Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Shane Doan

Postby SKYO » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:54 pm

And it's all over, now time to work on a trade for Luongo pending a new CBA.

Be funny if the Phoenix deal falls through, and they relocate to Quebec lol.
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Jovocop wrote:No more Shane Doan... :(

Canucks Misconduct‏@nucksmisconduct

RT @gambo620: Shane Doan has signed a 4-year $21.2 million contract with $2 million in bonus money to remain with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Farhan Lalji‏@FarhanLaljiTSN

From Sports 620 in Phx: Shane Doan has signed a 4-year $21.2 million contract with $2 million in bonus money to remain with the #Coyotes

what a dick
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby DonCherry4PM » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Predictable. He has said all along he wants to stay in Phoenix. Too bad as I would have loved him here but life goes on.

Speaking of Kane :D , I guess his failure to re-sign in Winnipeg may now cost him once the new CBA is in place.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby coco_canuck » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:05 pm

I'm not terribly upset we didn't sign a 36 year old to a 4 year contract worth close to $5M per year.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby DonCherry4PM » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Speaking of Kane :D , I guess his failure to re-sign in Winnipeg may now cost him once the new CBA is in place.

We can always hope his loss will be our gain... More unrealistic dreams on my part I guess.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:08 pm

coco_canuck wrote:I'm not terribly upset we didn't sign a 36 year old to a 4 year contract worth close to $5M per year.

I'm not terribly upset either. I would have loved him on the team but I won't lose any sleep over it. I never believed he would leave Phoenix in the first place, I mean he has said all along he wanted to stay there.

On the surface it looks like we lost out on every major player this summer but when breaking it down I'm not too upset at any of it.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby DonCherry4PM » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:09 pm

coco_canuck wrote:I'm not terribly upset we didn't sign a 36 year old to a 4 year contract worth close to $5M per year.

I thought offer was $6M? 5 would have been much more palatable in my mind. But either way, agreed, this isn't the greatest disappointment.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Postby Island Nucklehead » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:10 pm

+1. And doubly so if the Canucks offered him 24M/4 years.

Burrows @ 4.5 >> Doan @ 6
Island Nucklehead
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:51 pm

I am. Nice summer Gillis.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Oh well, @ least Gillis got Garrison I guess. Bit of an unknown and had 1 great year, hopefully he'll be a solid player for us for a few years.

RoyalDude wrote:We've been down this road before, ie Schultz and Webber. Nothing like always finishing 2nd, oh the glory in that. It will be 3 strikes for ol' Gillis this summer when we finally hear the Doan signing announcement.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mr.Miyagi » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:00 pm

I for one am quite satisfied with Gillis this offseason. Chasing Doan was exciting but like others have said I am not surprised we didn't land him. Personally I would rather have not signed him for the money that was being reported and what Phoenix ended up paying for him.

I like Doan but financially right now, and looking into the future it didn't make perfect sense for this team to sign him. Our prospect pool is slim and we have enough veterans IMO. By the time the NHl resumes all of our core players will have matured that much more.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Mr.Miyagi
CC Veteran

Postby wienerdog » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I for one am quite satisfied with Gillis this offseason. Chasing Doan was exciting but like others have said I am not surprised we didn't land him. Personally I would rather have not signed him for the money that was being reported and what Phoenix ended up paying for him.

I like Doan but financially right now, and looking into the future it didn't make perfect sense for this team to sign him. Our prospect pool is slim and we have enough veterans IMO. By the time the NHl resumes all of our core players will have matured that much more.

I'll reserve my judgment re: Gillis post-Luongo.

Not thrilled that we lost out on Doan, but wasn't thrilled at the prospect of the offer either.

This one was beyond Gillis' control, IMO. I'm more pissed about Schultz. They totally blew that one.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Boston Canucker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:34 pm

wienerdog wrote:
Mr.Miyagi wrote:....

This one was beyond Gillis' control, IMO. I'm more pissed about Schultz. They totally blew that one.

How did they blow it? By that I mean was there something they should have done that they didn't do to obtain him?
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby FAN » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:54 pm

wienerdog wrote:Not thrilled that we lost out on Doan, but wasn't thrilled at the prospect of the offer either.

That reflect my feelings as well. I was excited about the possibility of the Canucks adding Doan, but really wasn't sure about the offer and fit.

wienerdog wrote:This one was beyond Gillis' control, IMO. I'm more pissed about Schultz. They totally blew that one.

I don't understand how the Doan decision was beyond Gillis' control but Schultz's decision wasn't. With Doan, at least Gillis could adjust his offer to make it more attractive, and by virtue of offering 4 years and staying patient, Gillis made Vancouver a possible destination for Doan. With Schultz, there wasn't anything Gillis could do except make promises of playing time. It's hard to argue that Edmonton wasn't the best situation for Schultz if he wanted to make the NHL as soon as possible and be given prime offensive opportunities. What could Gillis have done to convince Schultz to sign here? The kid chose opportunity over being able to play in front of his parents.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat