There will be a strike

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: There will be a strike

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: 
Sure the presence of a sports franchise will enhance the economy.
Sounds like we agree after all.

Without a collective front against owners and shareholders whose sole concern is the bottom line, it always turns into a race to the bottom. A question of who will take more risk for less money?

Only in wrestling you say? Not possible in the Majors?
As myself and others have pointed out WWE is a bloody terrible comparison primarily because IT IS NOT A SPORT. Pro wrestling is a group of actors playing a role.
I think Pot hits in on the head with the "actors" bit.....I'd take it one further and say that it is a group of highly paid stunt men who are trying to play a role. If the NHL had a group of guys who were supremely athletic and fast but relegated to 4th line duty due to hockey smarts and an inability to put it all together, and all they did was come out and talk trash, stage fights, and throw choreographed hits......well then you could compare those guys to WWE wrestlers.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:Now the NHL is censoring team interviews?

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2012/ ... during-the
Well that isn't really surprising.

Look at the way Bettman gets all squirmy every time the integrity of the league is questioned in regards to officiating. He won't answer a question directly when it is directed towards the possibility of the NHL playing favorites or having an agenda when it comes to throwing "on-ice bones" the way of teams that are in non-hockey markets and struggling. He just deflects and points to other issues or successes in other leagues. So now given the opportunity to censor a reporter he (and the league) is of course going to jump on it.

I'm not sure why though to be honest. Half the players that spout off in press end up saying something that makes them seem like spoiled kids who think they are entitled to their millions and don't give a damn about their working-class fans. It's been many of the press releases and moves by the PA that have soured me to the players this time around. Instead of negotiating and getting it done, they selfishly refuse to budge on their issues and try distraction ploys like the ones in Quebec and Alberta where they attempted to have the government over turn the lockout and declare it illegal. That's a good showing of solidarity there. Let's get 60 guys paid to sit around while 650(ish) are locked out.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Never thought I'd say this, but the only thing I'm looking forward to is watching the Chicago Wolves vs Abbotsford Heat Oct. 20th, 7pm on SPN1. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lock ... ahl_games/

I'll be in my frickin glory watching that game haha.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Apparently the league has made an offer to the PA that includes a 50/50 split and some form of protection to ensure the players get at least the same $1.87b total payout they got last year.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dbr wrote:Apparently the league has made an offer to the PA that includes a 50/50 split and some form of protection to ensure the players get at least the same $1.87b total payout they got last year.
Done.

Where do they sign?

Training camp starts when?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Aaron P. Fehr. :P

I'll be pretty surprised if the PA doesn't make a counteroffer (that is also more conciliatory than past offers) but I'll be astonished if they just accept this deal straight up. There's no way Bettman put his best offer on the table right away (and Fehr knows this, and Bettman knows he knows) so there will probably be some room to maneuver.

It would be interesting to know what the particulars of the offer are (ie. is the league shouting "it's a 50/50 split that saves the 82 game season!" from the rooftops while submitting an offer that has contract term limits or closes salary cap loopholes or grants them full control over scheduling and alignment).
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dbr wrote:Aaron P. Fehr. :P

I'll be pretty surprised if the PA doesn't make a counteroffer (that is also more conciliatory than past offers) but I'll be astonished if they just accept this deal straight up. There's no way Bettman put his best offer on the table right away (and Fehr knows this, and Bettman knows he knows) so there will probably be some room to maneuver.

It would be interesting to know what the particulars of the offer are (ie. is the league shouting "it's a 50/50 split that saves the 82 game season!" from the rooftops while submitting an offer that has contract term limits or closes salary cap loopholes or grants them full control over scheduling and alignment).
Wonder if the offer is based on the higher or lower amount of defined HHR?
Cause if its the lower amount then 50/50 only looks like half and isn't at all.

If its the higher version of HRR then it could be a starting point to negotiate the other stuff.

Either way, do you think think the timing is accidental ....finally an acceptable starting point on the eve of saving the full season. Lol

How anyone can say that Bettman is anything other than the littlest prick on the planet is beyond me.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dbr wrote: It would be interesting to know what the particulars of the offer are (ie. is the league shouting "it's a 50/50 split that saves the 82 game season!" from the rooftops while submitting an offer that has contract term limits or closes salary cap loopholes or grants them full control over scheduling and alignment).
From some of the tweets out there it is contingent on an agreement being reached by Nov.2 so that a full 82 game schedule can be played.

There's also 4 year entry level contracts, UFA at 28 or 8 years service, limit of 5 year contracts past the entry level deal.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ukcanuck wrote:Either way, do you think think the timing is accidental ....finally an acceptable starting point on the eve of saving the full season. Lol

How anyone can say that Bettman is anything other than the littlest prick on the planet is beyond me.
Both leaders are known for brinksmanship, I don't know how you can point the finger solely at Bettman on this.

