Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 Mill)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 M

Post by Madcombinepilot »

is 26 million in the first year legal in the current cba?

currently (if i remember correctly) you cant pay a single player more than 20(?)% of the cap in a single year... so if the cap is 70 million, can you pay weber more than 14 million in the first year?

(I did no reaserch on this, i am asking if anyone knows)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

rats19 wrote:They don't want webber anywhere but Nashville..simple :lol:
I kind of agree.

The Preds aren't going to pose any type of threat next year so I would still prefer him there vs. heading east and turning the Flyers into a real contender.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

rats19 wrote:They don't want webber anywhere but Nashville..simple :lol:
That's probably it. They know the chances Nashville lets Weber go are almost zero. But they did front load with signing bonuses so they must be thinking though a long shot, stealing Weber for 4 late round picks would be sweet tits.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Madcombinepilot wrote:is 26 million in the first year legal in the current cba?
I read 14 a year over the first 4 or 5 years. I don't think anyone knows the official numbers but I don't think 26 is right.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Philadelphia would be eligible to trade Weber at any time, but Nashville would have to wait a year.
Weber's concern over uncertainty (& the new CBA) seems to have outweighed negotiating better contract terms (NTC, NMC) as a UFA.

Holmgren gets some good PR, even if he doesn't get Weber. Time for Nashville ownership to show how serious they are.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/07/19 ... fer-sheet/
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

ODB wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:is 26 million in the first year legal in the current cba?
I read 14 a year over the first 4 or 5 years. I don't think anyone knows the official numbers but I don't think 26 is right.
ah.

thanks
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Nashville, Tenn. (July 19, 2012) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile issued the following statement this morning:

"We are in receipt of the offer sheet signed between the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber. Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, the Predators have one week to decide whether to match or accept the compensation. We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea. Our ownership has provided us with the necessary resources to build a Stanley Cup-winning team. Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term.

“We do not anticipate any further comments on this situation until we make our decision within the next seven days.”
They'll match!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ODB wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Holmgren is an idiot. The Preds, barring a major financial problem, will most likely match the offer sheet. Holmgren is basically helping Poile to do his job.
I don't think the offer helped Poile at all. It definitely helped Weber.

Poile had the option to drag the process out. Will we trade him will we not?

The uncertainty around the expiring CBA, and what might come, put Weber in a very bad spot. The NHL opened with five year max contracts and five equal cap hits. They also said they wanted to raise the UFA age. Both crushing if your last name is Weber! Poile uses that and the calendar to get Weber to sign long term before the CBA expires. He holds the cards. The only Play Weber had was to sign an offer sheet. He's happy in Nashville, that is a fact. If he wasn’t he wouldn’t have risked signing a life time contract that Poile can match. All Weber wanted was a good term and a Crosby type contract. He got it and Poile lost his CBA leverage.

Good for Weber, he's a beast.
Yes, money-wise might not be good for the Preds; however,Poile will not lose Weber to UFA for sure. Letting Hamhuis walked for a low draft pick 2 seasons ago and losing Suter to Minny this season for nothing, Poile cannot afford to lose Weber next season. At the end of the day, the money is coming from the owner's pocket, not Poile.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah they'll match, and depending on the NTC, they should trade him to the Canucks before his next signing bonus kicks in next offseason. :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

If the Preds were planning on keeping Suter and Weber, then the front loaded money shouldn't be an issue.

And if Nashville matches, what's the point of making a multiyear offer sheet?

Seems to me Weber signed the biggest possible deal in the hopes of the Preds matching, unless he, or his agent, know something about Nashville's financial situation that we don't know.

It's too early wet the bed and cry over Gillis not signing Weber to this offer-sheet. Now if the Predators don't match...then there can be some second guessing...otherwise, as it's been noted by a few, why help Weber get paid by his home team?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Yeah Poile has stated, as ODB quoted, that they will match any offer sheet sent Shae's way.

They have to match or they might as well quit the league. The way Philly competes they will be late first rounders for four years without question. Chances are they won't get anyone close to Weber's talent level in those picks.

Basically Holmgren has helped Shae get the deal he wants with Nashville. Maybe he wants to stay there or maybe he wants out and will ask to be traded when the season is done. Hell it may be that he's only going to play a partial season depending on how the CBA negotiations go!

Just don't expect Poile to move him to Philly anytime soon 8-)
Last edited by Aaronp18 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Jovocop wrote:Yes, money-wise might not be good for the Preds; however,Poile will not lose Weber to UFA for sure. Letting Hamhuis walked for a low draft pick 2 seasons ago and losing Suter to Minny this season for nothing, Poile cannot afford to lose Weber next season. At the end of the day, the money is coming from the owner's pocket, not Poile.
I'm not sure what you're talking about? Nobody ever suggested for a second Poile would risk losing Weber as a UFA???
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ODB wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Yes, money-wise might not be good for the Preds; however,Poile will not lose Weber to UFA for sure. Letting Hamhuis walked for a low draft pick 2 seasons ago and losing Suter to Minny this season for nothing, Poile cannot afford to lose Weber next season. At the end of the day, the money is coming from the owner's pocket, not Poile.
I'm not sure what you're talking about? Nobody ever suggested for a second Poile would risk losing Weber as a UFA???
If, only if, a team signs Weber to a year offer sheet, Poile would be in big trouble. If Poile matches, Weber cannot be traded and will be an UFA next season. If he does not, Weber is gone for draft picks only. Wouldn't that be a nightmare for Poile? Now, Holmgren made sure that it would not happen.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Jovocop wrote:If, only if, a team signs Weber to a year offer sheet, Poile would be in big trouble. If Poile matches, Weber cannot be traded and will be an UFA next season. If he does not, Weber is gone for draft picks only. Wouldn't that be a nightmare for Poile? Now, Holmgren made sure that it would not happen.
I see what you’re saying but it IMO a one year offer wasn’t something Weber would have considered signing.

His goal wasn’t to become a UFA. It was to get a mega contract before the rules change in two months.

Had the CBA not been set to expire, it would have / could have been a real issue. Too many uncertainties with the new CBA! The fact is he may not have been a UFA next year if he signed a one year deal. His next contract would have had to possibly follow the 5x5 rule and Weber wants no part of that bull shit!

There was no threat of a one year offer.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ODB wrote:
Jovocop wrote:If, only if, a team signs Weber to a year offer sheet, Poile would be in big trouble. If Poile matches, Weber cannot be traded and will be an UFA next season. If he does not, Weber is gone for draft picks only. Wouldn't that be a nightmare for Poile? Now, Holmgren made sure that it would not happen.
I see what you’re saying but it IMO a one year offer wasn’t something Weber would have considered signing.

His goal wasn’t to become a UFA. It was to get a mega contract before the rules change in two months.

Had the CBA not been set to expire, it would have / could have been a real issue. Too many uncertainties with the new CBA! The fact is he may not have been a UFA next year if he signed a one year deal. His next contract would have had to possibly follow the 5x5 rule and Weber wants no part of that bull shit!

There was no threat of a one year offer.
Could be. Anyhow, I hate the Flyers more and more each day. The offer sheet to Kesler (a Canuck) and now to Weber (someone that all of us would love to have as a Canuck). Basically, the chance of having Weber as a Canuck drop from 1-2% to 0%....