RFA Voracek

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

RFA Voracek

Post by Tciso »

Philly's Jakub Voracek is a 22 yr old RFA putting up 50 points per for the last 3 seasons. If Philly gets Weber, they are hard against the Cap.

Should the Canucks make an offer? 3 years in the 3 million per range. Not a center, but a good young player for a 2nd round pick. Just out of Philly's reach, imo. I know they have tendered a qualifying offer, so I don't know what that does.

"$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick
$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick
$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick"
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Lancer
CC Legend

Re: RFA Voracek

Post by Lancer »

Why not? Depends on what comes out of all this. More dominoes in need of falling...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Voracek is interesting. So is the RFA option in general.

I'd prefer to go for the gusto. Offer Evander Kane 36m$ over 6 yrs, with a sizable chunk of that in bonus money.

We may have to trade assets to the Peg to have the deal completed, but he can definitely help us.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

clem wrote:Voracek is interesting. So is the RFA option in general.

I'd prefer to go for the gusto. Offer Evander Kane 36m$ over 6 yrs, with a sizable chunk of that in bonus money.

We may have to trade assets to the Peg to have the deal completed, but he can definitely help us.
Do you honestly think Mike 'the fence sitter' Gillis has the brass balls to make such an offer? He's too busy trying to find the next Manny Malhotra and Chris Higgins, real game breakers.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

RoyalDude wrote:

Do you honestly think Mike 'the fence sitter' Gillis has the brass balls to make such an offer? He's too busy trying to find the next Manny Malhotra and Chris Higgins, real game breakers.
He made an offer sheet to David Backes, so if he was interested why wouldn't he?

As it concerns Kane, whether he is worth such a deal right now is seriously open to question.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Obviously Nashville will retaliate and sign Voracek to a 5 year - $4.5M per offersheet, as soon as they match Weber's offersheet.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:Obviously Nashville will retaliate and sign Voracek to a 5 year - $4.5M per offersheet, as soon as they match Weber's offersheet.
Not just Nashville, but other GMs should try to sign Philly's RFA now.
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Boston Canucker wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: o you honestly think Mike 'the fence sitter' Gillis has the brass balls to make such an offer? He's too busy trying to find the next Manny Malhotra and Chris Higgins, real game breakers.
He made an offer sheet to David Backes, so if he was interested why wouldn't he?

As it concerns Kane, whether he is worth such a deal right now is seriously open to question.
Hey, conveniently forgetting important facts is part of the game here!

On that note, I think we're missing Boothus Christ and Baltard references. 8-)

Seriously, though, Voracek has always impressed me. Good numbers for a young guy, too. However much I'd like this to happen, nothing is going down until after Weber and Doan are done.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Mondi wrote: Mike Gillis and Brian Burke remind me of each other.

Either you build for the future or you go all in for today, but not both.
How so? Care to name some moves where Gillis went all in for today and some moves where he built for the future? Not exactly sure what you're getting at.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Mondi wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Mike Gillis and Brian Burke remind me of each other.

Either you build for the future or you go all in for today, but not both.
Four years ago, Burke and Gillis took over teams that had missed the playoffs, and since then the results of their work could not be more different. Yes, of course, Gillis came in with more to work with, but after 4 years he's got four div titles, 2 pres trophies, and as we tragically know, 1 game short of the Cup. We want more, as we should, but Burkey in 4 seasons can't even make the playoffs and seems to not even know what his plan is.

I've got issues with a number of Gillis' moves (Kassian better be the real deal, cause I'm not happy about losing Coho), but in the end this is a results based business, after 4 years (enough time for a GM to make a difference I'd suggest) Gillis is getting them and Burke is not...I also think the build or go all in is a false dichotomy, Detroit has both built and cup contended for years; the idea that you have to choose is false.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Chris Pronger's NHL career is over, the Flyers have $5m more cap space than it appears.

And as much as I like Jakub Voracek (big guy, good along the walls, distributes the puck well - sounds like a great fit with Kesler and Booth) it would take $5m or more to have the Flyers even thinking about allowing him to walk and I don't think he'll be worth that money any time soon.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

dbr wrote:Chris Pronger's NHL career is over, the Flyers have $5m more cap space than it appears.

And as much as I like Jakub Voracek (big guy, good along the walls, distributes the puck well - sounds like a great fit with Kesler and Booth) it would take $5m or more to have the Flyers even thinking about allowing him to walk and I don't think he'll be worth that money any time soon.
Depending on what the new CBA looks like, a $5 mill/yr contract for a young forward like Voracek may or may not seem reasonable. That said, considering what Holmgren's done and the calibre of team he may have if Weber does go to Philly it might be worth it for Gillis to throw a $4-5 mill/yr deal at Voracek even if only to screw Holmgren's cap state when they match. Given that the new CBA may radically close the RFA options, you may as well fuck with Holmgren while you have the option to do so. He seemingly has no compunctions about doing the same to others.

Worse comes to worst, you have a big young forward with skills who could be a good fit on the 2nd line.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

dbr wrote:Chris Pronger's NHL career is over, the Flyers have $5m more cap space than it appears.
I don't think they have the $$. Even with Pronger retiring, he has a 35+ contract. They are on the hook for him. As far as I can tell, they won't have a nickle to spend after Weber is signed.

"What's a 35-plus contract?

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract.

CBA reference: Section 50.5 (d-i-B-5) (P. 203) " CapGeek.Com
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Tciso wrote:
I don't think they have the $$. Even with Pronger retiring, he has a 35+ contract. They are on the hook for him. As far as I can tell, they won't have a nickle to spend after Weber is signed.

"What's a 35-plus contract?

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract.

CBA reference: Section 50.5 (d-i-B-5) (P. 203) " CapGeek.Com
What if he didnt retire but was on LTIR until his contract expires?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He is on LTIR, they get cap relief. If he cannot play anymore I doubt he retires. He will stay on LTIR to collect his insurance/salary and the Flyers can utilize his cap space.

We do know he won't start the season. He is a player with long layoffs before, one where everyone thought his career was done then. I can see him testing the waters in the New Year and seeing if he still has it. Of course if he can't play then he can't play but the Flyers will be fine.
The only HW the Canucks need