There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: There will be a strike

Post by vic »

Anyone know why Burkie is always front and centre whenever shots of the NHL are shown on TV? I thought this whole labour dispute was between owners and players? Are any other GMs attending meetings and negotiations?
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Just read the NHLPA may go to the courts to prevent the HABs from legally locking out their players. (Quebec has it's own labour laws). If so, the Habs could be on the hook for $70 mil or so in salaries without any revenues. That makes a small part of my heart laugh, for many different reasons.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Tciso wrote:Just read the NHLPA may go to the courts to prevent the HABs from legally locking out their players. (Quebec has it's own labour laws). If so, the Habs could be on the hook for $70 mil or so in salaries without any revenues. That makes a small part of my heart laugh, for many different reasons.
Doesn't Alberta have similar law ?
cheers
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

MONTREAL . The National Hockey League Players' Association is prepared to use Quebec labour law, if necessary, to try to prevent the National Hockey League and the Montreal Canadiens from locking out players on Sept. 15.

At issue, according to the NHLPA, is that the players' union is not a group certified by the Quebec Labour Board.

The NHLPA adds that, under Quebec law, an employer the Canadiens, in this case cannot lock out employees unless they are represented by a union certified by the labour board.

Canadiens players, through their Montreal-based lawyer, Michael Cohen, sent a cease-and-desist letter to the owners of the Canadiens and to the NHL on Friday. Unless the team and the league cease their threats to lock out, the players will make an application to the labour board this upcoming week seeking to stop the Canadiens from locking out their players.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/scripts/NHL ... story.html
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

scHabs it is then...:) would this not split the NHLPA? i mean they get paid and no one else does..fuck me this is retarded

I just read some of the article it is the NHLPA who is innitiating this..some one please tell me how this makes sense for them to do that...please
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

rats19 wrote:scHabs it is then...:) would this not split the NHLPA? i mean they get paid and no one else does..fuck me this is retarded

I just read some of the article it is the NHLPA who is initiating this..some one please tell me how this makes sense for them to do that...please
It'll split the owners even more. One owner is going to lose a crap-load of money, while 29 others are basically treading water. Even if the league pays for the Hab's salaries, then the league will be losing that $$. Either way, good pressure tactic to get the owners to get this resolved.

The players won't care nearly as much, as they see a few of their brothers still making big cash, as they take contracts in Europe. From the NHLPA perspective, it just makes sense, as they fight for every penny coming to their members.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Tciso wrote:
rats19 wrote:scHabs it is then...:) would this not split the NHLPA? i mean they get paid and no one else does..fuck me this is retarded

I just read some of the article it is the NHLPA who is initiating this..some one please tell me how this makes sense for them to do that...please
It'll split the owners even more. One owner is going to lose a crap-load of money, while 29 others are basically treading water. Even if the league pays for the Hab's salaries, then the league will be losing that $$. Either way, good pressure tactic to get the owners to get this resolved.

The players won't care nearly as much, as they see a few of their brothers still making big cash, as they take contracts in Europe. From the NHLPA perspective, it just makes sense, as they fight for every penny coming to their members.
thnx for the attempt..but i am not convinced this is good pressure tactic against the owners.. If it was me and you and I played in the same league but you got paid and I didnt....well that would kinda piss me off..
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

rats19 wrote: thnx for the attempt..but i am not convinced this is good pressure tactic against the owners.. If it was me and you and I played in the same league but you got paid and I didnt....well that would kinda piss me off..

If the Habs owners are forced to pay their players, then I'm sure they'll have them working for the money...

I.e. Full practices, community appearances, inter-squad games ...etc. Any player who does not show up can get suspended by the team...etc

For game days, maybe they call up players from their AHL team and they have inter-squad games with them - they can charge the fans some money to come see them play or better yet, have the NHL on the ice on scheduled game days, then have them sit on the bench and watch the clock go down from 20:00 - 00:00, go to the dressing room for 15:00, then come back out and do it again for 3 periods. After the game is over, they'd have a tie so they can sit for another 5 minutes.

