Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 Mill)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 M

Post by ODB »

The only reason Weber signed is he gets the contract he wants out of Nashville and Nashville can't drag things out as Sept 15 approaches and then squeeze Weber.

Weber is thinking fuck this 5 year 5 equal cap hits shit...
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

RoyalDude wrote:Is there anyway Holmgren could call Gillis up and give him some advice on how to shake a tree?
Like shaking out a Bryz?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Brian Burke is a full on narcissist, wants the camera in his face, wants to bully people and loves the limelight.

Gillis is all about team and teamwork, giving credit where it is due and would prefer to not have anything to do with media attention.

Burkes waxes on tough about beligerence and arriving in a surly mood and then signs guys like Colby Armstrong and Tim Connolly who can't stay out of the infirmary.

Gillis does everything he can, beyond the norm, to the point where teams around the league are taking notice, to make sure his team is as fit, healthy, well rested and prepared as possible.

Brian Burke signs John Michael Liles to a 4 million and change long term deal.

Gillis signs Jason Garrison to a similar dollar value long term deal.

Yeah, exactly the same guy.
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Maybe thays exactly what he wanted...keep weber in Nashville on a pretender (for now) ...worst case....pick up a norris d-man..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

good on Gillis for avoiding this headache. Nothing makes other GM's hate you more than launching massive offersheets around the league. I agree with ODB, If Weber wanted to go to vancouver, he would have. RD is unrealistic if he thinks Gillis didnt call Nashville enquiring on Weber

Weber gets what he wants..

Nashville and Philly get what they want...

RD gets another round of ammo for his hate gillis rants..

everyone is happy
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

spooner wrote: I'm pretty sure that a cap hit of 7.8 is below the threshold for 4 1st rounders. I believe the compensation in this case would only be two firsts, a second and a third (and as you said, pretty low picks at that).

My money is on Nashville matching.
I may have been wrong above. I think that the compensation may be based on the highest 5 years of salary.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ODB wrote:
Mondi wrote:With each passing day, Gillis reminds more and more of Brian Burke.
Why should Gillis help Weber get the contract he wants in Nashville?

The real question is, why did the flyers ?

Something about this just isn't right.

Why would the Flyers bother with the offer sheet if they weren't fairly sure the Preds wouldn't match.

The Preds only have to pony up 14 mill per year for Weber which is a lot but they intended to have both Weber and Suter signed to big deals this summer and must have had the cash flow to do it. Did they think the guys were going to take deferred money or something?

If they don't match in Weber it confirms that Poile is totally full of crap and never had the money to sign Suter.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I really don't understand Philly giving him this term.

You sign a long-term to bring the cap hit down, but the cap hit is still at $8 million, making it the highest cap hit for any defenseman in the league.

If you want to make it a really tough call for Nashville, you'd have to put up max compensation, meaning a higher cap hit and dangling 4 first-round picks.

With this cap hit, term, and rfa compensation, it is an absolute no-brainer that Nashville matches, so as has been said above, all Holmgren has done is help Weber get the contract he wanted in Nashville.

If Weber does end up in Philly, I'll bow down to Holmgren as RD wishes :lol:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

spooner wrote:
spooner wrote: I'm pretty sure that a cap hit of 7.8 is below the threshold for 4 1st rounders. I believe the compensation in this case would only be two firsts, a second and a third (and as you said, pretty low picks at that).

My money is on Nashville matching.
I may have been wrong above. I think that the compensation may be based on the highest 5 years of salary.
Compensation is based on the salary over the full term of the deal divided by the number of years on the contract to a maximum of five - so if Weber's contract is worth $100m the compensation would be calculated based on a $20m+ figure.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:Gotta love Holmgren. Gillis take notice and bow your head you fence sitter.
Holmgren is an idiot. The Preds, barring a major financial problem, will most likely match the offer sheet. Holmgren is basically helping Poile to do his job. If you are coming from the pov that Holmgren really did not want any other team to land Weber... he might be a genius. Weber will be a Pred for a very long time. :evil:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Yes, sad that the dream dies but it was a pipe dream at the best.

Nashville matches. The compensation they get from is far below what Weber is worth. They can absorb the cap hit no problem. The question I have is this: Was this done to expedite the Nashville signing.

Seems Nashville was using the possibility of trading Weber and trying to drag the signing out hoping a new CBA would arrive. In steps Philly knowing Nashville will match. They work out an offer sheet they can live with and on a hope and a prayer, worst case for them, Nashville declines and they land Weber. But fully expecting Nashville matches they move these dominos along and put Nashville in salary hell for the next few years, well salary hell for Nashville. Cap hit will be fine as I am sure it is what they expected to pay for Weber anyway.

As for Weber he is obviously fine with finishing his career in Nashville as I think he fully expects the Preds to match but if not he has a team of his choice. The advent of a new CBA came at the wrong time for Weber. HE wasn't able to explore UFA for risk it would be far different next year. Lets hope Edler and Burrows fear the same thing.
The only HW the Canucks need
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

dbr wrote: Compensation is based on the salary over the full term of the deal divided by the number of years on the contract to a maximum of five - so if Weber's contract is worth $100m the compensation would be calculated based on a $20m+ figure.
Thanks Dave. I just finished looking it up in the CBA - you're bang on. Here is the wording from the CBA for anyone that cares:
...(determined by dividing such compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

It's difficult to envision Nashville not matching this. Four late first rounders likely wouldn't get them anything close to what they have with Weber. I'm not sure what Philly is trying to accomplish here, other than trying this on a hope and a prayer that Nashville won't match.

Weber is obviously happy to stay in Nashville, otherwise he wouldn't sign an offer sheet Poile will likely match. It looks like this will just speed the negotiation process up, if nothing else.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Jovocop wrote:Holmgren is an idiot. The Preds, barring a major financial problem, will most likely match the offer sheet. Holmgren is basically helping Poile to do his job.
I don't think the offer helped Poile at all. It definitely helped Weber.

Poile had the option to drag the process out. Will we trade him will we not?

The uncertainty around the expiring CBA, and what might come, put Weber in a very bad spot. The NHL opened with five year max contracts and five equal cap hits. They also said they wanted to raise the UFA age. Both crushing if your last name is Weber! Poile uses that and the calendar to get Weber to sign long term before the CBA expires. He holds the cards. The only Play Weber had was to sign an offer sheet. He's happy in Nashville, that is a fact. If he wasn’t he wouldn’t have risked signing a life time contract that Poile can match. All Weber wanted was a good term and a Crosby type contract. He got it and Poile lost his CBA leverage.

Good for Weber, he's a beast.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

They don't want webber anywhere but Nashville..simple :lol:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….