Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Shane Doan

Post by ClamRussel »

FAN wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Obviously a young high end defenceman would be a priority in a Luongo deal if Edler was dealt. I'd say that falls under the phrase common sense.
And you think a high end defenseman that has an upside remotely comparable to Edler's is possible in a deal for Luongo? The only deal I can think of as a possibility is if Toronto is willing to part with Reilly. Other than that? :mex:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: He has the tools to be a top 5 or 6 d -man in the league but he is a very inconsistent player. I would probably choose about 20 d -men in the league to build around before I picked Edler.
Yes, but how many of those 20 guys you would pick over Edler are available or could be made available in a deal for Kane? How many of the available guys are over 30 or ready to log 20+ minutes and produce 40+ points? I just don't see how there can be a dozen teams that can match the package of Edler, Jensen, and a 1st if Gillis is willing to offer that as Edler is a real nice center piece (with the exception of his expiring contract).
The way I see it, its Doan that is holding up alot of these other deals. If he does sign w/ the Canucks that changes everything. THEN Lu can be dealt for the future, in fact...its a no-brainer due to the cap. If he goes to Florida it will have to include one of their top center prospects...plus other youth/picks (perhaps the Canucks sweeten the pot)...or if he goes to TO it most certainly will need to include Reilly plus a 1st. The cost of a top 5 goaltender will not come cheap...esp w/ Burke's history of poking the Canucks/Gillis....why would MG do him a favour? ....guarantee TO makes the playoffs where anything can happen. If Gillis has to "give" Lu away (less than market value) it will be to Florida....anywhere but TO. The other scenario certainly is a 3-way deal w/ Lu going to either Flo or TO, Kane coming to Van and prospects/picks going to Wpg. Perhaps that makes the most sense of all possibilities. Nevertheless, nothing happens until Doan makes a decision....because if he does remain in the desert then that changes everything in terms of what Van will want in return in any deal.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

From TSN;

It appears the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes may be moving closer to being finalized.

According to a report on ESPN.com, the former president and CEO of the San Jose Sharks Greg Jamison has set up financing that would allow him to complete the sale of the Coyotes from the NHL for $170 million.

Jamison's investors include members of the Ice Edge Group, who at one point attempted to purchase the team during the three-year period where they have been under the NHL's control.

The report also indicates that any issues surrounding the lease agreement of Jobing.com Arena are expected to be resolved before the end of September.

The NHL has run the team since buying them out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2009.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

ClamRussel wrote: The way I see it, its Doan that is holding up alot of these other deals. If he does sign w/ the Canucks that changes everything. THEN Lu can be dealt for the future, in fact...its a no-brainer due to the cap.
+1 I'm actually really hoping that Luongo gets traded for futures since I think that will likely end up being the best deal in the long run and allows the Canucks to restock. I like your analysis of the Florida vs Toronto situation. Kind of predict what will happen. If Tallon doesn't believe in his goaltending he'll go out and get the goaltender that he wants, but my feeling is that since the Panthers have Markstrom, Tallon likely won't make a push until his draft picks are ready to carry the team.. Burke is harder to predict. The guy will overpay for a goaltender but he's a bit slow in figuring out that his goalies won't get his team anywhere.

It's been reported (or is it rumored) that the Canucks, along with several other teams, are offering Doan 4 years at $24M, which puts up just below the Sedins. Do you guys still want him signed at that price?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

FAN wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: The way I see it, its Doan that is holding up alot of these other deals. If he does sign w/ the Canucks that changes everything. THEN Lu can be dealt for the future, in fact...its a no-brainer due to the cap.
+1 I'm actually really hoping that Luongo gets traded for futures since I think that will likely end up being the best deal in the long run and allows the Canucks to restock. I like your analysis of the Florida vs Toronto situation. Kind of predict what will happen. If Tallon doesn't believe in his goaltending he'll go out and get the goaltender that he wants, but my feeling is that since the Panthers have Markstrom, Tallon likely won't make a push until his draft picks are ready to carry the team.. Burke is harder to predict. The guy will overpay for a goaltender but he's a bit slow in figuring out that his goalies won't get his team anywhere.

It's been reported (or is it rumored) that the Canucks, along with several other teams, are offering Doan 4 years at $24M, which puts up just below the Sedins. Do you guys still want him signed at that price?
With a predicted cap roll back it is hard to imagine Doan at that price. For sure Luongo would be moved and we would not want salary back. Of course it is too soon to know what the roll back will be and if it will be accompanied by salary roll backs as well to off set it.

Looking at the Canucks current cap hit and anticipating a roll back I cannot see Doan on this team for that cap and term. Not with both Burrows and Edler due for increases next year. Even if the new CBA offers a buy out period there really are not many players on the team that one would want to buy out, if we land Doan then perhaps Raymond. Some may say Ballard but without a replacement that leaves us very thin on the back end.

I want Doan but with the CBA still up in the air I'm not so sure he is the gamble I'd take until I know exactly what the landscape looks like.
The only HW the Canucks need
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I want Doan but with the CBA still up in the air I'm not so sure he is the gamble I'd take until I know exactly what the landscape looks like.
and thats what about 24 other teams are saying about Luongo.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Hockey Widow wrote: With a predicted cap roll back it is hard to imagine Doan at that price. For sure Luongo would be moved and we would not want salary back. Of course it is too soon to know what the roll back will be and if it will be accompanied by salary roll backs as well to off set it.

