Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Cornuck »

newcanuckfan wrote:...(plus some 3rd and 4th line parts in the upcoming Luongo deal)...
Why should we settle for plugs coming back in a trade for a franchise player?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

Cornuck wrote:
newcanuckfan wrote:...(plus some 3rd and 4th line parts in the upcoming Luongo deal)...
Why should we settle for plugs coming back in a trade for a franchise player?
I'm only speculating on the chatter that's out there --- i.e. the $ and term mean MG may need to settle for non Top 6 + some picks (and MG gets the benefit of the salary relief). Doesn't necessarily mean plugs either...I think a Staal / Richardson type of calibre player is fair as part of a package with a depth D and some high picks.....but that's for a different thread ;)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well, one thing Doan may have going for him over the young folk, he may not have the windbag, but at least he's got old man toughness.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie

Post by Gino's Knuckle »

Given the opportunity I would jump at signing Doan (3-4 yrs @ FMV) - not from a perspective of thinking this will bring us a cup, but from a perspecive of such signing providing some form of stop-gap for a significant deficiency:

IMO in the last two years (at minimum) it has been patently obvious that toughness has been lacking on the roster and would have helped us. Doan may be old but he brings toughness in the power forward variety and, given the durability he has shown throughout his career, is likely to continue doing so for another 3-4. Kassian is in development and is not yet trusted nor utilitized by AV (this approach to development is a topic for another thread) and until those factors change he will, for all intents and purposes, be a non-factor. Doan is an immediate bandage on a wound that has been profusely gushing for the better part of recent memory. Whether he alone is enough to actually stop that wound is up for argument, but he would definitely limit the bleeding.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Gino's Knuckle wrote:Given the opportunity I would jump at signing Doan (3-4 yrs @ FMV) - not from a perspective of thinking this will bring us a cup, but from a perspecive of such signing providing some form of stop-gap for a significant deficiency:

IMO in the last two years (at minimum) it has been patently obvious that toughness has been lacking on the roster and would have helped us. Doan may be old but he brings toughness in the power forward variety and, given the durability he has shown throughout his career, is likely to continue doing so for another 3-4. Kassian is in development and is not yet trusted nor utilitized by AV (this approach to development is a topic for another thread) and until those factors change he will, for all intents and purposes, be a non-factor. Doan is an immediate bandage on a wound that has been profusely gushing for the better part of recent memory. Whether he alone is enough to actually stop that wound is up for argument, but he would definitely limit the bleeding.
#truth
Good post, and agreed, it allows the Canucks to let Kassian develop at a better pace, without as much pressure to perform right away, as power forwards take awhile to develop in the NHL.

Anyone else happy about the..
Reports Glendale has rejected Tax initiative..definitely puts the future of Coyotes in doubt, and more immediately Doan likely on to market
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Linden had grit like the Sedins for the most part in that it was tough to intimidate him.. Doan has 20 lbs on the weight Linden played at despite giving up two inches and is much more willing to use it.

Shane's got a couple of suspensions and I think a few more plays that caught the eye of the league (and I don't just mean calling Stephane Auger a frog :lol: ) on Trevor, too.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Mondi wrote:I have admit I've never considered Doan exceptionally tough...I mean I see him as like Trevor Linden. Tough in a certain sense, but not a menace.

Am I wrong?

I believe you are. Doan does drop the gloves when called out, just not many want a part of him. He's a speed player with attitude. His best days are behind him though. How many years has he left ??? IMO
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mondi wrote:I have admit I've never considered Doan exceptionally tough...I mean I see him as like Trevor Linden. Tough in a certain sense, but not a menace.

Am I wrong?
You could also say Cliff Ronning was as tough as Jordin Tootoo.........but you'd likely be wrong.

One could say that Robert Nordmark was as tough as Scott Stevens..... they'd likely be wrong as well.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Am I wrong?
You could also say Cliff Ronning was as tough as Jordin Tootoo.........but you'd likely be wrong.

One could say that Robert Nordmark was as tough as Scott Stevens..... they'd likely be wrong as well.
Cliffy may not have been big, but he was as tough as they come for that weight class (well, for a skill guy.)

Maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed, though, based on his "Seeking Stanley" interviews with CBC...
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Reports Glendale has rejected Tax initiative..definitely puts the future of Coyotes in doubt, and more immediately Doan likely on to market
[/quote]

Later posted:

I have never been happier to be wrong! I was texted this ballot measure being disqualified was bad news for the future of the Coyotes, when in fact it was exactly the opposite. I am always in favor of hockey fans NOT losing their team. Again I apologize.

Per Phoenix Biz Journal:

"The city of Glendale has disqualified a ballot measure aimed at blocking a proposed sales tax increase. Glendale disqualified the measure Wednesday, arguing ballot and petition language was misleading to voters. In addition, the city said there were other technical problems with the ballot measure and its campaign committee. Keeping the sales tax measure off the November ballot could be a boost to the city’s 20-year deal with prospective Phoenix Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison."

More to come.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Gino's Knuckle wrote:Kassian is in development and is not yet trusted nor utilitized by AV (this approach to development is a topic for another thread) and until those factors change he will, for all intents and purposes, be a non-factor.
If there is one possible extra reason to sign Doan, even if at an unpalatable term, it is to mentor someone the likes of Kassian. I have a feeling Yzerman signed the likes of Ohlund and Salo in order to mentor the Hedman wunderkind, among other things. Who on the current roster could do the same for a kid like Kassian when it comes to playing the power forward game?

People make the Lucic/Clowe comparisons to Kassian, but if he turned out to be a nastier version of Doan would anyone mind? Somebody like Bert would be a good mentor for the kid, but that ain't happening.

Just another reason to sign him if he opts to leave Phoenix.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

We'll know in a few days...once Jamison comes up with the money Doan will sign with the Coyotes in all likelihood. If he can't come up with it than Doan will walk.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

surreal78 wrote: Cliffy may not have been big, but he was as tough as they come for that weight class (well, for a skill guy.)

Not when compared to a guy like Theo Fleury or Marty St Louis.

Cliff was a real good player for his size but he didn't play in the high trafic areas like those other two guys and his next hit will be his first. Ronning was a slick passer with great skill but he was a perimeter player. Really who can blame him being the size he was ???

I was obviously being facetious comparing him to Tootoo and Nordmark to Stevens but my point was that T Linden was not close to the phyical beast that S Doan is. Linden was 195 pounds soaking wet on a 6 ft 4 frame.... He is a twig. Doan is 30 -4 0 pounds heavier and a fuck of a lot stronger and tougher than Linden ever was.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

tantalum wrote:We'll know in a few days...once Jamison comes up with the money Doan will sign with the Coyotes in all likelihood. If he can't come up with it than Doan will walk.
That situation is such a clusterf*ck I can't see Jamison being able to buy the team. The combination of government money needed, a buyer with no cash, and the Goldwater institute breathing down everybody's neck will make it impossible.

Personally I think it's much more likely they will announce the Yotes are moving in the next month than that they are staying, but I could be wrong.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

As well Doan wants a guarantee, well as close to one as he can get, that the Yotes will be in the desert for the foreseeable future. He refused a one year deal saying he didn't want to have to deal with this again. He's either in or out. Loyalty is one thing, not wanting to move the family is another thing, but ridiculousness is altogether another.

I think he just needs to get his head around the reality of the situation. Take a chance on a one year deal in the desert and then see, or break ties altogether. If he thinks he has 4 more years in him then take a four year deal with a team you want and let the Dust Dogs be a good memory.
The only HW the Canucks need