Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Hockey Widow »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Hmmm.... u could be right Clam. In an interesting turn of events, I heard Davd Pratt say the same thing today. He said that he doesn't think Jamison has the money to buy the coyotes, the NHL will run the coyotes for one more year, then move it to Quebec or something. He also said that Doan will then sign with Vancouver. :D

Guess it's not over yet and we'll see what happens soon.

I guess it depends upon one thing. Does Doan want to sign before the CBA expires or is he prepared to wait it out. If he wants to sign and have certainty before Sept 15th then I can see him still possibly being a Canuck. If he is dead set on being a desert dog I can see him waiting or doing a one year deal however he has thus far rejected all one years offers from Phoenix.

I think he will sign under the old CBA because otherwise he would be leaving way too much on the table.
The only HW the Canucks need
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Hockey Widow wrote: I guess it depends upon one thing. Does Doan want to sign before the CBA expires or is he prepared to wait it out. If he wants to sign and have certainty before Sept 15th then I can see him still possibly being a Canuck. If he is dead set on being a desert dog I can see him waiting or doing a one year deal however he has thus far rejected all one years offers from Phoenix.

I think he will sign under the old CBA because otherwise he would be leaving way too much on the table.
Doan and his agent did make it clear that they want a deal done before the CBA expires, but Doan did make an announcement that he wants to stay. Will he really jump ship instead of waiting it out if Jamieson is still trying?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hard to say...but it does beg the question, will his heart be in it anywhere else? I've been all for signing "Mr. Loyalty" but this has dragged on beyond reason. Sundin's heart was always in TO....Messier's in NY.....and Linden's in Van. I'm sure he'd *want* to be loyal to his new team...but is it even really possible for him?

I'm still in favour of landing him, absolutely...but certainly have concerns w/ his ability to flick the switch.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

If the Canucks do get him, they better not get him before the new CBA.

Simply because who knows when there'd be a new CBA?

Let's say if we successfully sign Doan at this ridiculous market price,

then a lockout similar to the previous one takes place

Everybody comes back, Doan also comes back, 1 year older, still has that big contract on him and probably will turn into Post-2000 Linden or maybe even worse.

Doan's value in my opinion, is at its peak this season and will continue to free fall hereon after.

So if a whole year lock out takes place, I cannot imagine him being capable of contributing anything at all. Intangibles you said? It wasn't just the intangibles Canucks were only missing during these past two years.

fuck it. Doan is not worth it at this rumoured market price

In any other years Doan's signing would never be under such scrutiny, now the market has made him like a godsend out there. He himself teasing the media isn't helping the situation either.

Doan will not be the key difference to any cup contending team, especially not the difference that you'd have to shell out 6+ million for.

Yup, sorry I don't like him and there's my rants for having to read all the news about Doan this offseason. Now i feel much better!
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

ClamRussel wrote:Hard to say...but it does beg the question, will his heart be in it anywhere else? I've been all for signing "Mr. Loyalty" but this has dragged on beyond reason. Sundin's heart was always in TO....Messier's in NY.....and Linden's in Van. I'm sure he'd *want* to be loyal to his new team...but is it even really possible for him?

I'm still in favour of landing him, absolutely...but certainly have concerns w/ his ability to flick the switch.
I don't share the same concerns. Doan is a competitive hockey player who has a desire to win when he's on the ice. I don't think Doan will have problems playing for another team because his heart is in Phoenix.

For Sundin, he was nearing the end of his career and once returning to TO was no longer an option, he just didn't know whether he wanted to play hockey anymore. I didn't get a sense at all that Sundin's heart wasn't into it because he wasn't wearing a leaves jersey. What I saw was a player who missed training camp and was clearly a step or two behind due to inadequate preparation for the season. Messier was just an aging player who was trying to cash in as many cheques as possible. It wasn't because his heart was in NY. He's won it all and he just was no longer willing to put in the work and sacrifices required and that didn't change when he went back to NY. As for Linden, he just wasn't the the same player as he was in his prime and didn't meet the expectations placed on him. He was a 40+ point guy when he first left the Canucks and he was a 40 point guy all through the years before he rejoined the Canucks. I don't think it's a loyalty thing where Linden played poorly because his heart was in Vancouver.

