Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Shane Doan

Post by donlever »

Mondi wrote:
I was making a general point about how the weather here is not that bad and people endlessly whine about it, when the place is pretty darn good overall.
Agreed.

That's why I'm still here.

I can see leaving (due to things moving in directions I personally do not like) 10 years hence however.

None of them would be weather related generally speaking.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I apologise to people that are offended that I whine about the weather.
Fukin Tri-Cities whiny ass muthafucka.

8-)
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote:Drivers suck? Subjective opinion. Which may have some merit.

Drug problem? Subjective opinion, statistics indicate a decline on the DTES since 2008. See DCC interim report.

Homelessness? Problem of political will, not something typical to Vancouver (save for the mild climate)

Crime? Actually decreasing, even on the DTES since 2008. See DCC interim report.

Engineering and roadwork? I'll concede that one.

Gas prices? Oil Cartels coupled with Translink and BC government are to blame, nothing particularly unique to Vancouver

Translink...would you prefer private and competing bus companies?

Hydro? Nothing to do with Vancouver.

How long until Strangelove...
... mentions the immigrant problem? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:LMAO @ people who carve a guy for not wanting to uproot his family and drag them halfway across a continent .

What an asshole he is . Fucking prick cares more about his own family than a city where it pisses rain 9 months a year .
If thats true then why didn't he just sign w/ Phoenix from the get-go? Why the UFA dinner tour?

Oh, he wanted to wait and make sure that Jamison's deal went through? Right. So then, why did he sign w/ Phoenix before the CBA expired?

Oh, he wanted to get his contract in before the new rules apply. An here I thought it wasn't money that was important to him, it was family and not uprooting his family?

For all he knows, the Jamison deal falls through, the NHL is locked out all season and the Coyotes get sold to Quebec.

Circular logic on the part of the Doan camp in alot of ways....if all the reasons why he signed w/ the Coyotes are true then wouldn't it have made more sense for him to wait until the sale of the Coyotes was finalized (regardless of the CBA because it wasn't for the money right)?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ClamRussel wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:LMAO @ people who carve a guy for not wanting to uproot his family and drag them halfway across a continent .

What an asshole he is . Fucking prick cares more about his own family than a city where it pisses rain 9 months a year .
If thats true then why didn't he just sign w/ Phoenix from the get-go? Why the UFA dinner tour?

Oh, he wanted to wait and make sure that Jamison's deal went through? Right. So then, why did he sign w/ Phoenix before the CBA expired?

Oh, he wanted to get his contract in before the new rules apply. An here I thought it wasn't money that was important to him, it was family and not uprooting his family?

For all he knows, the Jamison deal falls through, the NHL is locked out all season and the Coyotes get sold to Quebec.

Circular logic on the part of the Doan camp in alot of ways....if all the reasons why he signed w/ the Coyotes are true then wouldn't it have made more sense for him to wait until the sale of the Coyotes was finalized (regardless of the CBA because it wasn't for the money right)?

Who said it wasn't for the money ?

He wanted 4 years at big money and he wanted it before the CBA expired.

He also preferred to stay in Phoenix.

Nothing wrong with what Doan did.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

donlever wrote:-Translink and Hydro are monopolies run by thieves the mafia would be proud of
BC Liberals and their ilk, yep.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Mondi wrote:Drivers suck? Subjective opinion. Which may have some merit.

Drug problem? Subjective opinion, statistics indicate a decline on the DTES since 2008. See DCC interim report.
See an optometrist.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

Who said it wasn't for the money ?

He wanted 4 years at big money and he wanted it before the CBA expired.

He also preferred to stay in Phoenix.

Nothing wrong with what Doan did.
It was pretty widely reported it wasn't the money...if it was he would have taken that $30 million offer, no? I believe his agent said it wasn't abo the money (we all know what that means - for some its the only consideration).

There's nothing "wrong" per se about what Doan did, but if it was to stay in Phoenix then he should have waited, no? He now could be looking at a roll back so why not sign the deal afterwards anyways?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'll be doing back flips til kingdom come if the Jamison deal falls through and Phoenix ends up moving to the hockey hotbed of Kansas City. Then again, Cowboy Doan would probably welcome the move.

I don't know why people are up in arms about Doan, I'm as glad as all hell he didn't sign here. Too fucking old and too expensive.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ClamRussel wrote: It was pretty widely reported it wasn't the money...if it was he would have taken that $30 million offer, no? I believe his agent said it wasn't abo the money (we all know what that means - for some its the only consideration).

