Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Re: Shane Doan

Post by CaptainTrev »

FAN wrote:In the case of Kassian, he's obviously too good for the AHL
Are we sure about that? AV was willing to experiment with moving Kassian up and down the lineup, and it took all of 20 games for him to play his way right out of the lineup.

He's still only 21 years old, and has played a grand total of 74 professional games. I don't see that more experience in the AHL would be a bad thing for him, especially compared to playing 6 minutes a night with the likes of Malhotra and Weise.

Obviously he'll get a shot at camp, but I won't be too disappointed if he gets sent to Chicago to start the year.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
mnaslund
AHL Prospect

Post by mnaslund »

its been reported that buffalo has offered him 4 years 30 million................. Still want doan at that price???
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

mnaslund wrote:its been reported that buffalo has offered him 4 years 30 million................. Still want doan at that price???
There's been something like 200 posts in this thread since that contract offer was leaked to the media several weeks ago.. you could read them to get an idea of who wants Doan at that money.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

meh. at least we havnt beaten the doan dead-horse as hard as the Lu-trade dead horse...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

mnaslund wrote:its been reported that buffalo has offered him 4 years 30 million................. Still want doan at that price???
NO!

I want Doan at 4 years 40 million..........
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I see Kassian challenging Hansen for the 3rd line RW spot. I think he's got more upside than Hansen so he'll move past him eventually, but it really depends on Kassian's conditioning. I expect he'll see time on the PP, battling in front of the net. In fact, he might be a good fit with the Sedins in that role, allowing Kesler to move to the 2nd PP.
Unless Hansen's game suffers a drastic dropoff, I honestly don't see ANYONE moving past Hansen for a 3rd line spot, especially not Kassian who is inexperienced and plays a different game than Hansen. Of course, I might be biased here as I view Hansen as one of the best third line players in the game. To me, Higgins and Hansen were perhaps the most consistently effective even strength players on the team. Kassian's upside is higher as far as his top 6 potential, but Hansen is really good at what he does and AV has come to trust him. Hansen might not be a consistent offensive producer, but he was 4th behind the Sedins and Burrows in even strength points. As we witnessed during the Cup run, Hansen can be a beast.
CaptainTrev wrote:
FAN wrote:In the case of Kassian, he's obviously too good for the AHL
Are we sure about that? AV was willing to experiment with moving Kassian up and down the lineup, and it took all of 20 games for him to play his way right out of the lineup.

He's still only 21 years old, and has played a grand total of 74 professional games. I don't see that more experience in the AHL would be a bad thing for him, especially compared to playing 6 minutes a night with the likes of Malhotra and Weise.

Obviously he'll get a shot at camp, but I won't be too disappointed if he gets sent to Chicago to start the year.
Kassian put up 15 goals in 30 games in the AHL and 4 goals 10 points in 44 games in the NHL in his first professional season and is expected to improve. I don't think he was ready for top 6 duty, but I didn't get a sense at all that Kassian was not ready for the NHL. But ya Kassian is really young and a player like Kassian can really improve by leaps and bounds once he figures where his size and strength is at in relation to other guys in the NHL.

I'm usually all for giving prospects at least a full season of AHL time, but in the case of Kassian, I'm a bit hesistant to say that more time in the AHL will benefit him and the Canucks. The main goal is to turn Kassian into a physical, intimidating powerforward who can control the puck in the offensive end and score goals. The fact that Kassian could be a floater and score the way he did in the AHL and the fact that Kassian can play a bottom 6 role in the NHL makes me think that the AHL won't benefit him much. Can Scott Arniel light a fire under Kassian's ass and motivate Kassian to pound the living hell out of everyone in the AHL while dominating on the offensive end? If he can't, are the Canucks better off having AV turn Kassian into a defensively-responsible-hit-first-asks-questions-later forward and let Kassian's offense take care of itself?

