Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 Mill)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 M

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Strangelove wrote:...choo-choo-choose.

:roll:

..if you're accepting votes.

Manual buzzer.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Klatt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
Klatt wrote:So he would get 12M bonus now, 2M over the next season, and 12M bonus on July 1, 2013, all before Nashville will be able to trade him. Hell, the season could be cancelled, and Nashville would still be paying those bonuses before they could trade him.

Why would they want to trade him?

The Preds wanted to Keep all of their players, this deal is obviously more money up front then they wanted to spend but it's really just a cash flow thing and interest rates are super low.

Nashville mush have known that they couldn't keep Suter and Weber with out at least some front loading so unless their management has been full of crap the past few months then the cash is available.

Preds will match and Weber will most likely play there until the late stages of his career.

What a great move by Holmgren!

Again, unless the Preds have totally miss represented their financial position I don't see how this is a great move.

I see the Preds matching and if that happens I would expect some retaliatory offer sheets heading Holmgrens way.

I don't think there is any reason to believe that Nashville is well-off financially. There is some merit to the argument that Nashville would want to make the cap floor, and needs some high-priced players to do so. But I'm sure they would rather sign players that are not earning 26M over the next 12 months, 24M guaranteed in signing bonuses, as is reported.

Nashville's operating income was believe to be $-7.5M (according to Forbes). Their gate revenue is just $30M. Of course they would say they will match any offer sheet, well, actually say it is their "intention" to match any offer sheet. But that doesn't mean they can (or should) do it from a financial standpoint.

I think it could go either way. With maybe a 60% chance Weber remains in Nashville.

It is a great move by Holmgren because it costs him nothing to try. If it works, it's a fantastic move! There could be some very minor backlash of retaliation, but I can't imagine that offsets landing Weber (if he does).
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
All our words from loose using have lost their edge.
Klatt
CC Rookie

Postby surreal78 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Botch has some interesting comments by Gilman about the offer sheet here:
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html

Guess it makes sense from the Canucks' perspective if you're under the assumption that NSH will match anything offered.
surreal78

Postby Strangelove » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:16 pm

donlever wrote:
Strangelove wrote:...choo-choo-choose.

:roll:

..if you're accepting votes.

Manual buzzer.

Doesn't... matter... how... many... manual buzzers.... can't... stop...

____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Klatt wrote:60% chance Weber remains in Nashville.

I'd say 95% Weber remains in Nashville but maybe I'm just trying to go along with the majority. :wink:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby clem » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:38 pm

I’m 91% sure that over 50% of the posts in this thread are a rehash of what others have already stated.

With a twist of paraphrase to make it look like something original was added.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:47 pm

clem wrote:With a twist of paraphrase to make it look like something original was added.

I'm 99% sure that 85% of the time it is because people don't read what is already posted but rather rush to post their own "original" thoughts.

I'm 100% sure that this phenomenon has transpired the entire time I have been posting on line at these here goddamn hockey talk message boards.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Strangelove wrote: Doesn't... matter... how... many... manual buzzers.... can't... stop...

lol

Doc "Bowie" Strangelgrove
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby clem » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:59 pm

donlever wrote:
clem wrote:With a twist of paraphrase to make it look like something original was added.

I'm 99% sure that 85% of the time it is because people don't read what is already posted but rather rush to post their own "original" thoughts.

I'm 100% sure that this phenomenon has transpired the entire time I have been posting on line at these here goddamn hockey talk message boards.

Assuming that all but 15% are the result of enthusiastic exuberance seems optimistic.

Being around a log time isn’t the same as consistency or desirability. Flies have been eating crap a long time.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:17 pm

I suppose what I am saying is that having been a moderator on a board much like this for a dozen or more years, thus reading threads from beginning to end on a fairly continual basis, the phenomenon, from my perspective, is not uncommon.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby spooner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Klatt wrote:I think it could go either way. With maybe a 60% chance Weber remains in Nashville.

"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time." - Brian Fantana
spooner
CC Veteran

Postby clem » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 pm

donlever wrote:I suppose what I am saying is that having been a moderator on a board much like this for a dozen or more years, thus reading threads from beginning to end on a fairly continual basis, the phenomenon, from my perspective, is not uncommon.

No worries.

I’m 1% sure that hockey withdrawal, salary envy, & being stuck in the office on a nice day is making me cranky.

Hopefully, it doesn’t develop into a case of uncontrollable shaking, followed by wild accusations of Canuck incompetence.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby spooner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Here's something original for you guys - I have it on good authority that Shea Weber wears Sex Panther.
spooner
CC Veteran

Postby clem » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Do we want to know how you found this out?
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby donlever » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:45 pm

spooner wrote:Here's something original for you guys - I have it on good authority that Shea Weber wears Sex Panther.

I'm 100% certain that is to much information.

Cheers clem, you cantankerous sob.

:P

:wink:
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat