Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Shane Doan

Postby rats19 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Lancer wrote:The report/rumour is out on dobber sportsblog here: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=136017

Not what I would do or wouldwish Gillis to do but the word is out there. Payday or Stanley Cup parade- which would you choose?

its not like you cant have both.....just not as big a payday, 5mill vs 6.5mill lots of money left on the table,,but its not one or the other its just more of one than the other...
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4386
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Shane Doan

Postby SKYO » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:19 pm

CFP! wrote:My offer, 2 yrs $5.5 cap hit. Structure it however you wish.


I can see MG doing something like that, Insiderr said Canucks put a two year $12 million dollar offer to Doan. :o
User avatar
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Lancer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:25 pm

SKYO wrote:
CFP! wrote:My offer, 2 yrs $5.5 cap hit. Structure it however you wish.


I can see MG doing something like that, Insiderr said Canucks put a two year $12 million dollar offer to Doan. :o


Methinks it will take a longer term contract to get Doan to sign, even if it meant $5.5 vice $6 million a year.

Anyone else think the CBA negotiations have put big name FA signings/trade negotiations into hibernation? I get the sense that there are a lot of people with a lot of teams figuring they have a whack of time to wait all this out.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1264
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Shane Doan

Postby SKYO » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Lancer wrote:Methinks it will take a longer term contract to get Doan to sign, even if it meant $5.5 vice $6 million a year.


Botch just said:
The Canucks are in on the Doan sweepstakes, having offered the power forward a competitive multi-year contract that is at least three years in length.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canuc ... z20vwtWfAB


Now it's 3 years! I'm guessing it's a 3 year $5M-$5.5M per contract.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby FAN » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:50 pm

SKYO wrote:Now it's 3 years! I'm guessing it's a 3 year $5M-$5.5M per contract.


I was thinking it would take a 3-4 year term. My guess is that the 35 and over multi-year contract rule where the cap hit remains even if the player retires will be gone with the new CBA. Just not a good rule for the elder statesmen in the league.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby CrzyCanuck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Hmmm a "competitive" offer.

Just hoping it will not be longer than 2 3
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:19 am

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Lancer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 pm

CrzyCanuck wrote:Hmmm a "competitive" offer.

Just hoping it will not be longer than 2 3


I think as long as they stay competitive with term and amount, Gillis should have a better shot than most of landing Doan on the virtue of what the organization offers in terms of chances to win and the locker room into which Doan would enter. I would be surprised if Doan just took the biggest deal at the end of the day.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1264
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Shane Doan

Postby CrzyCanuck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Just gotta say this year's market is the suck.

Who would have imagined teams would be trying to get a 35 year old Doan at 5+mill per for 3+ years?

Just tough for me to swallow down this harsh reality of the market this year.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:19 am

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:42 pm

CrzyCanuck wrote:Just gotta say this year's market is the suck.

Who would have imagined teams would be trying to get a 35 year old Doan at 5+mill per for 3+ years?

Just tough for me to swallow down this harsh reality of the market this year.


Truth re suckage, but from a Nuck point of view landing 2 of the 4/5 biggest fish available would be lovely.

After Suter and Parise, comes Doan, Garrison, and.... Semin??

... followed by I dunno, Carle/Jagr/Whitney??

Gillis did well in landing Garrison given the competition, if he manages to land Doan as well

.... well he'll be getting 2 huge thumbs up from Strangelove. :thumbs:

Strangelove: The Peoples Poster
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 5906
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Strangelove wrote:
CrzyCanuck wrote:Just gotta say this year's market is the suck.

Who would have imagined teams would be trying to get a 35 year old Doan at 5+mill per for 3+ years?

Just tough for me to swallow down this harsh reality of the market this year.


Truth re suckage, but from a Nuck point of view landing 2 of the 4/5 biggest fish available would be lovely.

After Suter and Parise, comes Doan, Garrison, and.... Semin??

... followed by I dunno, Carle/Jagr/Whitney??

Gillis did well in landing Garrison given the competition, if he manages to land Doan as well

.... well he'll be getting 2 huge thumbs up from Strangelove. :thumbs:


You not worried about his age, Doc? Ya know, old man disease??? Sort of like the 3rd installment of a 'falling star phoning it in to cash in on his name and past glory with the Canucks as being the suckers, Sundin and Messier????
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Shane Doan

Postby FAN » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm

CrzyCanuck wrote:Just gotta say this year's market is the suck.

