Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 Mill)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 M

Post by Potatoe1 »

Klatt wrote: I don't think there is any reason to believe that Nashville is well-off financially. There is some merit to the argument that Nashville would want to make the cap floor, and needs some high-priced players to do so. But I'm sure they would rather sign players that are not earning 26M over the next 12 months, 24M guaranteed in signing bonuses, as is reported.
The Preds have said over and over that they planned to sign both Suter and Weber this off season. They must have known that the players would want money up front + a healthy salary every year.

If they didn't have at least 20 mill in real cash set aside to get both guys under contract then they should have known a while ago that they couldn't sign both.

If they were genuine in their intentions to sign both then they have the money for Weber and they are going to match.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Dregger is reporting Weber wanted out. Poile was shopping him and the asking price was very high. Poile was given a heads up an offer sheet was coming and couldn't get a deal done.

This changes things somewhat. I was all but certain Nashville matches but now who knows? How do you make Weber play out a lifetime contract when he’s said he wants to move on?

But all that doesn’t makes sense???

If Weber wanted out why sign the offer sheet now? Why not give Poile a list of teams and a deadline of Sept 1? Why totally and completely fuck Nashville over?

Unless Weber is just cut-throat and figures why go to a team that gets gutted acquiring me when I can go to a team loaded for bear? Wow, what a position to put Nashville in!

IDK, Just happy it’s not our Nucks. How can Poile survive this off season? Could he have fucked things up any worse?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ODB wrote:If Weber wanted out why sign the offer sheet now? Why not give Poile a list of teams and a deadline of Sept 1? Why totally and completely fuck Nashville over?
Poile needs to match, with a big fuck you to Weber by gutting the rest of the team and go through a 5-6 year solid rebuild. lol.

:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

SKYO wrote:
ODB wrote:If Weber wanted out why sign the offer sheet now? Why not give Poile a list of teams and a deadline of Sept 1? Why totally and completely fuck Nashville over?
Poile needs to match, with a big fuck you to Weber by gutting the rest of the team and go through a 5-6 year solid rebuild. lol.

:thumbs:
LOL, ya know... that could be the best idea I've ever seen come from your fingers.

*Poile looks at Weber, fuck me... FUCK ME... No FUUUUUUCK YOU! It's rebuild time baby!!!"
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

ODB wrote:Dregger is reporting Weber wanted out. Poile was shopping him and the asking price was very high. Poile was given a heads up an offer sheet was coming and couldn't get a deal done.

This changes things somewhat. I was all but certain Nashville matches but now who knows? How do you make Weber play out a lifetime contract when he’s said he wants to move on?

But all that doesn’t makes sense???

If Weber wanted out why sign the offer sheet now? Why not give Poile a list of teams and a deadline of Sept 1? Why totally and completely fuck Nashville over?

Unless Weber is just cut-throat and figures why go to a team that gets gutted acquiring me when I can go to a team loaded for bear? Wow, what a position to put Nashville in!

IDK, Just happy it’s not our Nucks. How can Poile survive this off season? Could he have fucked things up any worse?
The issue here is the compensation - for an offer sheet of this size to get 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd is a joke. It really should be changed to include the greater of a certain yearly value or total overall value. Weber really did screw the Preds by doing this, though he didn't have much choice with the new CBA coming in. If he wanted his money this offseason was the only time.

Hat said, if it's true he wants out then he screws himself. Nashville almost has to match, so he's stuck there at least another year as he can't get traded if they match for a year.

Gilman talked about the Nucks trying to get him too - he's right, they don't have the assets and there's no way that the Preds can let this offer sheet work. They have to match and I fully expect they will.

Gotta love Philly - they are like the kid with major ADD that can't decide what the hell they want. They have to make a splash every year for some reason. Sounds like a lot of fans on this board and others actually.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Diehard1 wrote:The issue here is the compensation - for an offer sheet of this size to get 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd is a joke.
Dont know if its been said ealier in this thread but Its the total value divided by 5.

Compensation is 4 1st rounders.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

black ace wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:The issue here is the compensation - for an offer sheet of this size to get 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd is a joke.
Dont know if its been said ealier in this thread but Its the total value divided by 5.

Compensation is 4 1st rounders.
4 1st rounders from Edmonton/Columbus are much more valuable than from Philly/Vancouver. At the end of the day, the compensation is still not fair.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Weber also visited San jose, NYR, and Detroit.

