There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: There will be a strike

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:Not surprised the canceled all of November...

I am however surprised they are talking about canceling the winter classic so soon.

I guess the plan there is to preempt a perceived leverage point for the players.

The owners really do seem to be going for the jugular here, kind of unfortunate given the owners most recent offer was rather terrible for a team like the Canucks.
Apart from Luongo's contract, what was so terrible for the Canucks and not other teams?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Once hosted a triathlon, started the day with mini golf, moved onto five pin bowling and wrapped up in the pub with darts.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:Once hosted a triathlon, started the day with mini golf, moved onto five pin bowling and wrapped up in the pub with darts.
Did the participants wear hockey helmets?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:But besides that, why do we give a damn where some Americans think hockey ranks in popularity?
I suppose because that is a market where over 80% of the league resides and selling your product is integral to long term success thus not even having the NHL show up as a top link (behind soccer of all things which Americans despise in general) on a major sports web site where the majority of your league (and your head office) exists is likely a bad sign.

You know this already though so why you posed the question is confusing.
I'd maybe argue with 80% but yeah your point is valid, except we all know that hockey is a niche sport and hasn't so far really been able to crack the sun belt and that's despite Bettman's best efforts. additionally, it's a white Northern European sport which brings a list of social barriers with it.
It would be better for the league if the two sides were to make a lasting peace and not rush back just to save face with people who don't care anyway
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm not missing it yet. I'm really not.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

:drink: :drink: :drink:
ukcanuck wrote:
donlever wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:But besides that, why do we give a damn where some Americans think hockey ranks in popularity?
I suppose because that is a market where over 80% of the league resides and selling your product is integral to long term success thus not even having the NHL show up as a top link (behind soccer of all things which Americans despise in general) on a major sports web site where the majority of your league (and your head office) exists is likely a bad sign.

You know this already though so why you posed the question is confusing.
I'd maybe argue with 80% but yeah your point is valid, except we all know that hockey is a niche sport and hasn't so far really been able to crack the sun belt and that's despite Bettman's best efforts. additionally, it's a white Northern European sport which brings a list of social barriers with it.
Yes you'd argue ,and you might actually be correct and hit the nail on the head at 78 %.

Kills me how many people think there is a market for this league if they punt another season. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rockjetty
CC Rookie

Post by rockjetty »

Not missing it yet? It is driving me insane... All news is bad news. Watching classic games doesn't satisfy the craving. I am starting to care less, but only because I have mentally prepared for a full season shut down. If CBC would put AHL or WHL on HNIC, I would be fine...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: :drink: :drink: :drink:
ukcanuck wrote:
Yes you'd argue ,and you might actually be correct and hit the nail on the head at 78 %.

Kills me how many people think there is a market for this league if they punt another season. :lol:
Blob, I'm beginning to think you dont care about the right or wrong of it all and just want the puck dropped at any cost.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm not missing it yet. I'm really not.

I'm not either. As far as I'm concerned the owners,the players, Bettman and Feur can wallow in their greedy little world that doesn't give a flying f--- about us.

I'm actually enjoying the extra time wifey and I are spending together watching the Rockets and the Lions. She never has been a big Canucks fan.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Yes you'd argue ,and you might actually be correct and hit the nail on the head at 78 %.

Here is one US-based perspective on the lockout. Listening to drive-time sports radio here in Boston, here is what I get about the lockout:

1) It is almost never brought up/discussed. On occasion, a caller will bring it up, and they'll discuss for two minutes, and then back to the Sox, Pats, and Celtics. Boston does love it's hockey, but the NHL is just further ceding ground to the other three sports.

2) When it is discussed, most of the commentators/callers are very anti-owner/Bettman, as much because this city hates - absolutely reviles - Jeremy Jacobs. When the Bruins had their Cup celebration at the start of last year (yes,sorry for bringing that up) they were mocking the moment when Jacobs held the cup and noting that it was the only time the fans booed.

But the wider point is that in this, a fairly good US hockey city...the absence of hockey is just, well, barely even present as a topic, further driving the NHL down the depth chart of sports people care about.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote:
Apart from Luongo's contract, what was so terrible for the Canucks and not other teams?
How about the cap dropping,, for starters,,
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ukcanuck wrote: Blob, I'm beginning to think you dont care about the right or wrong of it all and just want the puck dropped at any cost.
He isn`t alone.

It is hilarious that you think right and wrong matters when everyone involved makes 7 figures or more.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Blob, I'm beginning to think you dont care about the right or wrong of it all and just want the puck dropped at any cost.
He isn`t alone.

It is hilarious that you think right and wrong matters when everyone involved makes 7 figures or more.
He's defending the rights of the less fortunates....you know, the poor bastards who only earn high 6 figure in a world where EVERYONE is making 7...
If you need air...call it in
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Potatoe1 wrote:
He isn`t alone.

Agree... and it would not break my heart to see Fehr hit by lightning and Bettman run over by a team bus .. There are
no moral principals being upheld by either side.. Its all about the money .. F them ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I can't be the only one who doesn't attach a price tag to right and wrong.
The players and owners are archetypal of the same old struggle. It doesn't matter if its for millions or a dollar ninety five .

And sorry but I have way more faith in the appeal of hockey, in the long run it will be just fine thank you.