Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Shane Doan

Post by SKYO »

Yup Gillis/Gilman just have to be patient, keep their offer on the table which is hopefully one that Doan likes (decent term/security, good pay, some reassurance he will be used in a important role on the team etc) plus is reasonable for the Canucks. Maybe give his wife/family some season box seats. :rockin:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

SKYO wrote:Yup Gillis/Gilman just have to be patient, keep their offer on the table which is hopefully one that Doan likes (decent term/security, good pay, some reassurance he will be used in a important role on the team etc) plus is reasonable for the Canucks. Maybe give his wife/family some season box seats. :rockin:

LA has a lot to offer, Stanley Cup Champions and close to his family ranch in Arizona, 350 miles I'm thinking LA is the best fit
cheers
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Things ain't over until the fat lady sings. While city council may have ruled the petitions to have the Jamison deal put to referendum were out of time, there are still the outstanding issues raised by the Goldwater institute.

Originally Goldwater tried to stop city counsel from voting altogether on the issue before outstanding legal challenges concerning the sale of the Coyotes were settled and a Judge said no, the vote could go ahead, but left it open for further challenges after the vote. City council voted 4-2 for the Jamison deal.

Goldwater then filed a petition (the legal kind not the signature kind) alleging council violated disclosure provisions by failing to make public the two documents that put taxpayers on the hook for $425 mil. Those documents deal with arena management, annual budget etc. If Goldwater is successful then the matter would be referred back to council for another vote after the documents had been publicly disclosed (which would also extend the time for filing of the referendum petitions). Goldwater is also alleging that since public funds are being used, council by restricting the purchase of the Coyotes to Jamison have violated municipal tender provisions.

Out of pure selfishness it would be nice if the drama continued and the Canuck's ended up with Doan and the Coyotes were moved to Seattle or Canada, although it would be a slap in the face for loyal Phoenix hockey fans.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Fred wrote:
SKYO wrote:Yup Gillis/Gilman just have to be patient, keep their offer on the table which is hopefully one that Doan likes (decent term/security, good pay, some reassurance he will be used in a important role on the team etc) plus is reasonable for the Canucks. Maybe give his wife/family some season box seats. :rockin:
LA has a lot to offer, Stanley Cup Champions and close to his family ranch in Arizona, 350 miles I'm thinking LA is the best fit
But we have the ace in the hole - the wifey connection.

*Not to mention the possibility of playing with Hank the tank, giving him uber saucer passes left and right for Doan to get 35-40 goals per.
As the twins converted the 15-18 goal scorer Burrows into a 30 goal scorer, so getting Doan a perrenial 25 goal scorer to a 35-40 goal scorer isn't out the realm of possibilities.

Additionally we should really try to acquire Ellerby from the Panthers, a big young speedy defensive dman, who is also Doan's first cuz!
As the more family connection the better for the religious guy SD.
Last edited by SKYO on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hire catrina lemay as color analyst..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

rats19 wrote:Hire catrina lemay as color analyst..
If she was Shane's wife that might help,

but cousins (& their wives) aren't likely to have enough pull.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Crumbs is bread clem.. :thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think he just needs to get his head around the reality of the situation. Take a chance on a one year deal in the desert and then see, or break ties altogether.
Pretty sure I saw a quote in the last week from his agent saying that a 1-year deal with PHX is off the table.. has to be multi-year no matter what.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

rats19 wrote:Crumbs is bread clem.. :thumbs:
If optimism were a substitute for the rest of the bread loaf,

we'd have our cup already.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I can see Detroit winning the Doan derby. Judging from what they were willing to give Samuelsson, it's scary to think what they're willing to give Doan.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: my point was that T Linden was not close to the phyical beast that S Doan is. Linden was 195 pounds soaking wet on a 6 ft 4 frame.... He is a twig. Doan is 30 -4 0 pounds heavier and a fuck of a lot stronger and tougher than Linden ever was.
I think Linden was a bit heavier than 195 pounds in his prime. But Linden also entered the league in another era where there were less focus on weight training and nutritional science. But ya Linden is an avid cyclist while Doan is a farmer.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fred wrote: LA has a lot to offer, Stanley Cup Champions and close to his family ranch in Arizona, 350 miles I'm thinking LA is the best fit
Yeah, over 200 horses.

I'm wondering how this works.

If he signs with another team, Shane is going to either start spending more time away from his horses/family.

Or would he prefer to sell the ranch and and start a new one (Langley, Calgary??)

You don't move 200 horses do you?? (I really have no idea)

If he signed in LA, a family man like Shane is gonna wanna move the family to LA for half the year... isn't he?

... back to the ranch for the other half-year??

I'd like to hear Ratski's thoughts on all this.

It seems the REAL reason Shane doesn't wanna leave the Yotes is his ranch amirite? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

FAN wrote:I think Linden was a bit heavier than 195 pounds in his prime. But Linden also entered the league in another era where there were less focus on weight training and nutritional science. But ya Linden is an avid cyclist while Doan is a farmer.

What was it Linden said a couple of months ago. After the game was time for a few brews and for the dedicated athlete there was Light Beers :D
cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

surreal78 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I think he just needs to get his head around the reality of the situation. Take a chance on a one year deal in the desert and then see, or break ties altogether.
Pretty sure I saw a quote in the last week from his agent saying that a 1-year deal with PHX is off the table.. has to be multi-year no matter what.

You are correct. Doan and his agent have said all along a one year deal is not going to happen, he wants resolution for what may in all likelihood be his last contract. My point is if he really wants to stay then do the one year deal and see what unfolds. Or get his head around the idea that that isn't viable and sign somewhere.

As for the horses, he can keep the ranch and make it work until his contract is up no matter where he stays. Although front money is on staying in the West for that reason. Since he also wants to go to a contender I think LA and the Canucks are the best bets, in the West. I still don't see SJS being there and Calgary and Edmonton are not going to cut it either. I think LA is the front runner for a lot of reasons so as long as their dollars and term are in the ball park I think that is where he goes.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Well seeing as Selanne just signed a one year deal worth $4.5M, and he's 42 years old, I think Doan's cap hit is going to be in that ball park. It likely won't be more than that though as Selanne out-scored Doan this year by 4 goals and 16 points. Doan still has a few years left in the tank, no question, but his production is not the same as Selanne's and he's asking for longer term. I think age versus style of play and production will alnd him in the same range.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote: It seems the REAL reason Shane doesn't wanna leave the Yotes is his ranch amirite? :drink:
Seems like an simple solution to me.

Get rid of the horses.

What is our resident hunter doing theses days?

:drink: