Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Shane Doan

Post by wienerdog »

The_Pauser wrote:
Tciso wrote: Not only that, Doan would kill too much cap space next year, when we have to re-sign a few players, like Tanev and Edler, Hansen, etc. I'd take Doan for our remaining cap space this year, but we need the space next year to keep some of those core players.
Keep playing for "next year" and you'll never win a championship. Deal with next year when it comes...this year we have a huge hole on offense, particularly in our top 6. Our offense for two playoffs in a row has proven it isn't good enough to get the job done. I'm not guaranteeing that Doan will solve that, but he's definitely an attempt to address the problem and I personally think he will help a lot.
Fair enough. But at what price / term do you walk away from trying to sign him?

$6M? $6.5M? $7M?

Two, three, four year deal?

Let's hear it on record before a deal goes down...
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

wienerdog wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Tciso wrote: Not only that, Doan would kill too much cap space next year, when we have to re-sign a few players, like Tanev and Edler, Hansen, etc. I'd take Doan for our remaining cap space this year, but we need the space next year to keep some of those core players.
Keep playing for "next year" and you'll never win a championship. Deal with next year when it comes...this year we have a huge hole on offense, particularly in our top 6. Our offense for two playoffs in a row has proven it isn't good enough to get the job done. I'm not guaranteeing that Doan will solve that, but he's definitely an attempt to address the problem and I personally think he will help a lot.

$6M? $6.5M? $7M?

Given our cap structure I would probably go as high as $26M/4 years if need be. I don't think we would need to go that high to lock him up. I would much prefer to get something done at $20M/4 years especially since we are conceeding term to him, but if backed into a corner and a bidding war, $26/4 is my limit.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

The_Pauser wrote:
wienerdog wrote:
The_Pauser wrote: Keep playing for "next year" and you'll never win a championship. Deal with next year when it comes...this year we have a huge hole on offense, particularly in our top 6. Our offense for two playoffs in a row has proven it isn't good enough to get the job done. I'm not guaranteeing that Doan will solve that, but he's definitely an attempt to address the problem and I personally think he will help a lot.

$6M? $6.5M? $7M?

Given our cap structure I would probably go as high as $26M/4 years if need be. I don't think we would need to go that high to lock him up. I would much prefer to get something done at $20M/4 years especially since we are conceeding term to him, but if backed into a corner and a bidding war, $26/4 is my limit.
$6.5M / 4 years is definitely much too high for my liking, and I do expect Gillis would walk from a contract like that.

I have a hard time seeing MG paying him more than Kesler - I think it'll be $5M / x (4 or less) if he signs here.

I'm gonna say $5M / 3 or 4 is what goes down if he signs in Vancouver.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

wienerdog wrote:
$6.5M / 4 years is definitely much too high for my liking, and I do expect Gillis would walk from a contract like that.

I have a hard time seeing MG paying him more than Kesler - I think it'll be $5M / x (4 or less) if he signs here.

Why? What is the alternative? Another good/great regular season followed by a collapse due to a piss poor offensive performance in the playoffs?
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

The_Pauser wrote:
wienerdog wrote:

Why? What is the alternative? Another good/great regular season followed by a collapse due to a piss poor offensive performance in the playoffs?
Why? Beacuse I don't feel comfortable paying a 40 year old inevitably broken-down Doan $6.5M for a paltry point production in 4 years, that's why.

Just remember Naslund at the end of his tenure here and how badly everyone wanted him off the roster. Doan will = late Nuck career Naslund v2.0.

And what's the alternative? It's to NOT pay him that much and let him sign eleswhere. You yourself said he may or may not be the piece we're looking for, but then you insinuate that this team won't succeed in the playoffs without him.

Well, this team was going nowhere after the season before last. They left nothing in the tank after game 7 and had zero recovery time. Kesler was fucked and everyone was gassed. Still, they managed a 2nd President's trophy, despite losing Daniel to a concussion at season's end - which fucked us in the playoffs, btw.

Sorry, I dont buy the "collapse" argument. I certainly don't buy that it means we need Doan at all costs.

Why the hell would we start opening the vaults for a guy that might or might not address what this team needs?

People just keep expecting that hail-mary manoeuvers = Cup, but that's not the case.

Doan at $5M, ok, but barely - precisely because it's not clear whether he will adequately get us over the hump.

