Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Callicles
AHL Prospect

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Callicles »

Canuck-One wrote:Welcome to the board Callicles. I agree that far too many GM's get panicked and sell the farm for a player whose best before date is well behind him. Doan though still has the skills and if put with the Sedins a 30 goal year wouldn't be out of the question. A deal for around 5.5 million for 3 years with a club option for the 4th wouldn't be too bad. I also doubt that we will get him but it would be nice.
Thanks for the welcome. I don't think a three year contract for Doan is necessarily a bad thing. The salary is something that worries me ... for a player of Doan's age. I don't doubt Doan's willingness or work ethic, but playing the way he does puts a lot more miles on the body than playing the way, say, Selanne does (no critique of of Selanne...they're different types of players). A multi-year deal at that money leaves the Canucks with a cap hit similar to that of Luongo. Now, saying Gillis signs Doan to a the type of contract you mention and ships of Luongo, that's close to even on the cap hit (I think). And, with the Canucks closing in on the cap it doesn't leave much room for salary coming back in the Luongo trade. I'm a fan of Doan, and I think he'll have no trouble getting a multi-year, big money contract if that's what he wants, but I don't think it's the best move for the Canucks at this time, in this position. If they could talk him in to taking 4 million per for 3 years, or perhaps a few more dollars and one year less, then it might be a good move. But, unless Doan is burning to play in Vancity, that seems unlikely. Save the money, work the trade angle with Luongo, and save some cap room for later trades.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote: Sometimes you eat the horse....
....sometimes you can never have enough glue!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Sometimes you eat the horse....
....sometimes you can never have enough glue!
Okay, I suppose that would satisfy my superior moral sensibilities.

Just as long as horse corpses aren't left for the vultures, hey I'm good.

Sign Shane to a two-year $20mil contract and be done with it. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

black ace wrote:
ESQ wrote: Umm, it should be BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion, sounds much more impressive anyway :thumbs:

Your right.

Thanks
... posthumously awarded. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If we are lucky enough to sign Shane Doan I'm wondering if we should give him Matts Sundin's number 13 or Messier's/Maki's number 11? And then Hank hand him the 'C''?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:If we are lucky enough to sign Shane Doan I'm wondering if we should give him Matts Sundin's number 13 or Messier's/Maki's number 11? And then Hank hand him the 'C''?
then hang his jersey...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:If we are lucky enough to sign Shane Doan I'm wondering if we should give him Matts Sundin's number 13 or Messier's/Maki's number 11? And then Hank hand him the 'C''?
then hang his jersey...
I don't know Rats, it just seems that we have been down this road before. Signing these well past their prime 'fading stars' to come in and save the day. It never pans out. But knowing Gillis and his consistency in making dumb move after dumb move, I fully expect him to sign the old fart to a huge contract.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote:.
Sign Shane to a two-year $20mil contract and be done with it. :wink:
Yeah, plus I've tought of a better idea if Doan's horses are such a concern for him.

We'll just get good ole rats to babysit!

Ratski get down there and offer up our services. Take GMMG with ya :thumbs:
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Come on Dude, let's be fuckin' realistic for change.

:mad:

Clearly Gillis would lower Markus' one-nine from the rafters just for Shane "The Saint" Doan.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Latest news apparently is there is an offer from an unnamed eastern team for 4 years and $30 million. Flyers maybe? Sounds like something they'd do but I dunno about the cap space. Washington? The Rangers? Who else?

I dunno if I'd like seeing Gillis making that kind of offer, but maybe it comes down to him seeling Vancouver as the best mix of location, environment and chances for winning it all. As others here have said, he would fill one of those key parts that would make Vancouver tha favourite to beat again.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Lancer wrote:Latest news apparently is there is an offer from an unnamed eastern team for 4 years and $30 million. .
Not.

$7.5 for Doan is ridiculous. Where did you hear this nonsense?

My offer, 2 yrs $5.5 cap hit. Structure it however you wish.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

The report/rumour is out on dobber sportsblog here: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=136017

Not what I would do or wouldwish Gillis to do but the word is out there. Payday or Stanley Cup parade- which would you choose?

Hate the League.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Lancer wrote:The report/rumour is out on dobber sportsblog here: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=136017

Not what I would do or wouldwish Gillis to do but the word is out there. Payday or Stanley Cup parade- which would you choose?
its not like you cant have both.....just not as big a payday, 5mill vs 6.5mill lots of money left on the table,,but its not one or the other its just more of one than the other...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

CFP! wrote: My offer, 2 yrs $5.5 cap hit. Structure it however you wish.
I can see MG doing something like that, Insiderr said Canucks put a two year $12 million dollar offer to Doan. :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:
CFP! wrote: My offer, 2 yrs $5.5 cap hit. Structure it however you wish.
I can see MG doing something like that, Insiderr said Canucks put a two year $12 million dollar offer to Doan. :o
Methinks it will take a longer term contract to get Doan to sign, even if it meant $5.5 vice $6 million a year.

Anyone else think the CBA negotiations have put big name FA signings/trade negotiations into hibernation? I get the sense that there are a lot of people with a lot of teams figuring they have a whack of time to wait all this out.

Hate the League.