Anyway from what I've read (a lot of overlap with what Aaron's read by the looks of it) there are a few concessions the players must make but some additional concessions from the league ($200m in revenue sharing for one) as well.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

ukcanuck wrote:

If its the higher version of HRR then it could be a starting point to negotiate the other stuff.

Either way, do you think think the timing is accidental ....finally an acceptable starting point on the eve of saving the full season. Lol

Man you're really politically motivated :) You're still in the Them and Us era :lol:
cheers
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

The first real pressure point has been reached, and there will be a mad dash to the finish.

There was always an understanding that a 82 game schedule could be squeezed in with an early November start, and now that we're at the point where that might be in jeopardy, the NHL brought a real negotiating point to the table.

This offer won't get accepted, and there will be some back and forth, with more strong rhetoric over the next week, but the deal to be made should be within reach.

As I understand it, the NHL is willing to pay the players back the money they will lose by dropping down to 50% HRR with deferred payments over 10 years. Although that's a solution, the NHL is only willing to cover costs based on last year's total salary, meaning money will likely still be lost through escrow. There is still some negotiating to do on HRR before its settled.

The 5 year term limit will also be rejected, as it should be. I do not want to see a strict term limit, and if there is one, it will be to the detriment of the sport. With 5 or 6 year limits, star players will most assuredly get close to max contracts, meaning $9-11M per year, and 2nd tier FA's will have ridiculous cap hits, basically the NBA problem.

What I would like to see is a more creative way to restricting long term contracts based on the salary discrepancy from year to year and the age the player signs, and the projected age of retirement. Basically allow long term deals, but don't allow cheat years, and disingenuous terms. This would be more of a tweak to the current contracting rules the PA and NHL agreed to over a year ago.

I would like to see RFA extended to 8 years and 28, but the status quo may be the end result.

Apparently they've left ELC at 3 years, so that's one thing out of the way.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fred wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

Man you're really politically motivated :) You're still in the Them and Us era :lol:
hey just like The Donald, I'm willing to negotiate the terms of Bettman's surrender lol
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:The first real pressure point has been reached, and there will be a mad dash to the finish.

There was always an understanding that a 82 game schedule could be squeezed in with an early November start, and now that we're at the point where that might be in jeopardy, the NHL brought a real negotiating point to the table.

This offer won't get accepted, and there will be some back and forth, with more strong rhetoric over the next week, but the deal to be made should be within reach.

As I understand it, the NHL is willing to pay the players back the money they will lose by dropping down to 50% HRR with deferred payments over 10 years. Although that's a solution, the NHL is only willing to cover costs based on last year's total salary, meaning money will likely still be lost through escrow. There is still some negotiating to do on HRR before its settled.

The 5 year term limit will also be rejected, as it should be. I do not want to see a strict term limit, and if there is one, it will be to the detriment of the sport. With 5 or 6 year limits, star players will most assuredly get close to max contracts, meaning $9-11M per year, and 2nd tier FA's will have ridiculous cap hits, basically the NBA problem.

What I would like to see is a more creative way to restricting long term contracts based on the salary discrepancy from year to year and the age the player signs, and the projected age of retirement. Basically allow long term deals, but don't allow cheat years, and disingenuous terms. This would be more of a tweak to the current contracting rules the PA and NHL agreed to over a year ago.

I would like to see RFA extended to 8 years and 28, but the status quo may be the end result.

Apparently they've left ELC at 3 years, so that's one thing out of the way.
So do you think that we can interpret this slight movement by the NHL as an indication that we have all been waiting for Bettman to conclude that Fehr would not blink before losing the 82 game sched?
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Just did some scouring to find some of the little details in the NHLs new offer, this is what I could find.

John Shannon‏@JSportsnet
Another interesting tidbit from NHL offer... Players' Salaries for those NHLers playing in the AHL would be part of the cap.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
As we discussed on TSN's Sportscentre, NHL proposal includes the potential for retaining salary in trades.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Am told league offer also will allow teams to go over salary cap in Year 1 - up to $70 M max - as part of transition rules

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Without any "protection" or pay-back plan, that would require first-year discounting of all NHL players contacts at shade over 11 per cent.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
NHLPA conf call has ended. Nothing certain, but a counter proposal is expected in next 24-48 hrs.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Am told entry-level contracts (rookies) in new league offer is 2 years...

Elliotte Friedman
Initial reaction from players is not great. They still see themselves losing on revenue split and contract terms. Want more info on revenue-sharing formula. Also concerned about escrow for next year even with any losses guaranteed as a deferral. They do, however, see it as a start. Will be interesting to see what NHLPA comes back with.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
One issue pointed out: Entry-level deals: 2yrs. Max contract: 5 yrs. No free agency until after 8 yrs. That really clamps on 2nd contracts.