Doan at $6.5M... fuck no.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

wienerdog wrote:Just remember Naslund at the end of his tenure here and how badly everyone wanted him off the roster. Doan will = late Nuck career Naslund v2.0.
Only morons and assholes wanted Naslund off the roster. He should have retired a Canuck... top three or four best players to ever wear a Canuck Jersey. Fuckin class act that was amongst the most dangerous in the world for a few years! He brought your Canucks back from the depths of hell!

BTW, I agree Doan at 6.5 x 4 is retarded!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

wienerdog wrote: Why? Beacuse I don't feel comfortable paying a 40 year old inevitably broken-down Doan $6.5M for a paltry point production in 4 years, that's why.
You have cheque signing authority for Francesco Aquilini?

Edit:
wienerdog wrote: Why the hell would we start opening the vaults for a guy that might or might not address what this team needs?
Because spending that same amount of cash of 3-4 scrubs to help the 3rd/4th line or get some depth d-men makes more sense, right?

The team needs a legit top 6 forward, someone who can play on that 2nd line and move up to the 1st when needed. If the team has a chance to land Doan without giving up anything except cap space which they'll get back the following year (and get some back with Kesler's LTIR this year), why would anyone even think twice about it.

It's not like they are out hunting for 2-3 $2 million dollar 3rd/4th liners, they are looking to add some scoring, leadership and grit to the mix - Doan has all of it.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

vic wrote: The team needs a legit top 6 forward, someone who can play on that 2nd line and move up to the 1st when needed. If the team has a chance to land Doan without giving up anything except cap space which they'll get back the following year (and get some back with Kesler's LTIR this year), why would anyone even think twice about it.
You think twice because of Doan's age and the length and money Doan is reportedly asking. Fact is the Canucks have spent to the cap the past few years and any player who significantly underperforms his contract is going to be hard for the Canucks to live with. Personally, I think Doan can play in the NHL until he's 40, but not as a top 6 player. How many more offensively-productive years will Doan have? It's hard to tell.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

FAN wrote:
vic wrote: The team needs a legit top 6 forward, someone who can play on that 2nd line and move up to the 1st when needed. If the team has a chance to land Doan without giving up anything except cap space which they'll get back the following year (and get some back with Kesler's LTIR this year), why would anyone even think twice about it.
You think twice because of Doan's age and the length and money Doan is reportedly asking. Fact is the Canucks have spent to the cap the past few years and any player who significantly underperforms his contract is going to be hard for the Canucks to live with. Personally, I think Doan can play in the NHL until he's 40, but not as a top 6 player. How many more offensively-productive years will Doan have? It's hard to tell.
Chicken dinner.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

wienerdog wrote: Why? Beacuse I don't feel comfortable paying a 40 year old inevitably broken-down Doan $6.5M for a paltry point production in 4 years, that's why.

Just remember Naslund at the end of his tenure here and how badly everyone wanted him off the roster. Doan will = late Nuck career Naslund v2.0.

And what's the alternative? It's to NOT pay him that much and let him sign eleswhere. You yourself said he may or may not be the piece we're looking for, but then you insinuate that this team won't succeed in the playoffs without him.

Well, this team was going nowhere after the season before last. They left nothing in the tank after game 7 and had zero recovery time. Kesler was fucked and everyone was gassed. Still, they managed a 2nd President's trophy, despite losing Daniel to a concussion at season's end - which fucked us in the playoffs, btw.

Sorry, I dont buy the "collapse" argument. I certainly don't buy that it means we need Doan at all costs.

Why the hell would we start opening the vaults for a guy that might or might not address what this team needs?

People just keep expecting that hail-mary manoeuvers = Cup, but that's not the case.

Doan at $5M, ok, but barely - precisely because it's not clear whether he will adequately get us over the hump.

Doan at $6.5M... fuck no.
Shane Doan would be one of the most valuable forward on our roster. If he's not scoring, he's at least playing strong defensive hockey and he is playing physical. Last year he logged over 200 hits...we don't have a single player in our top 6 even close to that figure.

I said I can't guarantee that Doan will solve our problems, but I think that he will help. I don't know if the Sedins are going to go ice cold and get completely shut down in 3 of 4 playoff series like the 2011 playoffs. I don't know that Kesler doesn't get completely ripped a part and injured again. I can't guarantee that Doan comes in and lights it up, no more than I could guarantee Alex Ovechkin could come in here and get his career back on track. At best, it's an attempt to solve a huge problem this team has.