For even further shits and giggles, have the media come ask the team after each and every game what it was like to sit on the bench for 60 minutes and collect a pay cheque while their union brothers are off vacationing waiting for the labour dispute to settle...
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

rats19 wrote:
Tciso wrote:

thnx for the attempt..but i am not convinced this is good pressure tactic against the owners.. If it was me and you and I played in the same league but you got paid and I didnt....well that would kinda piss me off..
Well, then, I'd be keeping my head up during our first game of the season in 2013, knowing you are pissed off that I found a loophole that you couldn't use. And, when we are both sitting in the penalty box, I'd call you a whiny little cry-baby pansy who shoulda stayed over in Europe once the lockout ended. I'd probably even hand you a pre-paid cell phone so you could call your mommie too. Personally, I think most of the players would be happy that you found a way to stick it to Bettman, and just ask that you paid for steak, lobster and a few beers during player gatherings during the lockout.

In reality, most Habs fans are so stupidly devoted that they'd happily buy their season tickets, and watch Tim-Bits hockey while bragging that the other teams didn't get any hockey at all. To show that they are slightly more retarded, Taranna fans would demand the same, and the Taranna TimBit Leaves would still fail to make the 8th seed of the playoffs in a 2 team league.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

vic wrote:
rats19 wrote: thnx for the attempt..but i am not convinced this is good pressure tactic against the owners.. If it was me and you and I played in the same league but you got paid and I didnt....well that would kinda piss me off..

If the Habs owners are forced to pay their players, then I'm sure they'll have them working for the money...

I.e. Full practices, community appearances, inter-squad games ...etc. Any player who does not show up can get suspended by the team...etc

For game days, maybe they call up players from their AHL team and they have inter-squad games with them - they can charge the fans some money to come see them play or better yet, have the NHL on the ice on scheduled game days, then have them sit on the bench and watch the clock go down from 20:00 - 00:00, go to the dressing room for 15:00, then come back out and do it again for 3 periods. After the game is over, they'd have a tie so they can sit for another 5 minutes.

For even further shits and giggles, have the media come ask the team after each and every game what it was like to sit on the bench for 60 minutes and collect a pay cheque while their union brothers are off vacationing waiting for the labour dispute to settle...
NOPE...fail...but thnx for trying....:)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Molson should send his players to university.... at gun point if necessary.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

cheers
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Well, then, I'd be keeping my head up during our first game of the season in 2013, knowing you are pissed off that I found a loophole that you couldn't use. And, when we are both sitting in the penalty box, I'd call you a whiny little cry-baby pansy who shoulda stayed over in Europe once the lockout ended. I'd probably even hand you a pre-paid cell phone so you could call your mommie too. Personally, I think most of the players would be happy that you found a way to stick it to Bettman, and just ask that you paid for steak, lobster and a few beers during player gatherings during the lockout.

In reality, most Habs fans are so stupidly devoted that they'd happily buy their season tickets, and watch Tim-Bits hockey while bragging that the other teams didn't get any hockey at all. To show that they are slightly more retarded, Taranna fans would demand the same, and the Taranna TimBit Leaves would still fail to make the 8th seed of the playoffs in a 2 team league.
I must be daft or something today cuz I am not getting it...

Tcisco
europe is either open to any and all NHLPA members who can get a contract over there or it wont be. The proposed idea in this one is only open to the habs.. (forget BC&AB ) for now. and true players are probably happy to stick it to bettman anyway they can ...but I dont believe for minute they feel the same way when an opportunity is not open to ALL the unionized players but to a limited few that is not how UNIONS work.. Unless that money gets shared or some other arrangement is made to equeal it out. But for another player to be happy for me that I got my 4.5mill and simply stuck it to Bettman...mayhaps not eh?..No?

I would take that cell and perhaps stuff it up your ass and you would be upset i had the vibrate function turned off...in that hypathetical situation.. :wink:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Seems to me that the move by the NHLPA is not going to destabilise their solidarity. However its got to put pressure on the league as the Habs will never recoup their payroll with guest appearances and AHL practices. In fact any union member in Montreal would be crossing a picket line if they showed up to any event held by management while the rest of the union is locked out. More likely the Habs can make a case that they are bearing the brunt for all the other owners and ask for help paying the piper. It would be interesting to listen in on a conference call between Molson Buttman and the other core owners.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

rats19 wrote: NOPE...fail...but thnx for trying....:)
So you're saying that if the PA is successful in blocking the lock-out in Quebec, the Molson Family will pay the player salaries and not expect anything in return?

Obviously not as extreme as I outlined in my post (my apologies for not showing a sarcastic smily) but I'm sure if the Molson family has to pay its NHL employees, they expect their employees to be doing some sort of work - even if it's appearing at practice 2-3 times per week until the negotiations are resolved.