Another local guy who didnt really want to play here as bad as we thought.

Nashville is apparently going to try and get a trade worked out. Since they are talking trade they arent going to let him walk for nothing. Smart move by Nashville. Will Philly offer enough to get him ?

I dont think the actual structure of the deal will be a deterrent for Nashville. They are either comfortable with the terms or there not.

There is always Shane Sundin errr Doan.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

black ace wrote:Weber also visited San jose, NYR, and Detroit.

Not sure as I take it as him not wanting to play here.

He probably visited the teams that were heavily involved in negoations with the Predators regarding a trade , or with teams who were in constant contact with his agent.

As someone mentioned above Vancouver didn't have the assets to make a trade for Weber and I don't know if Aquilini really wanted to shell out that kind of jack up front. Dude just did that with Luongo and he is also going through a messy divorce.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
black ace wrote:Weber also visited San jose, NYR, and Detroit.

Not sure as I take it as him not wanting to play here.

He probably visited the teams that were heavily involved in negoations with the Predators regarding a trade , or with teams who were in constant contact with his agent.

As someone mentioned above Vancouver didn't have the assets to make a trade for Weber and I don't know if Aquilini really wanted to shell out that kind of jack up front. Dude just did that with Luongo and he is also going through a messy divorce.
Personally I don't think it's a question of Aquilini having the dough, after all most of it is in his father's name anyway and the family's net worth has been estimated in the $5 billion range, so they have lots. I think it's as Gilman said, there's no reason to think Philly will actually get him and if they do it will probably be some sort of modified sign and trade.

Would have been nice to have Shea patrolling the back end, but Philly could be completely screwed in re-signing guys like Giroux, Schenn and Hartnell if they aren't able to rid themselves of a few other deals in the near future - that's if they get Shea, and I don't expect them to.

Would sure be nice to have Shea in the east though.......
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Just a thought/question: Could Poile trade Weber's rights to another team who can match the offer sheet from Philly, or is it only Nashville who can match?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote:IDK, Just happy it’s not our Nucks. How can Poile survive this off season? Could he have fucked things up any worse?
I don't think that Poile screwed this up. I think this is the screwed up system the NHL has in place regarding players and free agency. You put time into a player, so you should be able to get something for the player. I don't think it's a fair system and this highlights why. Weber is RFA, he wants out of Nashville, Poile knows this and also knows that he needs to get something in return for Weber. The teams that are interested know that if Poile wants a fair return, which in this case means something like Schenn and Couturier, well all the rival GM's have to do is say fuck you and sign Weber to an offer sheet that screws Poile over and forces his hand. Match or lose the player. There's no negotiation, no real hockey moves made, just cut-throat business where the deep pocket team comes in and walks all over the team that has fought to get into a place where they are a top 4 team in their conference. It places teams on an unequal footing, and the whole point of the salary cap world was to level the playing field. That kinda backfired in cases like this.

So while Poile is screwed, I don't think he screwed up. He can't just give Weber away for nothing. His job is to ice a competitive team, if he's losing the best player on his team, then he needs to get something in return for that guy, and it needs to be a worthwhile return. If another team can simply take Weber away from him in exchange for what will likely be some mediocre 1st round picks when you consider the team that Weber is going to and where that team will likely finish in the standings.

The change that needs to be made is not to make players ineligable for UFA status for 10 years, but to simply do away with the RFA crap. This way if a player doesn't like where he is playing, if he doesn't want to stay, then he simply signs a contract that takes him to his UFA year and the GM knows that he had better move the player.....and if the GM is worth his paycheque then he will try and move the player before he enters the last year of his contract.

This is a bit of a rant, but I just hate this RFA offer sheet crap.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Lancer wrote:Just a thought/question: Could Poile trade Weber's rights to another team who can match the offer sheet from Philly, or is it only Nashville who can match?
I'm pretty sure that isn't an option - either they match and can't trade him for a year or they don't match and get compensation. They may also work out a deal with Philly where they don't match and trade picks back for assets they want - reportedly Schenn +Couterier+
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

How about this, we trade Mike Gillis, the whole scouting department, David Booth and Keith Ballard to the Flyers for Paul Holmgren?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

can we trade the dude to philly? :)

with the preds desperate for both a bad contract (they need to get to the cap floor) and defencemen, we trade Ballard to the Preds for Gaustad and Halischuk.

Everyone wins :)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.