Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: The point of the comparison, was to highlight the absurdity of what Shane Doan has been made out to be over the past 2 months.
Actually the comparison itself was the epitome of absurdity.

It's perfectly fine to hold the opinion that Doan isn't worth the kind of years/dollars being talked about.

But it is positively undeniably moronic to raise a Raymond-Doan comparison.

That is all.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

dbr wrote:I might give Doan $30m (of someone else's money) over four years if I could structure it 14, 10, 4, 2 with the right to trade him to the Phoenix Coyotes at any time and any team from a list of five to seven of his choosing after the first season. Load the first two years of the deal with signing bonuses so that a year from now there's three seasons and about $9m remaining.

I like this structuring if it's possible. Two quality years and then a trade if he isn't keeping up.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Good luck resigning anyone for less than market value when you start overpaying like that.
I agree with the sentiment on Doan, but I don't agree that overpaying a free agent impacts re-signing at all. Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, and Hansen were all signed after the Canucks paid Sundin $10 million (pro-rated) for 28 points in the regular season and 8 points in the post-season.

The problem isn't that Doan isn't the player we want, he just doesn't fit with that contract. And frankly, he's just not worth gutting the team to fit him under the cap.

He's looking for the biggest contract of his career at 35, and he just might get it, but not from the Canucks.
alexBF
AHL Prospect

Post by alexBF »

The idea of $30mill over 4 years makes Jagr's 4.5mill 1 year deal seem like a steal.

I would have loved to have Jagr at 4.5mill
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The better comparable in Vancouver's lineup is Alex Burrows.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Potatoe1 wrote: I have been watching Doan since Jr, And his skating has never been a strength. There were questions about his skating when he was drafted, and questions about his ability to keep up on the big ice at the 2010 Olympics, which were a big reason he wasn't selected (despite always playing at the worlds almost every year).
Sure Pot. The ice was so big at the 2010 Olympics :roll: that there were concerns that Doan couldn't keep up.

Potatoe1 wrote: Hey how about for the sake of my sanity you resist the urge to respond to everything I write.
Have you considered that the reason I respond to what you wrote is because you quote and respond to everything I write even when my post was simply a subjective IMO-type disagreement? You would even respond when I agreed with your points but disagreed with a single thing you said. It's like you can't stand to be disagreed with.

And you know this is a discussion board. If you want to write something and not having someone comment and or question it, then go and write a blog and turn comments off. ;)
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

coco_canuck wrote: My sanity is fine btw, but I'm tired of the pointless debate after pointless debate with said poster.
You know it's not called a pointless debate when you completely miss the point and argument and continue to debate. :roll:

coco_canuck wrote:There were too many to count over at Central, but in the spirit of a new start, I ventured into another discussion with this poster, much to my regret obviously.
I was at Central when you first joined and you came in with the nice guy routine. I guess you've decided that you're now an established poster and can be a bully. Ah well. Some people are like that.

coco_canuck wrote: IMO, even if MG is going to overpay and give Doan some term, there's absolutely no way MG offers Doan as much as the Sedins make, let alone more.
Articles I've read suggested that Doan is interested in term and money. Globe and Mail reported that Doan is looking for 4 years at $30M. So it looks Doan is interested in the biggest total package not interested in a 1-2 year deal even if it pays him $10M a year. So I don't think Doan is even looking for Sedin money. His interested in the total money package and Doan probably feels that signing a 1-2 year deal won't get Doan the $30M he seeks over the course of the next 4 years.
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

FAN wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:There were too many to count over at Central, but in the spirit of a new start, I ventured into another discussion with this poster, much to my regret obviously.
I was at Central when you first joined and you came in with the nice guy routine. I guess you've decided that you're now an established poster and can be a bully. Ah well. Some people are like that.
How's about we get back on track with the Doan discussion? I'm starting to think RD is actually more on topic than all of you combined.

I can pretty much guarantee that I've been through at least double the internet/pre-Internet/BBS flame wars all of you have participated in put together, but no one wants to hear about it. Same thing goes for bringing your CC baggage over here. It's old news and no one cares about your age-old beefs from a long-defunct site. It's irritating as hell (not capitalized for RD's pleasure) to see threads get completely derailed by the same crap on yet another site I'm trying to lurk quietly(-ish).

