There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: There will be a strike

Post by dbr »

Fred wrote:How much or how many millions has the NHL forked out to run and support the Coyotes ? According to CapGeek they run a player payroll of $45 million annually that's with out travel arena rent et al. Which is the other franchise that is likely to be taken over by the league.
I seem to recall hearing that losses were in the range of about $30m/year, but even if you double that (so that one half of the league's losses are from the Coyotes) it still has nothing to do with the fact that while player costs have risen at more or less the same rate as revenues, non-player costs would have to have nearly doubled to make the league's claims true.
If we're honest there's likely about 10 teams that make an acceptable return from what I've read. Although I doubt if we'll see contraction its the only real solution I suppose
Relocation would do the same, and would be an even better option if it were to a city in which the conditions for even a modestly profitable franchise were present.

That an a relatively robust revenue sharing structure and a reasonable ding to player salaries would probably be enough for the vast majority of teams.. 27 or 28 out of 30.. to be on stable ground.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Love the game, hate the league!

That should be the fans motto through this whole dispute.

At least my league starts on Saturday. I pay almost $800 in order to play the game I love.

:evil:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

meh. so there is a strike.

poker ratings were slipping anyways.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Love the game, hate the league!

That should be the fans motto through this whole dispute.

At least my league starts on Saturday. I pay almost $800 in order to play the game I love.

:evil:
800 bucks holy crap, is that the going rate for beer league these day? Where do you skate pacific coloseum?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ukcanuck wrote: 800 bucks holy crap, is that the going rate for beer league these day? Where do you skate pacific coloseum?
Planet Ice.

$12,240 per team.

Pretty standard these days for roughly a 40 game season playoffs included.

Icetime in the lower mainland is a rarer commodity than drinking water in Mexico City.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Aaronp18 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: 800 bucks holy crap, is that the going rate for beer league these day? Where do you skate pacific coloseum?
Planet Ice.

$12,240 per team.

Pretty standard these days for roughly a 40 game season playoffs included.

Icetime in the lower mainland is a rarer commodity than drinking water in Mexico City.
That's not too bad. Shit growing up there were only two public rinks on the west side of Vancouver, Kerrisdale and Kits. I think that's it right now too unless you count UBC. Ice economics are terrible and no one could make money on ice in Vancouver with the cost of real estate.

Now in Winnipeg there's more ice than you can handle and that doesn't include outdoor when it arrives.

What's the going rate for an hour of ice Aaron?
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Nice, I was just about to open my window, stick my head out, and yell:

“I’m as mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it anymore!!!”

But then I remembered my promise:

“Just leave me alone in my living room with my toaster, TV, and steel-belted radials and I won’t say anything.”

:mrgreen:

i STILL say no lockout. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Vpete wrote: What's the going rate for an hour of ice Aaron?
Depending on the time of day, roughly $200-300 per hour.

Can get some late night/early morning/last minute rentals for cheaper of course.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

We used to rent ice after the bars (usually the Scottsdale) closed. Can't remember what we paid, but it wasn't much (either was our playing).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Madcombinepilot wrote:meh. so there is a strike.

poker ratings were slipping anyways.
Actually these isn't a strke it is a management created LOCK -OUT.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ah well, the good news is they seem to be having a ton of meetings lately, could come down right to the wire next week! :)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

From the Shane Doan post
This Coyote thing is FAR from over. For one thing, Jamison is not a viable "owner". He doesn't have the capital. He's basically a broker looking to get others to invest in that mess. Look how long its been since he's been trying to "raise the cash". Even if he gets the deal done, they say it takes roughly $40 million to have a team function due to massive overhead costs. Where's that dough going to come from? Buying the team is just the start of the money drain.
massive overhead costs
cheers
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Jamison is merely a pimp trying to live off a deal he brokered with borrowed ca$h. The dumb [bugger] mod edit.. does not have a chance.Banko in 24 months.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If the shut out goes to a full season I guess the draft will another lottery draw ? Who know maybe McKinnon heading this way :D got to find a positive outta this thing
cheers