Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 Mill)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 M

Post by Zedlee »

[/quote] I see what you’re saying but it IMO a one year offer wasn’t something Weber would have considered signing.

His goal wasn’t to become a UFA. It was to get a mega contract before the rules change in two months.
[/quote]

This...exactly. Cash in while the cash is there! Weber now has his mega deal.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I have to say if I'm the Nashville fan I'm thinking the gigs up and the point of investing my time and savings into the NHL must be fading, there has to be some loss of faith in Tennessee right about now...and who knows other franchises in a similar situation. Hey contraction may just be a round the corner. Tough for a small market team these days
cheers
Klatt
CC Rookie

Post by Klatt »

To answer some questions (if it hasn't been answered) 26M in the first year is accurate (according to contract details from Kypreos and Dreger)

Signing bonus would be given now, then next year's would be on July 1, 2013.
Nashville won't be able to trade Weber until July 26, 2013 if they match.

So he would get 12M bonus now, 2M over the next season, and 12M bonus on July 1, 2013, all before Nashville will be able to trade him. Hell, the season could be cancelled, and Nashville would still be paying those bonuses before they could trade him.

It's a crazy contract for Nashville to match... but they will only get four 1st round picks if they do not match (and likely not high in those rounds). For RFA Compensation it is total of contract (110M) divide by number of years of contract. However, there is a max of 5 years. So 110/5 = 22M for RFA compensation purposes.

Working under current CBA rules, Weber's contract would become attractive to teams (e.g. Florida and Nashville right now) trying to reach the cap floor when he gets to his late 30's. What team trying to save money wouldn't want a cap hit that is 6.5M more than you have to pay in salary? Not to mention you bring in a big name talent to a small market.

What a great move by Holmgren!
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
All our words from loose using have lost their edge.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Klatt wrote: So he would get 12M bonus now, 2M over the next season, and 12M bonus on July 1, 2013, all before Nashville will be able to trade him. Hell, the season could be cancelled, and Nashville would still be paying those bonuses before they could trade him.
Why would they want to trade him?

The Preds wanted to Keep all of their players, this deal is obviously more money up front then they wanted to spend but it's really just a cash flow thing and interest rates are super low.

Nashville mush have known that they couldn't keep Suter and Weber with out at least some front loading so unless their management has been full of crap the past few months then the cash is available.

Preds will match and Weber will most likely play there until the late stages of his career.

Again, unless the Preds have totally miss represented their financial position I don't see how this is a great move.

I see the Preds matching and if that happens I would expect some retaliatory offer sheets heading Holmgrens way.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:I have to say if I'm the Nashville fan I'm thinking the gigs up and the point of investing my time and savings into the NHL must be fading, there has to be some loss of faith in Tennessee right about now...and who knows other franchises in a similar situation. Hey contraction may just be a round the corner. Tough for a small market team these days
If they dont match then you have a point.

If they do match (which the likely will) then Preds Fans are feeling great. They just got their franchise player locked up log term on a great contract.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote: If they do match (which the likely will) then Preds Fans are feeling great. They just got their franchise player locked up log term on a great contract.
Just can't see how they don't match.

Who do they sign to try and get to the cap floor if they let Weber walk?

The only reason this is a great move by Holmgren is that it keeps Weber out of the East and in particular his division. Imagine if the Pens picked up Weber somehow!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Klatt wrote: So he would get 12M bonus now, 2M over the next season, and 12M bonus on July 1, 2013, all before Nashville will be able to trade him. Hell, the season could be cancelled, and Nashville would still be paying those bonuses before they could trade him.

The Preds wanted to Keep all of their players, this deal is obviously more money up front then they wanted to spend but it's really just a cash flow thing and interest rates are super low.

Nashville mush have known that they couldn't keep Suter and Weber with out at least some front loading so unless their management has been full of crap the past few months then the cash is available.

Preds will match and Weber will most likely play there until the late stages of his career.

Again, unless the Preds have totally miss represented their financial position I don't see how this is a great move.