There's nothing "wrong" per se about what Doan did, but if it was to stay in Phoenix then he should have waited, no? He now could be looking at a roll back so why not sign the deal afterwards anyways?
The difference between what Phoenix and Vancouver offered was negligible.

So he took Phoenix and rolled the dice on the new (potential) owners word being true.

Again, nothing at all wrong with what he did. In fact he should be commended for wanting to stay with the team he has been with most of his career.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote:I'll be doing back flips til kingdom come if the Jamison deal falls through and Phoenix ends up moving to Kansas City.
That would make me pretty damned happy! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, good point. The Cali teams have won a couple of cups and Tampa won one a few years back. Canucks are supposed to be a top contender with back to back president trophies, but it doesn't mean much without a Stanley Cup under their belts. The Canucks came awefully close a couple years ago and should be a contender still; it can be argued they have better odds than most of the Cali teams and better odds than the Florida teams. Not sure if the Nucks addressed anything that can help them over L.A. though.

I think something can be said about playing in a hockey market too. In Vancouver, a Canuck player is basically a rockstar. If a player gets spotted, ppl would ask them for an autograph or photo. In those warm American markets, if a player is spotted most ppl wouldn't care. I don't know, depends on the person I guess. Some guys like the limelight and some guys like to be low key. But I know if I was a hockey player and luved the game, I'd want to play in a hockey market for a few years in my career where the game is basically religion.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Last time I checked the Cali teams had won cups recently and the Florida teams were loaded with young talent.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: It was pretty widely reported it wasn't the money...if it was he would have taken that $30 million offer, no? I believe his agent said it wasn't abo the money (we all know what that means - for some its the only consideration).

The difference between what Phoenix and Vancouver offered was negligible.

So he took Phoenix and rolled the dice on the new (potential) owners word being true.

Again, nothing at all wrong with what he did. In fact he should be commended for wanting to stay with the team he has been with most of his career.
I'm with you there, but contrary to what the sports media had been reporting, its far from over. For one thing, Jamison doesn't have the capital, he's had to finance it and most importantly its contingent on Glendale bankrolling the losses. Thats something the incoming mayor candidates are not in favour of to say nothing of the taxpayers and the Gold Water Institute. Even if does have the money secured it could be shot down and they'd be on the move. Now that there's a lockout there is more time for Jamison to work this thing out but it also opens a window for another owner to purchase the team and move it.

All I'm saying, is why not wait then? Doan could have let the dust settle w/ Jamison then still signed. If it fell through he'd still be free to chose his team (we all know Gillis would have been patiently waiting). Now he's subject to salary rollback...if he'd waited he'd probably have received the same numbers anyways. Waiting is fine, signing at the 11th hour doesn't make any sense considering the uncertainty he's thrown himself into.

The loyalty certainly should be commended, but lets see where it gets him in the end. There may be a twist coming his way just yet.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:I'll be doing back flips til kingdom come if the Jamison deal falls through and Phoenix ends up moving to the hockey hotbed of Kansas City. Then again, Cowboy Doan would probably welcome the move.

I don't know why people are up in arms about Doan, I'm as glad as all hell he didn't sign here. Too fucking old and too expensive.
Well what do we have without him? Do you not think he could have added a missing element? The price takes comes w/ the UFA status and the fact it wouldn't cost us any assets in return. Where is that $5mill going to be spent now? Most likely substandard make up parts. I sure as hell would rather have Doan here than alot of players. He brings experience, he brings toughness and he still has a bit of offence in him. He's not perfect but whats the alternative? We'll see how the Luongo deal pans out but it doesn't look too optimistic so far. Slim pickings otherwise.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ClamRussel wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I'll be doing back flips til kingdom come if the Jamison deal falls through and Phoenix ends up moving to the hockey hotbed of Kansas City. Then again, Cowboy Doan would probably welcome the move.

Well what do we have without him? Do you not think he could have added a missing element? The price takes comes w/ the UFA status and the fact it wouldn't cost us any assets in return. Where is that $5mill going to be spent now? Most likely substandard make up parts. I sure as hell would rather have Doan here than alot of players. He brings experience, he brings toughness and he still has a bit of offence in him. He's not perfect but whats the alternative? We'll see how the Luongo deal pans out but it doesn't look too optimistic so far. Slim pickings otherwise.
dude probably believes that the team should be built around Milan Gajic, Michael Grabner and Rene Vydarney
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”