Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Topper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:23 am

Does someone have a plunger, the Fan is clogged.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Potatoe1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:59 am

surreal78 wrote:
FAN wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:There were too many to count over at Central, but in the spirit of a new start, I ventured into another discussion with this poster, much to my regret obviously.

I was at Central when you first joined and you came in with the nice guy routine. I guess you've decided that you're now an established poster and can be a bully. Ah well. Some people are like that.

How's about we get back on track with the Doan discussion? I'm starting to think RD is actually more on topic than all of you combined.

I can pretty much guarantee that I've been through at least double the internet/pre-Internet/BBS flame wars all of you have participated in put together, but no one wants to hear about it. Same thing goes for bringing your CC baggage over here. It's old news and no one cares about your age-old beefs from a long-defunct site. It's irritating as hell (not capitalized for RD's pleasure) to see threads get completely derailed by the same crap on yet another site I'm trying to lurk quietly(-ish).

Stick to the topic, and please, for the sake of all of us casual observers, take your personal bullshit elsewhere... like Facebook, where you can critique each other less anonymously and your wives can give you shit about it. :)

Thanks for the lecture, hows the view way up on that horse?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 am

Actually a lot of people care....just not those that were not a part of It..like yourself , history is part of life..at the end.....that's all there is
Last edited by rats19 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby ESQ » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:54 am

Mondi wrote:If the Canucks sign Doan to 4 years and 30 million Strangelove, you can petition the mod to ban me. I won't object.

The point of the comparison, was to highlight the absurdity of what Shane Doan has been made out to be over the past 2 months.

This is a guy who has never put his team past the 1st round until his 16th season.

This is a guy who has never scored more than 31 goals in his entire career.

This is guy who is being mistaken for the second coming of Brendan Shanahan.

I suppose SL, as always, you're either king of hyperbole, or you just can't quite grasp it.

Doan is Messier, Sundin, and Demitra. He's done as an impact player and ought not to be paid like one well into his late 30s.
He's a 55 point player that wants to make 85 point cash.

Not good value.

Great points and I agree with them. But, I will say a team should always get the Messier, Sundin, Demitra player when it costs nothing but cap space. We don`t have the cap space for Doan at $7.5 million, probably not even at $6.5 million, so MG has to take a pass.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:42 pm

ESQ wrote:Great points and I agree with them. But, I will say a team should always get the Messier, Sundin, Demitra player when it costs nothing but cap space. We don`t have the cap space for Doan at $7.5 million, probably not even at $6.5 million, so MG has to take a pass.

ALL of them??

Please tell me you meant all EXCEPT FOR the comparison to Raymond! :D

I don't think GMMG would give Doan more that Sedins.

How would you feel about Doan at $6mil-per over 4 years?

Just curious....
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Doan, Sundin, Messier, Demitra and Raymond.

Ah shucks yeah, all peas from the same pod those five are.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Strangelove wrote:
ESQ wrote:Great points and I agree with them. But, I will say a team should always get the Messier, Sundin, Demitra player when it costs nothing but cap space. We don`t have the cap space for Doan at $7.5 million, probably not even at $6.5 million, so MG has to take a pass.

ALL of them??

Please tell me you meant all EXCEPT FOR the comparison to Raymond! :D

I don't think GMMG would give Doan more that Sedins.

How would you feel about Doan at $6mil-per over 4 years?

Just curious....

$6M for a 35 year old forward who posted a career best 31 goals in a season, and is actually a career 21.8 goal scorer (per season)? Is that really the question Doc?

Doan has a career average of 53.9 points per 82 game season.

Here is a comparable we can all relate to, Trevor Linden. Linden scored an average 51.4 points per 82 game season.

So would anyone have advocated paying Linden $6M a year at 35 years old? Granted, Linden's point totals declined more sharply into his mid-late 30's compared to Doan's so far, but Linden also was not the benefactor regular minutes with the team's top offensive players. Look at what Linden did in his last playoff appearance in 2007, he lead the team in points when he was seeing semi-regular minutes with the Sedins. I imagine that if one were to stick Doan out there on the 3rd or 4th line they would see that it would be nothing more than a 30 point guy who is now asking for $7.5M per year.

Even Burrows is producing at a 51.3 point per 82 game season pace since ending up on the top line with the Sedins.....and Burrows gets almost no powerplay time with the top unit, and often ends up missing shifts with them after killing penalties and being the odd man out when Vigneault feels the need to juggle the lines and slot someone else in with the Sedins in order to spark said struggling depth forward. Just a reminder, Burrows makes $2.2M and is all expectations are that he will likely look for no more than $5M in his next contract.