Personally, I would be very surprised if Kassian isn't given a chance to earn a top 6 role next season (unless Doan signs with us :lol: ) and I would bet money that Kassian is on the Canucks roster come opening night.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote:meh. at least we havnt beaten the doan dead-horse as hard as the Lu-trade dead horse...
Is that a challenge???
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Tciso wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:meh. at least we havnt beaten the doan dead-horse as hard as the Lu-trade dead horse...
Is that a challenge???
On that note, I'd be happpy with offering Doan a Ryan Smith type contract ($4.5-$5 over 2 seasons, maybe even $7 mil over 2 seasons), but Zack Parise type money is out of the question.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Tciso wrote: On that note, I'd be happpy with offering Doan a Ryan Smith type contract ($4.5-$5 over 2 seasons, maybe even $7 mil over 2 seasons), but Zack Parise type money is out of the question.
Might as well keep your offer to yourself. Based on production, ability, and intangibles, Doan is worth at least $4M a year in today's market. Personally, I think Gillis should try hard to stick with the salary structure and slot Doan right below what Kesler is making, which makes Doan the 3rd highest paid forward on the Canucks and where he should be.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Mondi wrote:It is August 23, Shane Doan hasn't signed yet he's been offered multiple contracts by multiple teams.

He clearly prefersto stay in Phoenix, that tells me he doesn't really want to be here.

If he doesn't want to be here, why would anyone want him on the team?

Oh, that and we want to pay a 20-goal man who is over 35 6+ million. Sweet.

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Why is this a surprise? He has said from day one he wants to stay in Phoenix. He has said he will give it time. With no certainty the season will start on time he has no rush. It has nothing to do with him not wanting to play in Vancouver but everything to do with him wanting to stay in Phoenix. We are used to this type of loyalty from the Swedes but when it is a non Swede we want to write him off?
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Why is this a surprise? He has said from day one he wants to stay in Phoenix. He has said he will give it time. With no certainty the season will start on time he has no rush. It has nothing to do with him not wanting to play in Vancouver but everything to do with him wanting to stay in Phoenix. We are used to this type of loyalty from the Swedes but when it is a non Swede we want to write him off?
I'm with you and your usual level headed approach on this one, its pretty clear to me that until the CBA gets hammered out (no doubt at the absolute last minute possible) contracts, trades and team moves will be at a minimum...Taylor Hall notwithstanding...Anyway Shane Doan has a spot on my roster but the money and term have to fit obviously
what that fit is and how the canucks do that is why they pay Gillis the big money...
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Mondi wrote:It is August 23, Shane Doan hasn't signed yet he's been offered multiple contracts by multiple teams.

He clearly prefersto stay in Phoenix, that tells me he doesn't really want to be here.

If he doesn't want to be here, why would anyone want him on the team?

Oh, that and we want to pay a 20-goal man who is over 35 6+ million. Sweet.
Oh FFS™, what are you, 12 years old?

As if you really need the situation in PHO explained to you, Mondi.

You know damn well that just because he prefers to play for a *financially healthy* Coyotes franchise does not mean that he won't want to play for another jersey if the owners can't right the ship in Phoenix.

Age + $$ + term issues are legit.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

FAN wrote:
Tciso wrote: On that note, I'd be happpy with offering Doan a Ryan Smith type contract ($4.5-$5 over 2 seasons, maybe even $7 mil over 2 seasons), but Zack Parise type money is out of the question.
Might as well keep your offer to yourself. Based on production, ability, and intangibles, Doan is worth at least $4M a year in today's market. Personally, I think Gillis should try hard to stick with the salary structure and slot Doan right below what Kesler is making, which makes Doan the 3rd highest paid forward on the Canucks and where he should be.
Well, I look at his numbers and intangibles, and come up with $3.5. So, on this, I disagree with you, andprobably a lot of the world. Speaking of offers, I also have an open offer to all GMs for a 1 year one-way contract at league minimum that no-one has taken me up on yet.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Tciso wrote: Well, I look at his numbers and intangibles, and come up with $3.5. So, on this, I disagree with you, andprobably a lot of the world. Speaking of offers, I also have an open offer to all GMs for a 1 year one-way contract at league minimum that no-one has taken me up on yet.
In what world does a 50+ point, 2-way, forward with size and intangibles, only get 3.5 mill in free agency ?

Doan is easily a 5.5 to 6 mill player based on his current ability. The problem is not paying him in the here and now, it's the fact his performance is likely to fall off a cliff as he approaches 40.

BTW

"Shane is going to sign a contract before the CBA expires on the 15th," said Doan's agent, Terry Bross.

Doan simply must sign before the CBA expires. He will want a front loaded contract with the majority of this season paid up front.