Looking at the Canucks current cap hit and anticipating a roll back I cannot see Doan on this team for that cap and term. Not with both Burrows and Edler due for increases next year. Even if the new CBA offers a buy out period there really are not many players on the team that one would want to buy out, if we land Doan then perhaps Raymond. Some may say Ballard but without a replacement that leaves us very thin on the back end.

The team could move Booth if Doan signs though. Booth's contract isn't great, but he should be attractive to some teams looking for cost certainty and a speedy, hard-working 20+ goal scorer. By signing Doan, and assuming he can provide what the team needs, the Canucks can afford to move guys like Booth without much impact to the lineup.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

FAN wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: With a predicted cap roll back it is hard to imagine Doan at that price. For sure Luongo would be moved and we would not want salary back. Of course it is too soon to know what the roll back will be and if it will be accompanied by salary roll backs as well to off set it.

The team could move Booth if Doan signs though. Booth's contract isn't great, but he should be attractive to some teams looking for cost certainty and a speedy, hard-working 20+ goal scorer. By signing Doan, and assuming he can provide what the team needs, the Canucks can afford to move guys like Booth without much impact to the lineup.
Who the fuck out there in the NHL GM Landscape is dumber than Gillis to take on that ridiculous contract on the verge of a new CBA?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I dont see why we would move a speedy, hard-working 20+ goal scorer......for an aging but still speedy, hard-working 20+ goal scorer...for 3million more...is a little more grit worth 3mill...not to me!!
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Wants this done and over with. Want Jamison as owner. Feels Jamison is world class. Think the world of Jamison, Maloney, Tippett, Smith and our blueline. Thinks we have all the pieces to be a staple franchise. Is hugely excited and optimistic about everything from ownership, management, coaching and roster (especially from the goal out).

He will be signed by the end of September 14th (next Friday). He was emphatic about that. There is no doubt.

He has a contract worked out with Phoenix. He will sign it once Jamison buys the team.

Jamison has the money to buy the team in escrow. Jamison has the NHL approval. Doan said that both Bettman and Jamison are ready to go but CoG is holding up the deal because they want to rework the lease. Doan believes NHL and JiG have done all they can do and the ball is squarely in the court of the city.

Considering the money is in escrow and the bog had given preliminary approval and that cog isn't looking to make huge changes, Doan is very optimistic that the deal could close any day now. He said it could already be done for all he knows.

He's got a ton of faith in Jamison and the entire organization. He has no desire to leave. If he can't sign here on the 14th he will absolutely sign elsewhere.
~RT - hfb
Looks like its a done deal, now MG can deal RL. Image
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Guess it's over but for the signing. At least it's over and the trade markets can begin again in earnest. Frankly, if it doesn't get done before 15 Sept we may as well wait until the new CBA. Hate that it dragged on as long as it did, but can't fault Doan for wanting to stick with Phoenix and wait for the ownership deal to get done.

Now on to the Luongo watch... :?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote:Oh Shane Doan is staying Phoenix? ...DON'T CARE!

Thank god we didn't waste money and cap space on this overrated and aging power forward.

Enjoy the sun Shane, and the losing!

The rest of the NHL, particularly the owners can go fuck themselves. :twisted:
:look:

tick... tick... tick....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I give Doan a lot of credit. He has never once bailed on Phoenix. He has been patient, waiting as long as he could so he could get a deal in place in a city he loves. So many other players would have cut and run by now but Doan has held on even though it may cost him in the end. I can't see Phoenix offering up the same type of money some other teams have but they may offer the term to give him his retirement contract. He has been all class throughout this and as much as I'd love him on the Canucks I will be happy for him if it works out in Phoenix, he defines loyalty!

He really has n choice but to sign somewhere by the 24th because there will be no CBA after that date so his future would be even more up in the air. I hope the BoG gets it together and the City of Phoenix does what it needs to do and I hope this gets done.

I am still pessimistic that a team in Phoenix will be a good thing for the long term but I highly believe in the short term Bettman will not let the team leave. He has a personal vested interest in this thing now and he would rather have 2-3 years of a losing franchise than admit he was wrong. But long term I just can't see it being profitable and you have got to believe that Jamieson has a back room agreement that he can move the team in X number of years if certain financial markers are not met.
The only HW the Canucks need
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

24 months and the Coyotes will be rolling down bankruptcy highway...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Heard Doan pretty much has a done deal to stay Phoenix, he's just waiting for the sale to go through. Oh well.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Heard Doan pretty much has a done deal to stay Phoenix, he's just waiting for the sale to go through. Oh well.
Pretty much what we expected. Doan did meet with Jamieson so it's not a surprise they pretty have a contract drawn up just waiting to be signed.

Ah well. 4 years at $24M isn't exactly a comfortable contract so it's no big loss.
RoyalDude wrote: Who the fuck out there in the NHL GM Landscape is dumber than Gillis to take on that ridiculous contract on the verge of a new CBA?
Well they could wait for the new CBA. :lol: Booth has proven to be concussion-free for two seasons now. Doesn't mean we'll get more than a 2nd round pick for him, but someone would want him.
rats19 wrote:I dont see why we would move a speedy, hard-working 20+ goal scorer......for an aging but still speedy, hard-working 20+ goal scorer...for 3million more...is a little more grit worth 3mill...not to me!!
Well, first of all, you wouldn't be moving Booth for Doan. You'll be signing Doan and moving Booth for some sort of asset (you upgrade AND get an asset back). Second of all,if the Canucks have in fact offered Doan 4 years at $24M, his cap hit will only be $1.75M more than Booth.