Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 Mill)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 M

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is there anyway Holmgren could call Gillis up and give him some advice on how to shake a tree?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Fan, remember this post of yours -

FAN wrote:
Are the Flyers happy now? Are they closer to winning the Cup? Given how the season played out, perhaps the Flyers should have focused on rebuilding their defense and not up front.

First Schenn, now Weber...gotta love Holmgren.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I would bet there's no NTC or NMC on this one so the Weber dream is far from dead.
Nashville matches and trades him to VCR in a year...

What's the difference if we waited a year then signed him as a UFA? We would have added a NTC...that's what.
There is another important thing to consider - The Cap floor for '12-'13 is supposed to be about $54 mil, and Nashville is only around $41 mil with just a couple of RFAs (Kostytsin, Wilson) left to sign.
By matching the offer sheet Nashville only just gets to last year's floor of $48 mil.

If they let Weber go, who else would they pay another $10 - $14 mil to?
If it is true that this deal involves a first year salary of 26 million (maybe it is not, but that is one rumor about Philly did to make it harder for Nash to match) then I cannot imagine the Preds would match, shell out 26 mill for one year and then trade Weber next year to a team that then gets the benefit of a decent cap hit for Weber with one quarter of the salary of the life of the contract already paid out. No owner would agree to that.

This seems to be a blessing for Nash. they have to suck it up and eat that first big year, if that is true, and then they have their man for as long as they want. I cannot see a scenario where Nash does not match unless there is some sort of trade with Philly that can be worked out ahead of time, a big trade.
They'd have to keep him for at least 3 or 4 years, to justify such a huge first year payout.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:Is there anyway Holmgren could call Gillis up and give him some advice on how to shake a tree?
My take is that Weber, for whatever reason, wasn't on Gillis' target list regarding his plan for the team long-term. If Gillis targets a player, he usually gets him or at least the public finds out after the fact that he was one of the final few whose trade offers didn't succeed in landing the player. The fact that Vancouver wasn't even mentioned among teams looking to trade for Weber tells me that Gillis wasn't hunting him.

I think he knows how to shake a tree or two. He just didn't want to shake that tree. Whether he should have or not, well we'll find out come next season.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Lancer wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Is there anyway Holmgren could call Gillis up and give him some advice on how to shake a tree?
My take is that Weber, for whatever reason, wasn't on Gillis' target list regarding his plan for the team long-term.

The other option is that Weber does want to stay with Nashville, he just wasn't getting a big enough offer to his liking.
So he scrawls his name on the biggest offer, knowing that Nashville will have to match.

So if Nashville does fold, he's also OK with playing for a contender in Philly -

and if the Preds don't ante up, it's not worth playing for them anyways (cuz it means they're too cheap to affort a top level team)
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Sure he can shake a tree, but what are the results? I've got no problem with this move, or him being aggressive etc., (even though it seems like he's just handed the Preds a gift of getting their #1 D signed long term) but this is also the same guy who signed Bryzgalov to a big contract after the latter flourished in the Tippet system where, surprise surprise, goalies tend to shine. Yes, he shook the tree there, and in that case out dropped a rather sour apple. In the end, Holmgren and Gillis both have stanley cup appearances, and losses, on their resume, so neither has figured this out fully just yet...Holmgren likes to take big cuts for the fences, good for him, but he whiffs as much as he hits, let's not get too gooey over him until he is managing a team that gets to engrave the big trophy. And, I'd say the same for Gillis. I like some of his moves, but not others...
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

BurningBeard wrote: Question will be how the contract is structured, and if they can afford the first year.
Financial details on the offer sheet from Kypreos:

-4 years @ $1M base salary with $13M signing bonus per year
-2 years @ $4M base salary with $8M SB per year
-4 years @ $6M base salary
-1 year @ $3M base salary
-3 years @ $1M base salary

http://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/225949235579867136

So Nashville only has to pony up $13M in real dollars to retain Weber and then let the dust settle and make a plan from there?

They have to match, IMO. Even if Weber is unhappy and wants to go, Poile can probably find better value in a trade than 4 (presumably low) 1st rounders
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

CaptainTrev wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: Question will be how the contract is structured, and if they can afford the first year.
Financial details on the offer sheet from Kypreos:

-4 years @ $1M base salary with $13M signing bonus per year
-2 years @ $4M base salary with $8M SB per year
-4 years @ $6M base salary
-1 year @ $3M base salary
-3 years @ $1M base salary

http://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/225949235579867136

So Nashville only has to pony up $13M in real dollars to retain Weber and then let the dust settle and make a plan from there?

They have to match, IMO. Even if Weber is unhappy and wants to go, Poile can probably find better value in a trade than 4 (presumably low) 1st rounders
But Weber would have had to know that it is more likely than not that the Preds would match, so maybe this is his way of just getting the contract done, pre-CBA, to his liking. If he really wanted to go, it would seem not signing an offer sheet, doing a one yr deal to get to UFA would be the move. The new CBA complicates that, big time, I grant, but I'd be shocked if Weber and his agent didn't see this as likely assuring he'd be in Nash long term.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Why is everyone all excited???

Obviously Weber wants to stay in Nash. No way he would risk Nash matching if he wanted out. All Philly has done is assure Weber he gets a long term deal under the current CBA rules. Nash could have dragged the process out and squeezed Weber as the deadline for the CBA approached.

Nash will match, Weber will be thrilled...

Nothing to see here!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

CaptainTrev wrote:
There's a game of chicken going on right now. I think Phi & Nash will work out a "handshake" deal. The 4 1st rounders will go to Nash as compensation and then Nash will trade them back to Philly for some package of established players and prospects.
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

No matter where Weber ends up, I guess this makes things simpler for MG: Luongo for Weber in a straight swap of boat anchor contracts.

We could make Nashville or Philly throw in some draft picks to take Rinne/Bryzgalov's crap contracts off their hands so they can annoint Lou their #1

The dream must never die!!!
Last edited by CaptainTrev on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

CaptainTrev wrote: They have to match, IMO. Even if Weber is unhappy and wants to go, Poile can probably find better value in a trade than 4 (presumably low) 1st rounders
I'm pretty sure that a cap hit of 7.8 is below the threshold for 4 1st rounders. I believe the compensation in this case would only be two firsts, a second and a third (and as you said, pretty low picks at that).

My money is on Nashville matching.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Mondi wrote:With each passing day, Gillis reminds more and more of Brian Burke.
Why should Gillis help Weber get the contract he wants in Nashville?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Well, if Nashville doesn't match this offer its a franchise crushing move. Pollie will have to loose his job for letting the core of the team implode. Craziness.

I wonder who pulls the offer-sheet move when Edler comes due?
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

Mondi wrote:With each passing day, Gillis reminds more and more of Brian Burke.
That's a little harsh.

We'll have to see how this pans out but if Nashville matches, and I believe they will, then this wasn't a good move on Holmgren's part at all. Yeah he can say he took a shot but what he really did was allow Nashville to lock Weber up long-term. Now maybe Weber would have signed long-term in Nashville anyway, we'll never know now. Maybe like others have mentioned, Weber signed the offer sheet knowing full well that Poile would likely match it. But...Weber is obviously open to the idea to playing in Philly and Holmgren's risky move may have just ensured that he never will.