There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: There will be a strike

Post by okcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Bettman is an ivy league grad . White probably has a grade 10 education at best. Bettman must be the idiot. :roll:

An ivy league degree doesn't necessarily make you a good commissioner of the NHL. His background is round-ball .He should of stayed with the NBA. As a matter of fact the NHL was perking along quite well until that "genius" showed up.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

okcanuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Bettman is an ivy league grad . White probably has a grade 10 education at best. Bettman must be the idiot. :roll:

An ivy league degree doesn't necessarily make you a good commissioner of the NHL. His background is round-ball .He should of stayed with the NBA. As a matter of fact the NHL was perking along quite well until that "genius" showed up.
Regardless of whether his background is "round-ball" or fucking tether ball bettman would still have a high paying gig if he wasn't the commish of the NHL......Ian White would likely be working at Mcdonalds if he couldn't skate. White is the idiot and Fehr would be wise to rein in his idiots from running their mouths. At the beginning of this mess the owners looked like the bad guys. It has done a 180 in the last two months.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mondi wrote:All the Bettman is "the smartest guy in the room" talk is utter nonsense.

You can have all the intellectual horsepower in the world, but if you are greedy, arrogant and egomaniacal you're an idiot. Bettman hits all three as far as I can tell.

Somewhere along the line, our society started equating extreme narcissism and/or personal wealth and with intelligence. These concepts are not interchangeable.

If Bettman was truly a smart guy, he'd have brokered a deal a long time ago using collaborative techniques so that both sides walked away from the table happy with the outcome. It is now likely that both sides will come away upset and with the on-going relationship damaged, perhaps irreparably.

Bettman may be the most obstinate guy in the room, but surely not the smartest.
I am no fan of Bettman but the NHLPA hired the guy who is a far bigger cunt than he when they clipped Paul Kelly at the knees. Donald Fehr has no desire to strike a deal with the owners and while I can get behind the players on the issue of contract length the fact that Fehr has cooned them into thinking they can win this fight illustrates how dumb a lot of these players really are.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote:If Bettman was truly a smart guy, he'd have brokered a deal a long time ago using collaborative techniques so that both sides walked away from the table happy with the outcome. It is now likely that both sides will come away upset and with the on-going relationship damaged, perhaps irreparably.
I think the owners will walk away happy if they get 50/50 and linkage. Those have been their sticking points.

The players are going to walk away disgruntled regardless. They had a sweet thing going under the expired CBA. They haven't been the most willing of partners in this negotiation as they have essentially offered the same deal several times, and simply rejected the core of the owners offers outright.

As for White vs Bettman. White is the idiot. He obviously fails to see that under Bettman's oversight, the players have watched their salaries jump by an average of a million dollars over the last 7 years. Bettman may be a weasel, he be stubborn, he may be less than honest, but he is nobody's idiot.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Whether White is smart or not, he is right about Bettman's terrible job as commissioner. He took the job 20 years ago and the NHL is in worse condition relative to the other three major leagues in the US than it was then. In fact, its status as the 4th sport is not even as strong as it was then. The League's presence in the US has diminished...it's become more of a niche league than it was then. I've been living in the US since 1991 and watched its presence dwindle, but Bettman never seized the opportunity after the 94 season, had a lockout and let the NHL slide into the deadpuck era. He was supposed to be the guy that took the NHL to the next level, he has done nothing of the sort, it's gone backwards. And now, with the third lockout under his reign, 2nd in 7 years ending who knows when...the league is a joke in the US. People on radio stations here and on tv literally laugh at it when the lockout comes up. Bettman has propped up the Phoenix disaster refusing to admit his own mistake, southern franchises limping along, and he didn't have the foresight - which one would think is his job - in 2004 to write a CBA with the nhlpa in tatters that would not have so many loopholes (he says they didn't see it coming, um well, isn't that his job, isn't that what the ivy league education and big salary was for?!?) ...he may be a smart guy, fine, but at this job, he's failed. Whenever and however this idiotic NHL lockout ends, please oh please let's hope this failure, disaster of a commissioner is long gone...let it be his last blight on the league, and let's hope his last huge crap he takes on the NHL isn't another year long lockout. Hockey by Jan 1, at the latest.
Last edited by Boston Canucker on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Mondi wrote:All the Bettman is "the smartest guy in the room" talk is utter nonsense.

You can have all the intellectual horsepower in the world, but if you are greedy, arrogant and egomaniacal you're an idiot. Bettman hits all three as far as I can tell.

Somewhere along the line, our society started equating extreme narcissism and/or personal wealth and with intelligence. These concepts are not interchangeable.

If Bettman was truly a smart guy, he'd have brokered a deal a long time ago using collaborative techniques so that both sides walked away from the table happy with the outcome. It is now likely that both sides will come away upset and with the on-going relationship damaged, perhaps irreparably.

Bettman may be the most obstinate guy in the room, but surely not the smartest.