So I do think Doan is different from the above guys.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Well the clock is ticking....and due to the uncertainty of the new CBA, I fully expect Doan to make a move prior to the 15th....whether that is w/ the Canucks or signing w/ the Yotes (and hoping Jamison gets it done, eventually). Tomorrow is pretty much the deadline as I don't expect politicians to be working on Saturdays. Its still no certainty he leaves Phoenix, I wouldn't be shocked if he signs on the belief that they get something done....but there is that nagging possibility that the NHL keeps them afloat for another season (tops) and then moves them to Quebec or elsewhere. Probably not how Doan wants to spend his final 3yrs of his career. I'm betting we get an announcement either way on Saturday. I'm hoping its with the Canucks, Doan isn't in his prime but he's exactly what this team needs....and it gives Gillis more flexibility on the Luongo front (he can go for prospects/picks if the option is there).
Just got off the phone with a Vancouver source who is highly placed within the Canucks organization. He has advised me Terry Bross, who is Shane Doan’s agent, has contacted the Canucks upper management today to make sure no bridges were burnt.

My sources maintain Shane Doan’s verbal agreement with Coyotes remains in place for a 4 year $21.5M deal. However, this is if and only if the Coyotes sale to Jamison’s group is officially approved before the CBA expiry date on September 15.

Even though Jamison and his investors have gathered the necessary funding, the problem remains the litigation between Jamison and the city of Glendale. Still no confirmation that this will be resolved before September 15.

In case the sale does not go through according to plan, Doan’s agent has advised the Canucks his client would like to accept Vancouver’s 4 year offer. My source advised me this offer is for $24M total. My source confirmed that the Canucks offer is still very much on the table. If by Friday night the sale to Jamison’s group is not confirmed, expect Doan to give the Canucks a call according to my source.

Furthermore, hearing Vancouver is also pushing hard for an Edler extension prior to the CBA expiry. And Luongo is expected to meet with Canucks upper management in Vancouver this week!

Exciting times to be a Canucks fan!
http://www.insiderrumors.com/2012/phoen ... -and-more/
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I heard Doan is expected to make his decision tommorow (friday) @ 2pm before the CBA expires. They say it's either going to be Phoenix or Vancouver. Hopefully the guy will make up his mind, he said he was going to make his decision like a couple weeks after free agency, but that was like 2 months ago now. If he wants to stay in phoenix, then I don't care if he wants to keep his ass there. If he doesn't think phoenix will work out, then he's welcome to play here. Just make up his freaking mind already. This story is getting old and gone on long enuff. *LOL*

ClamRussel wrote:Well the clock is ticking....and due to the uncertainty of the new CBA, I fully expect Doan to make a move prior to the 15th....whether that is w/ the Canucks or signing w/ the Yotes (and hoping Jamison gets it done, eventually).
http://www.insiderrumors.com/2012/phoen ... -and-more/[/quote]
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I gotta give kudos to MG/Gilman who have been superiorly patient with Doan, I would have traded RL/Ray for Versteeg+ already lol.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

At the very least we're finalists! :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

FAN wrote:At the very least we're finalists! :lol:
We've been down this road before, ie Schultz and Webber. Nothing like always finishing 2nd, oh the glory in that. It will be 3 strikes for ol' Gillis this summer when we finally hear the Doan signing announcement.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Reports indicate Doan has narrowed his choices down to staying with the Phoenix Coyotes or moving to the Vancouver Canucks.
source : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405237
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

griz wrote:
Reports indicate Doan has narrowed his choices down to staying with the Phoenix Coyotes or moving to the Vancouver Canucks.
I thought Doan made up his mind to stay put a week ago... :roll: Oh well, perhaps Jamison could not come up with the money to purchase the Coyotes.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Jovocop wrote:
griz wrote:
I thought Doan made up his mind to stay put a week ago... :roll: Oh well, perhaps Jamison could not come up with the money to purchase the Coyotes.
i think there was an addendum "as long as the purchase it cleared by then" kind of thing..

he would sign 4yr @ 21.5m in the dessert but 4yr@24m here...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

rats19 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
i think there was an addendum "as long as the purchase it cleared by then" kind of thing..

he would sign 4yr @ 21.5m in the dessert but 4yr@24m here...
$2.5m hometown discount? Anyhow, Doan will definitely be able to help the Canucks.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

ClamRussel wrote:it gives Gillis more flexibility on the Luongo front (he can go for prospects/picks if the option is there).
Somebody commented on how similar the cap hits would be between Luongo and Doan if Doan signed here. Agree with some that while signing Doan may hurt the market for Luongo by making Gillis appear to be in a more desperate situation vis a vis the salary cap, it also opens up the arcs of fire in terms of trades. It may also fit with Gillis' contingency plans to make the trade bigger in terms of teams and assets traded.

Luongo would be going regardless of whether Doan signed or not. Signing Doan only makes things easier. I can't believe the belief expressed elsewhere that Doan signing means good-bye Burrows. We don't even know what the next CBA will entail - even for those with contracts signed before Saturday - so why not sign what you can and deal with the new CBA when it comes?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.