Stick to the topic, and please, for the sake of all of us casual observers, take your personal bullshit elsewhere... like Facebook, where you can critique each other less anonymously and your wives can give you shit about it. :)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Does someone have a plunger, the Fan is clogged.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

surreal78 wrote:
FAN wrote:
How's about we get back on track with the Doan discussion? I'm starting to think RD is actually more on topic than all of you combined.

I can pretty much guarantee that I've been through at least double the internet/pre-Internet/BBS flame wars all of you have participated in put together, but no one wants to hear about it. Same thing goes for bringing your CC baggage over here. It's old news and no one cares about your age-old beefs from a long-defunct site. It's irritating as hell (not capitalized for RD's pleasure) to see threads get completely derailed by the same crap on yet another site I'm trying to lurk quietly(-ish).

Stick to the topic, and please, for the sake of all of us casual observers, take your personal bullshit elsewhere... like Facebook, where you can critique each other less anonymously and your wives can give you shit about it. :)
Thanks for the lecture, hows the view way up on that horse?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Actually a lot of people care....just not those that were not a part of It..like yourself , history is part of life..at the end.....that's all there is
Last edited by rats19 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mondi wrote:If the Canucks sign Doan to 4 years and 30 million Strangelove, you can petition the mod to ban me. I won't object.

The point of the comparison, was to highlight the absurdity of what Shane Doan has been made out to be over the past 2 months.

This is a guy who has never put his team past the 1st round until his 16th season.

This is a guy who has never scored more than 31 goals in his entire career.

This is guy who is being mistaken for the second coming of Brendan Shanahan.

I suppose SL, as always, you're either king of hyperbole, or you just can't quite grasp it.

Doan is Messier, Sundin, and Demitra. He's done as an impact player and ought not to be paid like one well into his late 30s.
He's a 55 point player that wants to make 85 point cash.

Not good value.
Great points and I agree with them. But, I will say a team should always get the Messier, Sundin, Demitra player when it costs nothing but cap space. We don`t have the cap space for Doan at $7.5 million, probably not even at $6.5 million, so MG has to take a pass.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Great points and I agree with them. But, I will say a team should always get the Messier, Sundin, Demitra player when it costs nothing but cap space. We don`t have the cap space for Doan at $7.5 million, probably not even at $6.5 million, so MG has to take a pass.
ALL of them??

Please tell me you meant all EXCEPT FOR the comparison to Raymond! :D

I don't think GMMG would give Doan more that Sedins.

How would you feel about Doan at $6mil-per over 4 years?

Just curious....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Doan, Sundin, Messier, Demitra and Raymond.

Ah shucks yeah, all peas from the same pod those five are.

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
ESQ wrote: Great points and I agree with them. But, I will say a team should always get the Messier, Sundin, Demitra player when it costs nothing but cap space. We don`t have the cap space for Doan at $7.5 million, probably not even at $6.5 million, so MG has to take a pass.
ALL of them??

Please tell me you meant all EXCEPT FOR the comparison to Raymond! :D

I don't think GMMG would give Doan more that Sedins.

How would you feel about Doan at $6mil-per over 4 years?

Just curious....
$6M for a 35 year old forward who posted a career best 31 goals in a season, and is actually a career 21.8 goal scorer (per season)? Is that really the question Doc?

Doan has a career average of 53.9 points per 82 game season.

Here is a comparable we can all relate to, Trevor Linden. Linden scored an average 51.4 points per 82 game season.

So would anyone have advocated paying Linden $6M a year at 35 years old? Granted, Linden's point totals declined more sharply into his mid-late 30's compared to Doan's so far, but Linden also was not the benefactor regular minutes with the team's top offensive players. Look at what Linden did in his last playoff appearance in 2007, he lead the team in points when he was seeing semi-regular minutes with the Sedins. I imagine that if one were to stick Doan out there on the 3rd or 4th line they would see that it would be nothing more than a 30 point guy who is now asking for $7.5M per year.

Even Burrows is producing at a 51.3 point per 82 game season pace since ending up on the top line with the Sedins.....and Burrows gets almost no powerplay time with the top unit, and often ends up missing shifts with them after killing penalties and being the odd man out when Vigneault feels the need to juggle the lines and slot someone else in with the Sedins in order to spark said struggling depth forward. Just a reminder, Burrows makes $2.2M and is all expectations are that he will likely look for no more than $5M in his next contract.

So is this the guy you are asking us about to the tune of $6M Doc?

I get that you aren't actually suggesting this as a good idea.....