Weber is a Pred for Life

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Weber is a Pred for Life

Post by Madcombinepilot »

they matched.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Weber is a Pred for Life

Post by $lacker »

Many said the same thing about Luongo when he signed his mega deal and his includes a NTC. I would say there is more of a chance that he gets traded by Nashville in a year or two than had he gone to Philly. Obviously Weber is going to come out and say he is happy to be a Pred, but is he? Time will tell.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

happy or not, he is 110million richer.

110 million might not make you happy, but it sure can rent it!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Tough spot for Nashville...but they had to match to save their franchise.

Wonder if the new deal includes a No Trade Clause?
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Zedlee wrote:Tough spot for Nashville...but they had to match to save their franchise.

Seeing as they can't trade him for a year, after which they will have shelled out, what, like 26-28 million, and he's probably the best D-man in the league, I don't see much incentive for them to trade him, although it would be a great deal for whomever got him, with a big chunk of the contract spent. My sense is, he is in Nash for a lonnnnnnnnnnng time....
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Maybe those in the media and some fans will stop bitching about how the Canucks dropped the ball by not making a long-term offer to Weber.

Gillis called it last week and he stood by it yesterday on the radio.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Good for Nashville. I'm happy they matched. They said they would match any offer and they did. This is why Gillis didn't make an offer. He took Poile at his word.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

...it's all going according to MG's plan.

Through the use of ridiculously slanted offensive zone starts, CGI, smoke and mirrors, plus a voodoo spell, he will now transform Schroeder into such a valuable asset that he can be the centrepiece of a trade package for Weber next summer.

Truly devious.

:wow:
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

$lacker wrote:Many said the same thing about Luongo when he signed his mega deal and his includes a NTC. I would say there is more of a chance that he gets traded by Nashville in a year or two than had he gone to Philly. Obviously Weber is going to come out and say he is happy to be a Pred, but is he? Time will tell.
Exactly. We've all seen that these so-called lifetime deals aren't worth jack once the player's relationship with the team goes sour.

It would be very interesting to see what happens if the Preds miss the playoffs next year.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Zedlee wrote:Tough spot for Nashville...but they had to match to save their franchise.

Seeing as they can't trade him for a year, after which they will have shelled out, what, like 26-28 million, and he's probably the best D-man in the league, I don't see much incentive for them to trade him, although it would be a great deal for whomever got him, with a big chunk of the contract spent. My sense is, he is in Nash for a lonnnnnnnnnnng time....
Agreed, and once the contract starts to wind down and his cash pay is less than his cap hit there is even less incentive to trade him.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Paul Holmgren has sucessfully ensured Weber will never, ever play a game for the Flyers. If that's what being "bold" gets you, I'll take a pass.
CaptainTrev wrote:...it's all going according to MG's plan.

Through the use of ridiculously slanted offensive zone starts, CGI, smoke and mirrors, plus a voodoo spell, he will now transform Schroeder into such a valuable asset that he can be the centrepiece of a trade package for Weber next summer.

Truly devious.

:lol: :lol:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ESQ wrote:Paul Holmgren has sucessfully ensured Weber will never, ever play a game for the Flyers. If that's what being "bold" gets you, I'll take a pass.
CaptainTrev wrote:...it's all going according to MG's plan.

Truly devious.

RD would not think so... He has a Holmgren statue in his room. :lol:

As I said before, Holmgren is such an idiot. Besides he ensured that Weber will never play a game for the Flyers, Holmgren also ensured that the asking price for Weber will be a few times higher than it was a week ago.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Jovocop wrote:
ESQ wrote:Paul Holmgren has sucessfully ensured Weber will never, ever play a game for the Flyers. If that's what being "bold" gets you, I'll take a pass.
RD would not think so... He has a Holmgren statue in his front lawn. :lol:
Rumour is, part of the statue is brass.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

And remarkably well polished.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

I actually can't believe people though they wouldn't match.....

As has been said numerous times the Preds wanted to sign both Suter and Weber, and they made an offer to Parise as well. They Quite clearly had the cash in place to match this offer.

Obviously they didn't want to give Weber 27 mill over the next year, but losing the player and heading into a full rebuild is way worse.

Yup.

Even if Weber asks for a deal, you can more or less guarantee that Poile wont move him to the Flyers (or take their calls for any other players)