There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: There will be a strike

Post by ukcanuck »

the Dogsalmon wrote:you commie stooge...what kind of peasant...sorry...person...uses the "urban dictionary"...its about as reliable as wikipedia...
I dunno but it gives a whole new meaning to the beatles ticket to ride song "she's got a ticket to ride and she doesnt know the conductor's name is Sanchez
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote: NOW you're talkin! :thumbs:
This was probably the first honest negotiating session that's taken place. Didn't the exact same thing happen last lockout? It was Daley and Saskin that put together the framework.

I get the distinct impression that up until this point the figureheads on both sides have been putting on a dog and pony show for the media.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

BurningBeard wrote:
Strangelove wrote: NOW you're talkin! :thumbs:
This was probably the first honest negotiating session that's taken place. Didn't the exact same thing happen last lockout? It was Daley and Saskin that put together the framework.

I get the distinct impression that up until this point the figureheads on both sides have been putting on a dog and pony show for the media.
I think this may be standard procedures with these kinds of negotiations - it allows the top guys to play the hard cop for their sides while their #2s hash out a deal. The leaders posture, their staff negotiate.The leaders may meet to discuss overall intentions, resolve and direction but it's the staffers who have the latitude away from the limelight and podium to work a deal out when they get the green light from their bosses.

There's that report from TSN saying the league budged on making contracts whole and it seems things went from there. I wonder what made the league blink? Maybe they realized they (or the poorer teams) would have more to lose from a lost season than the players, and they got the sense the players were ready to skewer the season.

If that's the case, you wish they had realized that from the get-go and got to this point of negotiations earlier. Inevitable, I guess.

On a positive note, the prospects continue to play and the injured can rehab without pressure to come back ASAP. Imagine what things would have looked like by now if the season started on time, considering the injury situation the team was and is in. Maybe I'm grasping at silver linings but this could benefit the team whenever the season starts.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Colour me over-optimistic but I smell a tentative agreement within days! :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Lancer wrote: There's that report from TSN saying the league budged on making contracts whole and it seems things went from there. I wonder what made the league blink? Maybe they realized they (or the poorer teams) would have more to lose from a lost season than the players, and they got the sense the players were ready to skewer the season.
Internal pressure from the fed up Canadian franchises (and successful American ones), who are rumored to be livid over the whole situation and the idea they'd lose another season worth of revenue? None of them are talking publicly, but off the record it appears there's a push to get it done.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote:Colour me over-optimistic but I smell a tentative agreement within days! :mex:
Yeah the lack of press and shots across each others bow through the media probably means the NHL and NHLPA are truly getting down to business and making progress on talks.

A season that starts before December begins would be nice.

:thumbs:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Colour me over-optimistic but I smell a tentative agreement within days! :mex:
Yeah the lack of press and shots across each others bow through the media probably means the NHL and NHLPA are truly getting down to business and making progress on talks.

:santa:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:

These negotiations just make clear what complete and utter bull shit the previous "bargaining sessions" were.

Neither side had made a legit proposal and both sides were simply putting on a show to increase their current position.

The fact it's the no2's from both sides meeting and neither side is talking is fantastic news. That is how the deal got done last time and probably exactly how it's going to get done this time.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

These negotiations just make clear what complete and utter bull shit the previous "bargaining sessions" were.

Neither side had made a legit proposal and both sides were simply putting on a show to increase their current position.

The fact it's the no2's from both sides meeting and neither side is talking is fantastic news. That is how the deal got done last time and probably exactly how it's going to get done this time.
Or it could be that Bettman's bluff is getting ever closer to being called? The idea that the players have too much to lose to sacrifice the season over their ideals is becoming increasingly harder to believe and the owners are becoming more serious about making a deal because they actually have more to lose and can't gamble that Fehr will lose player support much longer?
I ain't saying just asking :)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:
Or it could be that Bettman's bluff is getting ever closer to being called? The idea that the players have too much to lose to sacrifice the season over their ideals is becoming increasingly harder to believe and the owners are becoming more serious about making a deal because they actually have more to lose and can't gamble that Fehr will lose player support much longer?
Yes it's just Bettman that's been given a timeout here. :roll:

Oh wait it isnt !!!!!!!!