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

bettman is a little prick...
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Per wrote:Not a bad analysis by White:

"I got to be honest, I personally think he's an idiot,'' White said of Bettman. "Since he's come in I think he's done nothing but damage the game."
Hate to admit it, but White has a point, any league that would allow him to be signed to a $3 million dollar contract must be ran by an idiot.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

the Dogsalmon wrote:bettman is a little prick...
Ahhhhhh!
But seriously....he really is
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Just to show how smart he is, White perpetrates the myth that the southern expansion was Gary's doing. It one thing to be stupid, quite another to advertise the fact.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Here is a copy of an e-mail i received, strongly against the players, for what its worth.... interesting the fans are starting to choose sides the longer it goes.

Subject: FW: : NHL Lock Out

This is one of the best emails I've seen.....somebody finally put it in an email....now let's forward it to the hockey players!!! There are men and woman out there saving lives working 12 hour shifts and defending our country, never mind what fireman and cops do. Maybe we should all boycott hockey when they do come back.

Read it and weep................

So the other day the NHL made the players a pretty reasonable offer, today on Sports Center I see Shane Doan whining and I'll quote this as best as possible...

SHANE DOAN "if someone is gonna rob you they say give me your money or I will hurt you, not give me your money and I'm gonna hurt you! That’s how we feel."

Well Shane Doan let's do some math. You've been in the NHL for 16 years. You've made $41,294,000 in those 16 years.

Which averages out to $2,580,875 per year and $31,474.09 per game.

Last year you averaged 21:02 min of ice time per game so basically you get paid $31,474.09 for 21 minutes of hard work.

Oh but on a plus side to play hockey, and not for long but from September until June if you make it that far and then you get the whole summer off to play golf and relax.

WOW what a tough life!

So really? Shane Doan, really?? are you gonna be that hurt if you lose $50,000, $500,000 or even a Million $ this year? or next year??

Give your head a shake and next time you wake up in the morning in your MANSION and look in the mirror I hope you realize how ridiculous you sounded when saying that to the Media.

Lastly I'll leave you with this since you are Canadian.

The 3 jobs I'm about to list are technically all jobs that are considered on duty 24/7/365 but they all get some time off here and there so I broke their average salaries up based off working 200 days a year.

Avg pay per day of work - Canadian Cop - $412.27 Avg pay per day of work - Canadian Soldier - $343.25 Avg pay per day of work - Canadian Doctor - $1,216.67

Now that being said why should YOU get paid $31,474.09 to play 21:02 minutes of a hockey game? Shut-up and play already! Last year I really enjoyed watching hockey…now this!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

TDA Rum wrote:Here is a copy of an e-mail i received, strongly against the players, for what its worth.... interesting the fans are starting to choose sides the longer it goes.

Subject: FW: : NHL Lock Out

This is one of the best emails I've seen.....somebody finally put it in an email....now let's forward it to the hockey players!!! There are men and woman out there saving lives working 12 hour shifts and defending our country, never mind what fireman and cops do. Maybe we should all boycott hockey when they do come back.

Read it and weep................

So the other day the NHL made the players a pretty reasonable offer, today on Sports Center I see Shane Doan whining and I'll quote this as best as possible...

SHANE DOAN "if someone is gonna rob you they say give me your money or I will hurt you, not give me your money and I'm gonna hurt you! That’s how we feel."

Well Shane Doan let's do some math. You've been in the NHL for 16 years. You've made $41,294,000 in those 16 years.

Which averages out to $2,580,875 per year and $31,474.09 per game.

Last year you averaged 21:02 min of ice time per game so basically you get paid $31,474.09 for 21 minutes of hard work.

Oh but on a plus side to play hockey, and not for long but from September until June if you make it that far and then you get the whole summer off to play golf and relax.

WOW what a tough life!

So really? Shane Doan, really?? are you gonna be that hurt if you lose $50,000, $500,000 or even a Million $ this year? or next year??

Give your head a shake and next time you wake up in the morning in your MANSION and look in the mirror I hope you realize how ridiculous you sounded when saying that to the Media.

Lastly I'll leave you with this since you are Canadian.

The 3 jobs I'm about to list are technically all jobs that are considered on duty 24/7/365 but they all get some time off here and there so I broke their average salaries up based off working 200 days a year.

Avg pay per day of work - Canadian Cop - $412.27 Avg pay per day of work - Canadian Soldier - $343.25 Avg pay per day of work - Canadian Doctor - $1,216.67

Now that being said why should YOU get paid $31,474.09 to play 21:02 minutes of a hockey game? Shut-up and play already! Last year I really enjoyed watching hockey…now this!
Oh really now....we are picking sides now are we? Really? For fucks sake grow up. Who cares who the fuck is on the wrong or right side of the equation. Put it into some fucking perspective, it's hockey, a game, the world does not revolve around it (and it if it does then you might wanna stare examining your pathetic life).
I love the game (Canucks) more than anyone but it's just a vice, a pleasant side distraction from other shit.

I only takes one to fight but two to compromise so how the fuck does that make it the player or owners fault? They will settle when they settle and I'm sure people can go about their sad pathetic lives in the meanwhile.

As the email says, they made lotsa money and will again, so why pay attention to any of them? I haven't read much about it because I can't really be bothered to waste my life-energy on something that I have nothing to do with.

That said...my Orca tatt has gotten me laid by some really young beauties 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I think both sides are wrong and have made a huge mistake over valuing fan loyalty... i think they will be in for a rude awakening if and when there is a settlement...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

80% of something is better than 100% of nothing...100% of the time. :roll:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….