him. To sell the whole PA under the bus and to stick up for a guy like that is going to be tough."


What a complete ass Hartnell is can you imagine a player saying

(A) Hamrlik made $50-60 million from the PA !!, nothing to do with the fans or the owners then Scott, who pays the guy the PA or the Owner ? is this guy brain dead, sad to think he will even get a vote, wiith his IQ he's not in the position to make a judgement

(B) Suggesting that he may be physically abused because Hamrlik exercised his right to speak freely

A sad days for unions and democracy when players talk like this
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: There will be a strike

Postby Tciso » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:02 am

Fred wrote:
Scott Hartnell: No defending Roman Hamrlik

By QMI Agency
Share on facebookShare on stumbleuponShare on liveShare on farkMore Sharing Services



Flyers forward Scott Hartnell doesn't expect any of Roman Hamrlik's teammates to defend the Capitals defenceman should he get in trouble on the ice. (BRUCE BENNETT/Getty Images/AFP file photo)

Roman Hamrlik may have to fear for his safety.

Speaking on Team 1200 in Ottawa on Tuesday, Philadelphia Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said he doesn't expect any players on the Washington Capitals to run to their teammate's defence if he gets in trouble on the ice.

"I don't think anyone other than Roman Hamrlik in Washington -- a guy who has made $50-to-$60 million from the (NHL Players' Association) -- has turned on us. You're going to have guys like that," Hartnell told the radio station. "I can't wait to see what his teammates do when guys go after him. To sell the whole PA under the bus and to stick up for a guy like that is going to be tough."


What a complete ass Hartnell is can you imagine a player saying

(A) Hamrlik made $50-60 million from the PA !!, nothing to do with the fans or the owners then Scott, who pays the guy the PA or the Owner ? is this guy brain dead, sad to think he will even get a vote, wiith his IQ he's not in the position to make a judgement

(B) Suggesting that he may be physically abused because Hamrlik exercised his right to speak freely

A sad days for unions and democracy when players talk like this


What's the issue? Scottie's left-wing knee-jerk belief in unions and sticking it to the man, and covering his own ass obviously superceed Hamrlik's belief in having his own opinion, getting paid fairly and just playing the damned game, and not costing 1/3 of the players their only or last year in the league. :?

The sheep mentality of guys like Hartnell amazes me, but we see it in the holier than thou Left all the time.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: There will be a strike

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 am

Fred wrote:
(A) Hamrlik made $50-60 million from the PA !!, nothing to do with the fans or the owners then Scott, who pays the guy the PA or the Owner ? is this guy brain dead, sad to think he will even get a vote, wiith his IQ he's not in the position to make a judgement

I think what Fartsmell means is that without the PA and his brothers before this generation and their fight for better pay, Hamrlik would be making a whole pile less than the gravy he's on now...
Hartnell would be right too, because without their union, pay and conditions of employment would still be (adjusted for inflation,) somewhere in the 1960s

(B) Suggesting that he may be physically abused because Hamrlik exercised his right to speak freely

A sad days for unions and democracy when players talk like this


Its a union Fred, would you be happy if Hamrlik was your employee and was running his mouth about you his boss? It's the same thing. You are a member, you get one vote and you shut up, you don't give the other side ammunition...look what the NhL charged whatshisfuck in Detroit for beaking off?

As for Hartnell , well he's just being a good soldier, exactly what he needs to be, to be a good hockey player, team mate, union member, And emloyee...wish we could trade Luongo for him :)
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2286
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], herb and 4 guests