So is this the guy you are asking us about to the tune of $6M Doc?

I get that you aren't actually suggesting this as a good idea.....
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Doan--------------------Raymond

Human-------------------Human
Male----------------------Male
NHL Player--------------NHL Player
Western Conference---Western Conference
Forward-----------------Forward
Right Wing--------------Left Wing
Albertan-----------------Albertan

Okay so that's 7 out of 8

First 330 career games

Doan (Goals): 48
Raymond (Goals): 70
Doan (Assists): 65
Raymond (Assists): 86

Yeah Strangelove...epitome of absurdity.

Comparing Doan to Rory Fitzpatrick is a stretch...and the epitome of absurdity might be comparing Shane Doan to say...Hope Solo.

Just say no to Shane Doan.
Last edited by Mondi on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby coco_canuck » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:48 pm

FAN wrote:I was at Central when you first joined and you came in with the nice guy routine. I guess you've decided that you're now an established poster and can be a bully. Ah well. Some people are like that.

Wasn't aware I had to pander to your soft sensibilities.

Not so nice try with the analysis.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Tciso » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:29 pm

Bottom line is that when u compare Doan to other guys his age, and comparable skill, he should be looking at $4mil for a season, or maybe $7.5 for 2 seasons.

He and his agent are trying to milk the NHL (more power to them), but I can't see any team thinking that $30mil over 4 is a serious starting point on negotiations. $15 over 3 would have been at least reasonable, and not laughable.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby coco_canuck » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Tciso wrote:$15 over 3 would have been at least reasonable, and not laughable.

It's certainly reasonable, but it depends on other offers from teams high on his list. It's difficult to wade through the rumours to know what's true, but it looks like Doan wants a 4 year deal, and teams high on the list seem to be willing to go that far.

He won't get $30M, unless some team in the East loses its mind, which some teams have been prone to do, but I think number will end up being in the $23-25M range over 4 years.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Zamboni Driver » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:01 pm

FAN wrote:Articles I've read suggested that Doan is interested in term and money.

And that, in a nutshell, is why we don't need Shane Doan.
We need someone who is here to WIN and is willing to take a haircut to keep the team under the cap, and not some 35 year old vet who is just looking to cash in.

$7.5 mil per year over 4 years is just absurd overpayment for a 50 point winger.
Zamboni Driver
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Meds » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 am

Mondi wrote:Doan--------------------Raymond

Human-------------------Human
Male----------------------Male
NHL Player--------------NHL Player
Western Conference---Western Conference
Forward-----------------Forward
Right Wing--------------Left Wing
Albertan-----------------Albertan

Okay so that's 7 out of 8

First 330 career games

Doan (Goals): 48
Raymond (Goals): 70
Doan (Assists): 65
Raymond (Assists): 86

Yeah Strangelove...epitome of absurdity.

Comparing Doan to Rory Fitzpatrick is a stretch...and the epitome of absurdity might be comparing Shane Doan to say...Hope Solo.

Just say no to Shane Doan.

LMAO at the Rory Fitzpatrick comment. :lol:

As for your 330 game breakdown, that is unreal! Apart from their obvious differences in style and size they are quite comparable.....and Doan comes out wanting.

That being said I think that the physical edge that Doan brings makes him a more desirable player than Raymond.....but only if his salary and cap hit are under (or at) $4M.

Just for RD's sake I might just make a similar comparison of Doan to Booth. :roll:
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Rayxor » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:31 am

Potatoe1 wrote:
Thanks for the lecture, hows the view way up on that horse?

Rayxor
CC Veteran

Postby damonberryman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:25 pm

rats19 wrote:Actually a lot of people care....just not those that were not a part of It..like yourself , history is part of life..at the end.....that's all there is

And it is usually bullshit.

Do not give Doan the money. He is out of his freaking mind. He sold his load this last run for the Cup and gave it his all. Nice job by him but we will not see the same next year. Too many bangs on the bod and he should not be our highest paid player.

The craziness must be due to the upcoming agreement between players and owners. Weber took full advantage of it and although I do not judge him for it I find myself wanting to. No person who does not solve the ills of the world should be worth half what he got. Makes me sick to see this great game copy basketball. Now we have a bunch of entitled pukes thinking they really are worth it.

How about the Wild? If that was not planned before hand I will eat my skates. Clearly it was the goal from jump. DIrty bastards are ruining it all.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat