There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: There will be a strike

Post by donlever »

Cornuck wrote:

Example "A" George W Bush (vs) Alex Burrows.
Not sure where you are going here.

Burr is an average Joe with limited hockey skill?

Is that the contention?
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote: Burr is an average Joe with limited hockey skill?
No - but it seems like he worked his ass off to get from the "E" to the top line on of the best teams in hockey.

This whole discussion is melting my brain. I'm trying to stay out of it, since it just pisses me of.

They knew for 6 fucking years that it would come to this and now they're back in the middle of the pissing match (again).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

lol

So you decide I'm the guy who gets the jab then eh?

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

donlever wrote:lol

So you decide I'm the guy who gets the jab then eh?

:P
Nothing personal, it's Monday, there's no hockey, it's cold, I'm still on my first coffee and the dart hit your name.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Perfect.

I expect nothing less.

Carry on.
DeLevering since 1999.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Cornuck wrote:
Example "A" George W Bush (vs) Alex Burrows.
Even Burrows, (who is perhaps the poster child for guys coming out of no where to be a good pro) was still playing major jr. hockey at 17, which means he was probably still one of the very best players in his age group early on.

I'm not sure where he played before the "Q" or why he was behind where most NHLers are at the same age, but despite his quite obvious talent, Alex had to take a far harder path to the league.

If Alex shows anything at all it's how hard it is to get into the league when you have fallen off the normal development path for NHL players.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Have a look at this years first round, how many of those kids have a father or brother in the league?

Do you think that's just random?

The truth is it's parents and families that produce great hockey players. They pass on their genes, then put them on skates when they are 3, then buy them new gear, then get them to the rink at 5 every day, then get them the best coaching, then invest thousands to make sure that by 13 years old they are on the radar for the Bantom draft.

The vast, vast majority of players drafted into the NHL have already cast their die by that age. Those who make it later are a total anomaly.
On one hand he rails against the mythical dream that anyone can just become wealthy, but then contradictorily perpetuates the mythical dream that anyone can become a pro-athlete.

Laughable indeed.
read it again both of you,
Yes, yes, both actors on this stage were lucky and have characteristics that enable them to be relatively successful in their lives and that’s why they find themselves doing what they are doing. However, the opportunity and path to pro sports is open to anyone regardless of class or stature, while the path to the boardroom and key to the executive washroom is far from open.

It doesn't say "regardless of class [social] stature or ATHLETIC ability," Of course the path to a career in professional sports presupposes an inherent ability to perform at a professional level. forgive me for thinking that you would understand such a basic concept without my holding your hand.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:...it could actually be argued that the path to the board room and exec can is more readily available to the average Joe than any opportunity to play in a major sports league.

Or the NHL for that matter.
Would that argument include the fact that the path to the board room goes right through private high schools, prep schools and elite universities that are not open to the general public and require not only money but the right connections and leverage to attend? Because if that argument doesn't have an answer for that, then its not going to be very convincing.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

The average person's annual income in Canada is $46K. The lowest paid NHLer's earn in excess of $500K a year. Darcy Hordichuk for example has been in the NHL for the past 6 years and has earned an average of about $675K pa or a little over $4 mil in that time. The "average" wage earner would have to work 86 years to accomplish that. Even at $100K per year they would have to work 40 years.

I take issue with anyone who feels their "career", if it ends in 6 years or 10 years should allow them to "retire". Whether its politicians or athletes it should piss off the working slob that is expected to pay for it.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Listercat wrote:I take issue with anyone who feels their "career", if it ends in 6 years or 10 years should allow them to "retire". Whether its politicians or athletes it should piss off the working slob that is expected to pay for it.
While I agree for the most part, you should include another 6+ years of apprenticeship as part of that career. (WHL and up)
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

The "ordinary" working slob doesn't start out at the top of his or her salary range either so call it a saw off.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

ukcanuck wrote: Yes, yes, both actors on this stage were lucky and have characteristics that enable them to be relatively successful in their lives and that’s why they find themselves doing what they are doing. However, the opportunity and path to pro sports is open to anyone regardless of class or stature, while the path to the boardroom and key to the executive washroom is far from open.

It doesn't say "regardless of class [social] stature or ATHLETIC ability," Of course the path to a career in professional sports presupposes an inherent ability to perform at a professional level. forgive me for thinking that you would understand such a basic concept without my holding your hand.
It'd be nice if I didn't have to hold your hand through your own pseudo-intellectual arguments.

First you were arguing a difference in kind, and now you've capitulated to a difference in degree position that's on just as shaky ground.

You fail to recognize that your statement that " the opportunity and path to pro sports is open to anyone regardless of class or stature" comes with a necessary condition that you minimize, and that' the endowed genetic/athletic ability that would allow, in a theoretical vacum, anyone in any class or stature to make it to pro sports. By definition, that becomes an exclusive club that is only open to those that fit that necessary condition.

What you also fail to specify is that all sports are not readily open to anyone in any class or stature since some sports are costly to participate in, i.e. hockey, golf, many olympic level sports etc.

So, the only way your exhaustive and general statement holds true is if all sports are created equal, and are open to anyone in any class or stature.

What you also take for granted is the ability to move into big business without having much stature nor being part of an affluent social class. If an individual is endowed with great intelligence and an innovative mind, that person can conquer big business without being born into affluence.

Your arguments really are terrible and inconsistent. You bend your argument to appease the situation, but you still fail to realize that your entire form of argumentation has been fatally flawed throughout this discussion.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ukcanuck wrote:
donlever wrote:...it could actually be argued that the path to the board room and exec can is more readily available to the average Joe than any opportunity to play in a major sports league.

Or the NHL for that matter.
Would that argument include the fact that the path to the board room goes right through private high schools, prep schools and elite universities that are not open to the general public and require not only money but the right connections and leverage to attend? Because if that argument doesn't have an answer for that, then its not going to be very convincing.
I don't even have to answer, Coco did it for me.
coco_canuck wrote:
What you also take for granted is the ability to move into big business without having much stature nor being part of an affluent social class. If an individual is endowed with great intelligence and an innovative mind, that person can conquer big business without being born into affluence.
I'll provide an example of an average Joe who made it.

Tony Horton.

Moved to LA to get into acting...failed.

Tried stand up comedy...failed.

Decided that the way he treated his body would be something he could provide as a service to people and make a living at...millionaire. (...and an aside, a key figure with free access to the boardroom and exec washroom at Beachbody..gross sales reported at 32 million)...

Don't like that one, how about Richard Branson?

Wayne Huizenga?

Oprah Winfrey?
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I would hazard a guess that for UK it comes down to class warfare in some respect.. and in the players you have the "workers" or - considering they should be able to achieve a bourgeois lifestyle with their earnings from hockey - at they very least they are enemies of his enemy.

I don't say that with any real judgement intended, just seems like the arguments are being constructed to fit the basic assumptions that match that view.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Listercat wrote:The average person's annual income in Canada is $46K. The lowest paid NHLer's earn in excess of $500K a year. Darcy Hordichuk for example has been in the NHL for the past 6 years and has earned an average of about $675K pa or a little over $4 mil in that time. The "average" wage earner would have to work 86 years to accomplish that. Even at $100K per year they would have to work 40 years.

I take issue with anyone who feels their "career", if it ends in 6 years or 10 years should allow them to "retire". Whether its politicians or athletes it should piss off the working slob that is expected to pay for it.
That's a terrible example there Listercat!

It's a well known fact that Hordichuk is an intellectual giant and his physical prowess is unmatched. He would absolutely conquer in any field in which he chose to apply himself.

:roll:

In all seriousness, your example of Hordichuk is probably the best one that can be given to highlight my problem with the NHL, and pro sports in general. Hordi would be a delivery truck swamper or a roughneck out on a drilling rig somewhere making less than $100K per/ann. He would actually have to work for most of his life and not be making cash that the average person would have to log 86 years to get.

Has anyone listened to Duncan Keith or Jonathan Toews in the media over the last few years? Their grasp of, what I presume to be, their first language is hilarious. These are two of the "elite" NHL'ers who are supposed to be the face(s) of the league. They can barely string together coherent sentences at times, and whenever Toews tries to give his opinion on the state of the league it has become fairly apparent that grades 11 and 12 were on the back burner while he was playing junior.

I think the NHL should move towards a system like the NBA or NFL. One where players come up through a college/university system. At least there would be an added dose of maturity and experience injected into the league.....hopefully.