Nash to the Rangers.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Nash to the Rangers.

Post by Potatoe1 »

FAN wrote: My prediction is that the Rangers will take a step back next season, especially in the playoffs where the number of inexperienced players up front would hurt them.
Again... they have more experience then they had last year....

It doesn't guarantee they will improve but they added Nash and all the first and second year players they had last year are a year older.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Potatoe1 wrote: Again... they have more experience then they had last year....

It doesn't guarantee they will improve but they added Nash and all the first and second year players they had last year are a year older.
Forget it man. You don't get it.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

FAN wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Again... they have more experience then they had last year....

Forget it man. You don't get it.
:lol:

OK.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

FAN must be the most misunderstood poster at the Corner!
____
Try to focus on someday.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Strangelove wrote:FAN must be the most misunderstood poster at the Corner!
I bet I rank up there. Although in my mind I thought what I wrote was clear and coherent enough. :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is Nash not the classic overbloated name player with the massive contract that the Sather Rangers love or what? What is the deal with Sather? How long must he keep going down this road? Fantastic move by Columbus. This will be the biggest most important pivotal point that finally sets the BJ's on the right track.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think FAN is a fantastic contributor to this website. Do not worry about being misunderstood, Fan. I myself am greatly misunderstand, unbeknown to the masses here, I am former Vancouver Canuck elite defenseman, pizano Bobby Manno. But nobody knows that.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

RoyalDude wrote:I think FAN is a fantastic contributor to this website. Do not worry about being misunderstood, Fan. I myself am greatly misunderstand, unbeknown to the masses here, I am former Vancouver Canuck elite defenseman, pizano Bobby Manno. But nobody knows that.
Just say no to drunk posting!

Well, that makes me a hypocrite, but whatever.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So Nash goes essentially for supporting cast parts. No top players, no top prospects.
Blue Jackets fans would feel like shit here but I think Nash is developing a pretty bad reputation, deservedly or not. Big contracts like that wouldve removed most teams from the running but I honestly expected at least 1 top end player or prospect.
If he lights it up the Howson should get shit canned. He shouldve gone for some sort of reverse bonus compensation at least. If Nash hits 40/40 then they get 2 firsts or something.
As it looks now, Rags win biiiig
If you need air...call it in
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

FAN wrote:
ESQ wrote:Does anybody think the Rangers have improved substantially with this deal?
I don't think they are, unless Nash shows that he's not overrated the way some people think. Fact is the Rangers are relying on some really young and inexperienced players to fill important secondary scoring roles that Dubinsky and Anisimov filled. Stepan is probably the real deal, but other guys are rookies or second year players. But on paper they added another star player which might allow their rookies and second year players to play a support role.
Moe Lemay had a great playoffs for us. Where is he now? He looked just like the real deal. Hard to tell at this age.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The return for Nash was not all that bad people. Again, I would be happy with a similar return for Luongo.
The only HW the Canucks need
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Hockey Widow wrote:The return for Nash was not all that bad people. Again, I would be happy with a similar return for Luongo.
It's a package that works for Columbus better than the Canucks though. Without further moves, the Canucks really don't need another winger who can be a 20 goal 50 point guy for $4M+ a year but not be a top 6 solution (and I like Dubinsky). I prefer Gillis target a specific player (who is going to be a long-term fit) or specific players in a deal for Luongo, or better yet a futures oriented package but that's just me.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Lancer wrote:
Their first line will match up well against any of their division rivals and, frankly, any other team in the eastern conference.
I'll disagree there, I think the Penguins and the Flyers both have better top lines. The Flyers' top top 6 is far deeper, and the top 9 are also far deeper. If you have 66-point Richards and 66-point Nash as your top line, its not even top-3 in the East. Hell, if Toronto's top line repeats last year's performance they'll score more than the Rangers' top line.

As for the Penguins, I'd much sooner count on Crosby staying healthy than Gaborik.

Washington and Ovechkin are huge wild cards as well.

BUT, I will agree that if the Rangers get 70-assist Richards and 45-goal Nash, its a whole different ball game. I just don't see anything from their stats trajectories to believe this will be the case, but I wouldn't bet the farm on this.
The big question is who makes up the 2nd line? Ryan Callahan and Chris Kreider (promising but still unproven IMO) are on the wings, but unless they have faith that Derek Stepan can become a quality 2nd line centre this season the rest of the team looks a little vacant.
I think it is extremely foolish to expect so much from second-year players. The sophomore slump is real, and any GM who has thought it would apply to his star rookie has suffered for it.
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Hockey Widow wrote:The return for Nash was not all that bad people. Again, I would be happy with a similar return for Luongo.
I'd be amazingly happy for a similar return for Luongo... I just can't see anything near that happening.

As much as I don't want to be a complete pessimist (and believe me, I don't), I doubt we'll get more back than a player (likely a salary dump) and one reasonable/decent prospect for Lu. If we get anything more than that, I'll be overjoyed.

If his contract were half the length, it'd be different, but granted, his cap hit would probably be much closer to Nash's, too.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

I agree.

Good center depth, Erixson would easily be our best prospect and a first rounder is always a valuable chip.

I dont think the return for Lu will be as good though.

If we can get a really good prospect and a center for the 3rd line I will be happy.