As a person who doesn't care for the count, the one guy that might be more of a prick than he is Donald Fehr. He shitcanned the MLB season halfway through 1994 without batting an eye.

And if you think the billionaire owners have more to lose than the players I have a chunk of swamp land errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......... waterfront property you might be interested in.

In the end MOST of us just want to see NHL games again.....hopefully we soon will.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ukcanuck wrote:
Well that may be what you want to believe but it's highly unlikely to be true.

You think the owners would decide to cave a few days after canceling the winter classic? Odd timing no ?

More likely that the players finally agreed to take a pay cut under a deal which includes linkage, so the ball started rolling.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Well that may be what you want to believe but it's highly unlikely to be true.

You think the owners would decide to cave a few days after canceling the winter classic? Odd timing no ?

More likely that the players finally agreed to take a pay cut under a deal which includes linkage, so the ball started rolling.
I'm thinking that it goes something like this in Bettman's head..."I need a cut in payroll across the board to keep my handpicked new owners in the south happy but how can I get the PA to agree to another 24% like last time? hmmm, I know I'll lock them out at the start of training camp, they will fold when they realise I am serious....

Okay that didnt work, I guess I'll offer them another version of the same thing but I'll threaten them with a best case take it or leave it offer conditional to cancellation of regular season games ....I'm sure they will fold when they realise that they will lose the start of the season...

Okay that didn't work, how about I give them a slightly better but still favourable to me offer and tie it to the last chance for a full 82 regular season and a full paycheck cause these guys got lives and bills and surely they want to keep the party going...

Ok that didn't work Damn It!.. well pretty soon is the deadline for the Winter Classic, they will never let that game go by, its a big payday for everybody, plus they are fans of the game themselves surely they will fold nefore losing the winter classic....

Oh fuck they didn't fold over the winter classic! maybe they are serious about not folding! what if they are committed to losing the season to make a point, what if the younger players are looking at an example like Iginla who is losing 7 milllion in order to hold the line and find renewed determination to stick it to me? oh fuck, maybe I better start thinking about what can really happen here?

Holy shit we could really lose the whole season here! that would make it the second time any pro league has lost a full season and this is my third lockout since I took over, oh fuck this might turn out bad! I better make a more significant offer before the season is a total write off and I lose control and the confidence of my most powerful owners, the ones that can fire my ass...

shit I better get on the phone with that rat bastard Fehr, where the fuck is that brown noser Daly?"

something like that anyway :)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Yes it's just Bettman that's been given a timeout here. :roll:

Oh wait it isnt !!!!!!!!

As a person who doesn't care for the count, the one guy that might be more of a prick than he is Donald Fehr. He shitcanned the MLB season halfway through 1994 without batting an eye.

And if you think the billionaire owners have more to lose than the players I have a chunk of swamp land errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......... waterfront property you might be interested in.

In the end MOST of us just want to see NHL games again.....hopefully we soon will.
I hope you dont think I wont be every bit as happy to have hockey to watch and talk about and read about again as you, because if you do, you are sadly mistaken.

just cause my politics and yours arent on the same page doesn't mean shit blobber! :twisted: :evil:
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

LOL.. more likely both the players and owners realized it was a mugs game and neither could "win".. Or maybe both the NHL and NHLPA realized 1/4 of the players were playing elsewhere.. Not contributing to either side in this dispute..Of course the owners are divided on the issue .. the 11 profitable franchises are not as motivated to continue pressuring for more concessions as the bottom feeders.. the ones in the middle are the ones that will ultimately make the decision..If the continued existense of the teams losing money and expansion of the league is the main reason for this lockout then they cannot settle for less than the 50/50 split..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Until the fat lady stops singing I ain't buying anything.

To many egos in this game to believe that it will go smoothly.