Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Shane Doan

Postby dbr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 am

FAN wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: But I am hearing he is exploring a multi year deal with Phoenix with a shot gun clause that allows him to ask for a trade should the team move.

Thanks HW. I always wonder about those "opt-out" clauses like the shot gun clause you mentioned. To the best of my knowledge, the CBA doesn't disallow these type of clauses per se, but I doubt those type of clauses are enforceable under the CBA. For example, a player generally can ask a team to trade him. It might be in the contract that a team, under the terms of their agreement, must accomodate such request, but what if a team fails to trade the player? A player can't get out of his contract because the CBA won't allow it. So how useful is the clause? Does it prevent say a team from suspending the player for not showing up? Would the CBA allow that?

There's no way it would allow the player out of their deal. In Luongo's contract if the team refuses (or fails) to trade him during his window in year five, the period in which he is compelled to waive his NTC for a list of teams in year seven is nullified.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Jovocop » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:38 am

CrzyCanuck wrote:I'm gonna be a negative nancy ala Dude fashion and say Doan will sign in LA for less than Vancouver's offer. :oops:

If Doan dislikes big cities, why would he choose LA over Vancouver?
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:31 am

LA is 5 hours drive from the Doan ranch
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:29 pm

RoyalDude wrote:You not worried about his age, Doc? Ya know, old man disease??? Sort of like the 3rd installment of a 'falling star phoning it in to cash in on his name and past glory with the Canucks as being the suckers, Sundin and Messier????

Sundin was pushing 38 when he joined the Canucks (though still put up a point-per-playoff-game)

.... plus don't forget his mentoring of Kesler. :wink:

Messier was a party animal (they tend to go into earlier decline).

Solid character Sundin never "phoned it in". Mess yes. Doan has character in spades..

The 2nd/3rd year(s) of a 3 year contract might not bring great value but I want a Cup in 2013.

Horse race: Phoenix first, LA second, both no doubt ahead of your Vancouver Canucks right now.

But don’t underestimate our nearness to Kamloops and Canucks Christian Culture Clubhouse. :thumbs:

I say get christian cousin Ellerby as part of the package for Lou and Shane choo choo chooses us!
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:01 pm

Fred wrote:LA is 5 hours drive from the Doan ranch

Would you spend 10 hours driving to and from work every day? Doan still has to move to LA, which is a big city.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Okay, let's say Doan decided to sign with another team and sell his ranch in Phoenix, start new ranch, new location.

Is it feasible to have a large horse ranch somewhere like Langley??

Seriously I have no idea.... anyone?

More likely up country?
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Strangelove wrote:Okay, let's say Doan decided to sign with another team and sell his ranch in Phoenix, start new ranch, new location.

More likely up country?

The Merritt/Cache Creek area is only 3 hours away......beats 5. :P

And big city argument is nonsense. Phoenix is huge.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Aaronp18 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Strangelove wrote:Okay, let's say Doan decided to sign with another team and sell his ranch in Phoenix, start new ranch, new location.

More likely up country?

http://www.highpointestates.ca/

:thumbs:

He can run the whole community!
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Jovocop wrote:

Would you spend 10 hours driving to and from work every day? Doan still has to move to LA, which is a big city.

No but the wife and family can drive up for the weekend. Doan isn't going to want to move his family ....school ... kids friends ...there's a lot to moving a family ...especally for a strong family man such as I understand Doan is Let's hope but don't get hung up on it
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Meds wrote:

More likely up country?

The Merritt/Cache Creek area is only 3 hours away......beats 5. :P

And big city argument is nonsense. Phoenix is huge.

I believe that being a big city has a little to do with the actual size of the city but more like the population.

Phoenix, 1,469,471
Metro Vancouver, 2,313,328
Los Angeles, 3,819,702
Last edited by Jovocop on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Aaronp18 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Fred wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

No but the wife and family can drive up for the weekend. Doan isn't going to want to move his family ....school ... kids friends ...there's a lot to moving a family ...especally for a strong family man such as I understand Doan is Let's hope but don't get hung up on it

The weekend that he's not in town because the team is on the road?

This is likely why he wants a 3-4 year deal if he's moving elsewhere, so that he and his family can move together and set up a new home. His wife's family is from Kamloops I believe, what's better than getting her a little closer to her family?

He can set up a new home in the Kamloops area for his horses and family and get a condo downtown for during the season. That's a three hour drive and the wife is happier!

Vancouver seems like a great choice for Shane and the family. Which is why he may just consider a bit less money to play out his career here.
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Uncle dans leg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:01 pm

When you clear 100k a week...you don't drive to clam-lips.
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Aaronp18 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:When you clear 100k a week...you don't drive to clam-lips.

No but the inlaws can.

:mrgreen:
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:06 pm

Personally if I had to choose between Phx and Kamloops, I'm thinking Phx wins & to be honest if I have to live else where I'd rather be in Malibu or similar. Why would you want to live in a place that rains the entire season when you could be sitting out on your patio having a cold one all year round ? Plus LA keeps all it's parts and have a good chnace to win the Cup again. Sunshine, realax, and win the cup versus. Rain, occassional snow and maybe a 60-70% chnace of the Cup. 8-)
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:40 am

Maybe he's ready to step up his cowboy-ness and try to weasel Chunky Woodwards old cattle ranch at Douglas Lake off of Avalanche owner Stan Kroenke...
It's dry like Arizona there, Canada's largest cattle ranch at over 200,000 hectares and even has it's own chapel I believe if memory serves me correct.
Come on Shane... are you a REAL bible thumpin' cowboy or not?!?!?
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat