RFA Voracek

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: RFA Voracek

Post by Boston Canucker »

RoyalDude wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: Four years ago, Burke and Gillis took over teams that had missed the playoffs, and since then the results of their work could not be more different. Yes, of course, Gillis came in with more to work with,
Just lightly brush over this like these two scenario's were very similar. The only similarities were the team, i.e. the Canucks. Burke took over a total fucking mess, Gillis took over a situation here where the Canucks had star quality in all positions, players who were on the verge of hitting their prime. I can only imagine how Burke must feel to see the twins hit their absolute prime under Gillis after the miraculous dealmaking he made on that faithful draft day. I can only imagine if Burke was blessed like Gillis was blessed with having top notch goaltending to go along with the Sedins hitting their prime, along Kesler and Burrows and Edler and Bieksa etc.

You want a fair comparison between Burke and Gillis, compare the situation Burke took over in Anaheim to the situation Gillis took over here. Very similar in fact. Star players in place, just needing a couple tweaks here and there, ie Neidermeyer, Pronger, Selanne and Beauchemin to Hamhius, Erhoff etc.
I didn't make the comparison, the other poster did. But they've both had four years and Gillis has results like no other Canuck GM before him - is it enough, nope, it is not, and I'm not happy with all his moves either - but this is a results based business and he has quite a few. Burke, on the other hand, can't even make the playoffs. I'm not saying Burke should have won a Pres trophy by now, but the playoffs...in four years, that was not too much too expect. Gillis didn't get the deal closed on the Cup, no doubt...until he does, his reign will be under question, that's the standard...kind of like your boy Holmgren, shakes a lot of trees, can't find a cup...
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Because we had to protect Darby Hendrickson, Jamie Huscroft, Harry York etc. Staios and Walker only played another 15 years and both became pretty fair hard nosed players.
Always liked Scotty Walker - maybe what Cooke might have been if his other had ball dropped, but even back then Staios was considered a bit slow footed, but he was really nice tough guy.

I wonder if Leif Rohlin is still on the Canuck's protected list?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: Four years ago, Burke and Gillis took over teams that had missed the playoffs, and since then the results of their work could not be more different. Yes, of course, Gillis came in with more to work with,
Just lightly brush over this like these two scenario's were very similar. The only similarities were the team, i.e. the Canucks. Burke took over a total fucking mess

I can only imagine if Burke was blessed like Gillis was blessed with having top notch goaltending to go along with the Sedins hitting their prime, along Kesler and Burrows and Edler and Bieksa etc.

You want a fair comparison between Burke and Gillis, compare the situation Burke took over in Anaheim to the situation Gillis took over here. Very similar in fact. Star players in place, just needing a couple tweaks here and there, ie Neidermeyer, Pronger, Selanne and Beauchemin to Hamhius, Erhoff etc.
What a crock of shit. Burke arrived in 98 to a team with a lot of assets.
Mogilny, Bure, McCabe, Ohlund, Hedican, Naslund, Bertuzzi , Scatchard, Aucoin( a 4th overall pick - Bryan Allen) and tons of good gritty players like Walker , Staois, Brashear and May. There was a lot of talent when Fatso got here..... no chemistry and not much of a "team" ..... but he had a shitload of tradeable chips to start a rebuild and guys like Bertuzzi, Naslund and Ohlund were already here. Fatso gave up good gritty players like Staois and Walker in the two expansion drafts and shit the bed three times trying to get a god damned goalie.
Because we had to protect Darby Hendrickson, Jamie Huscroft, Harry York etc. Staios and Walker only played another 15 years and both became pretty fair hard nosed players. But Burke is a fucking genius and he had NOTHING to work with when he got here.
This is too fucking easy.
Had to quote this......I hate to THANK myself but SOMETIMES homey RD aka Pacific Blue needs a good boot upside the grill.

Ummmmmm EXCUSE ME but POSTER BLOB - E just called you out about YOUR VAncouver Canucks yet YOU sir stuffed your HEAD in the sand like a scared coward. Ohhhh it's true..... sometimes posters don't THINK when they post so the PEOPLE's POSTER has to take them to task from time to time.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Had to quote this......I hate to THANK myself but SOMETIMES homey RD aka Pacific Blue needs a good boot upside the grill.

Ummmmmm EXCUSE ME but POSTER BLOB - E just called you out about YOUR VAncouver Canucks yet YOU sir stuffed your HEAD in the sand like a scared coward. Ohhhh it's true..... sometimes posters don't THINK when they post so the PEOPLE's POSTER has to take them to task from time to time.
LOL, your THINKER impression is very.... errr actually TOO good. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:He is on LTIR, they get cap relief. If he cannot play anymore I doubt he retires. He will stay on LTIR to collect his insurance/salary and the Flyers can utilize his cap space.

We do know he won't start the season. He is a player with long layoffs before, one where everyone thought his career was done then. I can see him testing the waters in the New Year and seeing if he still has it. Of course if he can't play then he can't play but the Flyers will be fine.
Also, the new CBA may well have some exception to the 35+ rule for those players who are injured.
Buyout at 2/3 and it doesn't count on the cap or something like that
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
What a crock of shit. Burke arrived in 98 to a team with a lot of assets.
Mogilny, Bure, McCabe, Ohlund, Hedican, Naslund, Bertuzzi , Scatchard, Aucoin( a 4th overall pick - Bryan Allen) and tons of good gritty players like Walker , Staois, Brashear and May. There was a lot of talent when Fatso got here..... no chemistry and not much of a "team" ..... but he had a shitload of tradeable chips to start a rebuild and guys like Bertuzzi, Naslund and Ohlund were already here. Fatso gave up good gritty players like Staois and Walker in the two expansion drafts and shit the bed three times trying to get a god damned goalie.
Because we had to protect Darby Hendrickson, Jamie Huscroft, Harry York etc. Staios and Walker only played another 15 years and both became pretty fair hard nosed players. But Burke is a fucking genius and he had NOTHING to work with when he got here.
This is too fucking easy.
bump..... :lol:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Iron Mike gave up on Walker, he waived him in favour of keeping Zezel his old time buddy. maybe one of the worse moves ever. Walker was a better skilled Rypien. What we wouldn't give for a player like that now. Roenick made the mistake of giving him an invite :D The only time I saw Walker lose a fight was against Chris Murray and Brashear took care of that in the next period, it's the only time I ever saw Brashear get real upset and he trashed Murray. Murray dripping every where what a mess

You don't see many like this today

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/52

Walker and Keane
cheers
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Oh boy, the name Zezel brings back a lot of painful memories

To date I'm sure many of us are still puzzled by that decision.

Zezel was just, bad.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Man the Canucks had a lot of toughness Staios, Odjik, Brashear, May, Messier, Walker, Murzyn, McCabe Cinconie, Huscroft Strudwick and McAllsiter.
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:Iron Mike gave up on Walker, he waived him in favour of keeping Zezel his old time buddy. maybe one of the worse moves ever.
Fred... Burke was the GM during the expansion draft allowing Nashville into the league. HE made the protected list and it included Jamie Huscroft . Keenan was the coach and as we all know BB did not like Iron Mike at all, so if Keenan whispered that he didn't like Walker, Burke probably would have protected the kid to spite Keenan.

Yes they kept Zezel in that draft and so they should have. Other than Messier he was really the only centre they had capable of passing the puck. Scatchard was up and coming and pretty raw at that point.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

CrzyCanuck wrote:Oh boy, the name Zezel brings back a lot of painful memories

To date I'm sure many of us are still puzzled by that decision.

Zezel was just, bad.
Zezel had 31 points in 66 games as a Canuck on a bad team, not to mention he was + 18. He was a tweener ( 2nd - 3rd liner) but he was the least of that teams issues.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Fred wrote:Man the Canucks had a lot of toughness Staios, Odjik, Brashear, May, Messier, Walker, Murzyn, McCabe Cinconie, Huscroft Strudwick and McAllsiter.
All we had was grit. That is why we sucked. We had no balance back then. Now, I'd love an Odjick on the 4th line.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

anyone else remember when ojick grabbed hedican by the head, line changed by him close-lining him into our bech so he could charge across the ice and .....

be called by the refs for illegal line change, or 'pre-meditated instigation'??

damn...

i cant find a clip for that..

but I remember watching that game!!

it was the best non-fight i ever watched..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Guess the offer sheet option is out: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401489

4 Years at $17 million. A bit much considering his production but I think both parties knew he could get that on the open market anyway considering how this summer has gone. Besides, Voracek's agent knew how much money Holmgren was willing to spend after the offer sheet he put out for Weber.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote:Guess the offer sheet option is out: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401489

4 Years at $17 million. A bit much considering his production but I think both parties knew he could get that on the open market anyway considering how this summer has gone. Besides, Voracek's agent knew how much money Holmgren was willing to spend after the offer sheet he put out for Weber.
Voracek's agent probably told Holmgren that Poile called. Voracek probably get $1m more than he could originally get...