Shane Doan is in excellent physical shape. While he may not be a 20-25 goal, 50-60 point forward at age 40, I think he has likely 3 more years left at this level. That final year coulud be tough, but at least I can see him being a valuable asset on our 3rd line at that point. Who knows what the cap will be like by that point. Another option is to front-load his contract so that the salary portion is low for the 4th year. That would leave him little incentive to continue playing (especially if we have won a Cup by then, and if we haven't then this team has a lot more to worry about than just Shane Doan), and we trade his contract to a cap floor team a month before he announces his retirement. They get to keep his cap hit on their books, we don't get stuck with his cap hit, and Doan enjoys his retirement.

This team won a President's trophy because our goaltenders played out of this world. If not for them, we probably end up in 3rd in the West. Once the playoffs hit and we faced stronger competition our team was dead in the water. I saw no life in this team in the playoffs, and it was the exact same attitude as we saw throughout the regular season.

We can either sign Shane Doan and address our needs, or we can hope that someone like Raymond or Higgins or Kassian are good enough to stick in our top 6 for the regular season, and hold our breaths trying to ignore the reality that in the playoffs we will be leaving our goalie out to dry by not being able to give him more than 1-2 goals of offensive support. But then again, all the goalie haters can turn their attention to Schneider being the next choker in this city.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Was it nice to win the Presidents Trophy? Yeah it was nice, but who cares. Without looking it up who won it 3 years ago? The whole point of the exercise is to win the Cup and to entertain your fans along the way. The Canucks are soft and they continually get out fought for the puck when it counts. Doan can be one solution in a process to fix that. Doan's worth isn't all in the goals and assists but in the over all flow of the game. When he is on the ice the D know he's coming and tend to rush the play. If Kassian can learn from him, that is another step in the process. The money shouldn't even enter anyones mind, that's up to Aquaman and Gillis. They didn't get to where they are by throwing money away. Some say Sundin was a useless pick up by Gillis, yet look at the improvement in Keslers game since he played with him. Messier was a piece of work but Naslund put his rise to prominence on what he learned from him. Sometimes an old vet has much more than simply points to add to the team he's going to and I think Doan brings a lot of the things we need at this time, so sign him. I will leave the costs to those who have to spend it.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canuck-One wrote:Was it nice to win the Presidents Trophy? Yeah it was nice, but who cares. Without looking it up who won it 3 years ago? The whole point of the exercise is to win the Cup and to entertain your fans along the way. The Canucks are soft and they continually get out fought for the puck when it counts.
Brilliant stuff, Canuck-One. Completely on the same level as you. We must be taking the same drugs. But seriously, the Presidents Trophy is one of the most gay trophy's of all time, like why fucking bother. It means fuck all. Oh yeah, completely agree about us being soft, but it's a softness in the area of competing when it really counts...too many guys on this team who phone it in when the other team is pumped up on emotion with a whole whack of push back, we've seen it over the last 3 playoffs. When we get pushed we cower and the players really don't stick up for each other. We irritate teams, we piss them off, but that ain't toughness, that is just arrogance and not shutting up and just playing hockey that makes us the most hated team in the league, non-Canuck fans love to see this team fail. We need a new approach. Anyhow, the team really needs to drop the whole Presidents trophy thing, it's gay, AV loves it, cause it pads his stats and justifies his place in coaching fraternity, but seriously, I hope we never win another Presidents Trophy.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

Canuck-One wrote:Was it nice to win the Presidents Trophy? Yeah it was nice, but who cares. Without looking it up who won it 3 years ago?

Worshinton!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Canuck-One wrote: The Canucks are soft and they continually get out fought for the puck when it counts.
I've sang that song on Canuck boards a few summers in a row, not many seem to listen.
Canuck-One wrote: Doan can be one solution in a process to fix that.
:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Strangelove wrote:
Canuck-One wrote: The Canucks are soft and they continually get out fought for the puck when it counts.
I've sang that song on Canuck boards a few summers in a row, not many seem to listen.
Canuck-One wrote: Doan can be one solution in a process to fix that.
:thumbs:

There's no doubt vcr is not exactly a hard nosed team. That has to be done during the season when wins and losses are not so important. The trouble is IMO every time one of the tough players takes a penalty AV sits him....he just doesn't like penalties. I guess that's why the tougher member of the cast will not return and I have to say I don't see Volpatti as a solution ( apart from one lucky punch with Winchester)
cheers