I see the Preds matching and if that happens I would expect some retaliatory offer sheets heading Holmgrens way.
Exactly. Holmgren just screw up other GMs who are trying hard to trade for Weber. Those GMs, including MG, should try their best to sign all Philly's RFAs to offer sheets... Holmgren is such an ass. :evil:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Aaronp18 wrote: Just can't see how they don't match.
Sounds like GMMG agrees with you.
Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph
RT @BradZiemer: #Canucks seriously discussed an offer sheet for Weber, but determined there was no way to land player as Preds would match.
Who do they sign to try and get to the cap floor if they let Weber walk?
Exactly.

Spend 8 mill on garbage, or spend 14 mill on a Norris trophy winner. A good chance of the difference will negated by lost revenue anyway given the Preds with Weber, still have a decent shot at the playoffs next year. Wth out Weber they are a crap team that misses for sure.
The only reason this is a great move by Holmgren is that it keeps Weber out of the East and in particular his division. Imagine if the Pens picked up Weber somehow!
That part I agree with, although the Flyers have some key RFA's coming up over the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see some retaliation by the Preds.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote: That part I agree with, although the Flyers have some key RFA's coming up over the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see some retaliation by the Preds.
True, though based on how the CBA turns out it may make offer sheets more difficult by limiting term.

Or possibly more effective as the cap hit will likely be higher and if Philly is close to the cap they may not be able to match.

Though there's still the fact that a player actually still has to agree to an offer sheet from Nashville! :wink:
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ODB wrote: Why should Gillis help Weber get the contract he wants in Nashville?
The real question is, why did the flyers ?

Something about this just isn't right.

Why would the Flyers bother with the offer sheet if they weren't fairly sure the Preds wouldn't match.
I was thinking the same thing - perhaps the rumor was going around that Weber could be dealt to NYR or some other Eastern team, and Philly wanted to torpedo that.
Perhaps lots of teams sent in offer sheets, and this was just the best one...
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

i dont. Sorry to disagree Pot, but there was an uproar when Kesler was offered his sheet, fans screaming for payback, and there was no retrubution, so I would not expect any now. Buisness is buisness. besides, Philly did nashville a favor.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well we knew Weber's new contract was going to be Crosby-esque amirite? :mex:

The only question was which team would he choo-choo-choose.

Looks like he choo-choo-chooses Nashville

(Philly came in 2nd?).

Agree with Ohdee, it appears the new-cba opening volley from the owners spooked the Weber camp.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
i dont. Sorry to disagree Pot, but there was an uproar when Kesler was offered his sheet, fans screaming for payback, and there was no retrubution, so I would not expect any now. Buisness is buisness. besides, Philly did nashville a favor.
Thats because it was no-nuts Nonis at the helm back then.

When Gillis went after Bakes, JD promptly matched and then offer sheet-ed Bernier as payback.

Thats how JD rolls, Poile may be a different sort of duck though.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:...choo-choo-choose.

:roll:

..if you're accepting votes.

Manual buzzer.
DeLevering since 1999.
Klatt
CC Rookie

Post by Klatt »

Potatoe1 wrote:

I don't think there is any reason to believe that Nashville is well-off financially. There is some merit to the argument that Nashville would want to make the cap floor, and needs some high-priced players to do so. But I'm sure they would rather sign players that are not earning 26M over the next 12 months, 24M guaranteed in signing bonuses, as is reported.

Nashville's operating income was believe to be $-7.5M (according to Forbes). Their gate revenue is just $30M. Of course they would say they will match any offer sheet, well, actually say it is their "intention" to match any offer sheet. But that doesn't mean they can (or should) do it from a financial standpoint.

I think it could go either way. With maybe a 60% chance Weber remains in Nashville.

It is a great move by Holmgren because it costs him nothing to try. If it works, it's a fantastic move! There could be some very minor backlash of retaliation, but I can't imagine that offsets landing Weber (if he does).
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
All our words from loose using have lost their edge.