Who would have imagined teams would be trying to get a 35 year old Doan at 5+mill per for 3+ years?

Just tough for me to swallow down this harsh reality of the market this year.


Yep. It's a pretty bad market, Doan will actually be 36 by opening day. I am not surprised teams are offering what he is rumored to have been offered (except the 4 year $30M rumored offer). Doan is one of those rare players: big, strong, physical, skilled, consistently productive, good defensively, and is a warrior, leader, and can both centre and wing. I guess a better way of looking at it is that if Doan has another healthy year with 20+ goal 50+ point + solid playoffs, he could have received a 2 year contract next year and not too many would have batted an eye over the length. So a 3 year contract isn't too bad, abeit it comes with some risk. It's a risk, but it would be a coup if Gillis manages to land Doan.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby CFP! » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Lancer wrote:
SKYO wrote:
CFP! wrote:My offer, 2 yrs $5.5 cap hit. Structure it however you wish.


I can see MG doing something like that, Insiderr said Canucks put a two year $12 million dollar offer to Doan. :o


Methinks it will take a longer term contract to get Doan to sign, even if it meant $5.5 vice $6 million a year.

Anyone else think the CBA negotiations have put big name FA signings/trade negotiations into hibernation? I get the sense that there are a lot of people with a lot of teams figuring they have a whack of time to wait all this out.


Well if the Minnesota Wild new contracts have anything to do with this I dont know.....

Guaranteed money - aka signing bonuses is what I was alluding to in my post. If you give Doan an $8 mil signing bonus and then $1.5 mil for two years if there is a lock out he still gets that money upfront.

My be enticing, ala the Wild.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:08 am

Money won't be the motivating factor. Now all things being equal he will take the best deal but all things must be equal.

1) he prefers to stay in the West
2) the closer to Phoenix the better
3) wants to raise his kids in an environment similar to what he had growing up and is not a fan of raising the kiddies in a big city
4) Team make up will be important, culture, attitude, character.
5) Team must be a contender.

If he has offers from several clubs and all things being equal I can see him taking the big dollars and longer term. But I can't see him do so unless his priorities are met. I liked the Penguins rumour. Who wouldn't want to play with Crosby and Malkin, other than staal? But do they have the other ingredients that he will be looking for. A contender yes. Good team culture and character, yes. But location may be a determent. Buffalo, forget about it. They are not a contender and may be too far east for his liking. Detroit is intriguing. Great organization and team culture. A contender. But it is a city he wants to take his family too?

I'm hearing he is just not ready to take Phoenix off the table and has meetings scheduled with the new owner. They have offered him a one year deal but it is a no go. His reluctance obviously with a multi year deal is that the team could be moved, But I am hearing he is exploring a multi year deal with Phoenix with a shot gun clause that allows him to ask for a trade should the team move. No idea how the negotiations are going. Also hearing he likes Vancouver's offer, whatever it was and would seriously consider playing here. But he also really likes LA although they are not offering the same money and term at this point. SJS have location which is favourable but I'm not sure they are as much of a contender at this point although they could be with him.

Alberta teams are intriguing as he could have the big sky country and a nice horse ranch. But again they are not contenders.

My take;If he can't work out a deal with the Desert Dogs he will stay in the West and it will be either LA or Vancouver.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2940
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby FAN » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:08 am

Hockey Widow wrote: But I am hearing he is exploring a multi year deal with Phoenix with a shot gun clause that allows him to ask for a trade should the team move.


Thanks HW. I always wonder about those "opt-out" clauses like the shot gun clause you mentioned. To the best of my knowledge, the CBA doesn't disallow these type of clauses per se, but I doubt those type of clauses are enforceable under the CBA. For example, a player generally can ask a team to trade him. It might be in the contract that a team, under the terms of their agreement, must accomodate such request, but what if a team fails to trade the player? A player can't get out of his contract because the CBA won't allow it. So how useful is the clause? Does it prevent say a team from suspending the player for not showing up? Would the CBA allow that?
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Postby CrzyCanuck » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 am

I'm gonna be a negative nancy ala Dude fashion and say Doan will sign in LA for less than Vancouver's offer. :oops:
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:19 am

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dbr and 2 guests