Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Shane Doan

Post by black ace »

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Vanc ... story.html

Vancouver Canucks left-winger Mason Raymond has avoided salary arbitration but he hasn't avoided a pay cut.

The 26-year-old forward agreed Monday to a one-year contract for $2.275 million, which represents a $325,000 reduction from his $2.6 million wage of last season. Maybe he'll even have Shane Doan on his line after Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman confirmed the team is pursuing the unrestricted free agent captain of the Phoenix Coyotes.

“I have spoken to Shane Doan on behalf of our organization a couple of times,” Gilman said Monday. “I spoke with him on July 1 to express our interest in bringing him to Vancouver and subsequently followed up with Shane last night. I know from my experience in Phoenix that he has been interested in Vancouver in the past. He's a western Canadian guy whose wife is from Kamloops. So I think there is interest there. I had productive discussions with both Shane and his agent.”

Gilman was quick to note there will be many suitors for Doan, 35, if he opts to leave the Coyotes and their unstable financial situation.

“Shane is a sought-after commodity and there are a number of teams who would be interested in adding him to their roster,” Gilman continued. “So we'll see what happens.”

He would be a great fit on the 2nd line with Kesler and I think really help in the room as well. I think we need to bring in a guy with some leadership from somewhere else. Almost all our guys who we consider leaders are homegrown and to add in something a little different I think would really help refocus the team after last years great reg season but early playoff loss.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Shane Doan

Post by black ace »

From twitter:

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

Shane Doan's agent Terry Bross just told CKWX that the ‪#Canucks‬ are very much in the mix for his client.

Bross tells CKWX that Doan has held talks with Lawrence Gillman and the ‪#Canucks‬ and they are on his list of desired destinations.

Gillman and Doan go back to the WINN Jets days and have a good relationship. Bross says absolutley Doan could end up with ‪#Canucks‬.

Bross tells CKWX that the ‪#Canucks‬ called early for Doan and he and his client have held pleasent talks with the ‪#Canucks‬.

Doan is a part owner of the WHL's Kamloops Blazers as well. Doan with the ‪#Canucks‬ sure getting traction.

News 1130 has done a very good job with Canuck "news" lately. If you dont follow them on twitter you should.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Doan for 2yrs at Kesler $'s, include Burrows with Bobby Lou for Heberdeau a role guy and 2nd or 3rd pick.

Burrows and Lou help the Panthers immediately and for a few years to come.

Doan becomes a placeholder until Heberdeau steps up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTDM3AQQf6o
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

This is good news. However as we all know in this game, don't get too excited till he signs on the dotted line.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Doan coming onboard would be a massive shot injection of grit into our line up.

He would automatically become our dirtiest player. :)

This is great news. I am very excited that we're pursuing him and I hope we can reach a deal.

Yeah, he's old but he's also extremely hungry and Vancouver should be gunning for the Prez trophy again this coming year

Weber AND Doan?

Damn yo. I think I just came a little bit.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

@NHLWinnipeg
Bross tells CKWX that Doan has held talks with Lawrence Gillman and the #Canucks and they are on his list of desired destinations.
From the Peg'! :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/h ... ng_on_doan
Only 2-3 teams would warrant serious interest on Doan's part, Bross said. Location, management/players and Cup chances are all factors.
9 Jul 12
Based on tweets from @pgshelly, @reallisa and @HeleneStJames, those three teams could be Pittsburgh, LA and Detroit.
9 Jul 12
According to Shane Doan's agent, Terry Bross, the #Blackhawks have shown interest in the veteran free-agent forward.
9 Jul 12
Shane Doan's agent Terry Bross just told CKWX that the #Canucks are very much in the mix for his client.
9 Jul 12
Canadiens called Terry Bross (Lagardere Unlimited) for his client Shane Doan. Bross said that Doan has interest for the Canadiens.
9 Jul 12
Shane Doan's agent, Terry Bross, said not only have #Blackhawks contacted them, but also that Doan has interest in joining Hawks.
9 Jul 12
Lawl. Maybe he's cloning himself 23 times over for the fall?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Seeing the media coverage of these latest developments, I would say that Vancouver has just as good a shot as any other club prusuing him - and better than most. Throw him Kesler money and for a 3-year term (takes him to 38, not a bad age for a power forward if he makes it that long and )it could work out.

We'd still have to drop Luongo's salary and maybe not get a prime time roster player depending on the trade, but signing Doan wouldn't hurt. Not at all.

BTW, what's with the hate on Burrows? Lotta people trying to dump him off in trade. I know he's due for a big pay-day next spring as an upcoming UFA, but really guys. He's been the best fit for the Sedins and is more to the club than the guy on the Sedin line. Beware letting him go, because there`s no guarantee Gillis and Vigneault can replicate that chemistry with someone else.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

surreal78 wrote:http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/h ... ng_on_doan
Only 2-3 teams would warrant serious interest on Doan's part, Bross said. Location, management/players and Cup chances are all factors.
9 Jul 12
Based on tweets from @pgshelly, @reallisa and @HeleneStJames, those three teams could be Pittsburgh, LA and Detroit.
9 Jul 12
According to Shane Doan's agent, Terry Bross, the #Blackhawks have shown interest in the veteran free-agent forward.
9 Jul 12
Shane Doan's agent Terry Bross just told CKWX that the #Canucks are very much in the mix for his client.
9 Jul 12
Canadiens called Terry Bross (Lagardere Unlimited) for his client Shane Doan. Bross said that Doan has interest for the Canadiens.
9 Jul 12
Shane Doan's agent, Terry Bross, said not only have #Blackhawks contacted them, but also that Doan has interest in joining Hawks.
9 Jul 12
Lawl. Maybe he's cloning himself 23 times over for the fall?
+100 - got to love how the agent uses twitter to jack up his clients offer
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I would love for the Canucks to add Shane Doan but at his age, Shane Doan has to be considered a risk. I can see Doan turning out to be a Ryan Smyth contributor. So anything beyond 2 years with an accompanying $4M+ cap hit might turn into be a bad deal.
black ace wrote:I think we need to bring in a guy with some leadership from somewhere else. Almost all our guys who we consider leaders are homegrown and to add in something a little different I think would really help refocus the team after last years great reg season but early playoff loss.
I think the Canucks can use another veteran leader who is hungry to win the Cup, especially with Samuelsson gone and Malhotra's decline. I don't think having homegrown leaders are a problem though. The dynamics of the room is pretty set and there really aren't too many guys who can and will come into the room and change the dynamics. This team has been receptive to new guys coming into the room (Sammy, Malhotra, Hamhuis etc.) and there's no doubt that Doan will be a respected voice and leader in the locker room.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm hearing Canucks are high on his list if he decides to leave Phoenix but he is also very very high on LA and a chance to win there.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

FAN wrote:I would love for the Canucks to add Shane Doan but at his age, Shane Doan has to be considered a risk. I can see Doan turning out to be a Ryan Smyth contributor. So anything beyond 2 years with an accompanying $4M+ cap hit might turn into be a bad deal.
Agreed. Anything more than a $4.5M cap hit on Doan has to be for 2 years max.

Topper wrote: Doan for 2yrs at Kesler $'s, include Burrows with Bobby Lou for Heberdeau a role guy and 2nd or 3rd pick.

Burrows and Lou help the Panthers immediately and for a few years to come.

Doan becomes a placeholder until Heberdeau steps up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTDM3AQQf6o
You've mentioned trading Burrows a few times now, I'm curious as to why? My take on him is that he is the "unofficial" beating heart of the core here in Vancouver. So are you thinking move him because he is a very valuable asset that we may not be able to afford come contract time next year? Or because you think he puts any trade involving Luongo over the top and maximizes the return?

BTW, apparently the Panthers have said that Huberdeau (as nice as it would be to get him) is not on the market.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm hearing Canucks are high on his list if he decides to leave Phoenix but he is also very very high on LA and a chance to win there.
Thanks HW.

The Kings make a whole lot of sense given how close it is to Phoenix, and that they just won the cup.

I don't think the bitter playoff series between the 'Yotes and Kings will deter Doan from going to LA.

Adrian Dater from the Denver post cites news out of San Jose that Doan is also interested in San Jose.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012/07 ... rks/11076/

LA, San Jose and the Canucks.

Those are probably the three top teams on his "list."

We'll see if MG and Gillman can complete the sell job.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I'm hearing Canucks are high on his list if he decides to leave Phoenix but he is also very very high on LA and a chance to win there.
Thanks HW.

The Kings make a whole lot of sense given how close it is to Phoenix, and that they just won the cup.

I don't think the bitter playoff series between the 'Yotes and Kings will deter Doan from going to LA.

Adrian Dater from the Denver post cites news out of San Jose that Doan is also interested in San Jose.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012/07 ... rks/11076/

LA, San Jose and the Canucks.

Those are probably the three top teams on his "list."

We'll see if MG and Gillman can complete the sell job.

Doan will be in Kelowna I think at a golf tournament this weekend. I am sure he will get asked a lot of questions and I am sure he will speak to other players around the league and seek input. Keith Seabrook and he are apparently good friends, no he is not considering Chicago, but it may influence his decision on Vancouver. I was told tonight that the general perception around the league re Vancouver is that our window has passed us by and players are not looking at us to contend, or at least not as a favourite to contend anymore.

I was distressed when i heard this and I swear all I could think about was RD being right all along :D :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Doan will be in Kelowna I think at a golf tournament this weekend. I am sure he will get asked a lot of questions and I am sure he will speak to other players around the league and seek input. Keith Seabrook and he are apparently good friends, no he is not considering Chicago, but it may influence his decision on Vancouver. I was told tonight that the general perception around the league re Vancouver is that our window has passed us by and players are not looking at us to contend, or at least not as a favourite to contend anymore.

I was distressed when i heard this and I swear all I could think about was RD being right all along :D :D
Not really, HW. Has more to do with everyone being in total denial. Even Mike Gillis, not to long ago, has said that the window is closing quickly on this group, I mean hell...am I the only who realizes how old the Sedins are? When I last looked, professional sports is a young mans game. This is the first time in a while where we have no presence of the 'next coming'. We had a good run starting with the Bure/Linden era in which the Naslund/Bertuzzi era took over from them in which the Sedins took over from them. Ain't no star power taking over for the Sedins by the time they start to show their age, that is, unless you consider Kassian and Gaunce star material. I don't think so.

It pains me but I see some dark years in couple years, with the downside of the peak starting this season, especially with how strong the future outlook looks for division rivals the Oilers, Wild and Avalanche. Everyone talks about Suter and Parise in Minnesota but what the Wilds amazing prospects in Granlund (probably best prospect in the NHL), Coyle and Brolin and this years draft - Dumba. The Canucks have zero answer for Granlund, Coyle and Brolin in the way of prospects. I think the Nucks and Flames will be bottom feeders in our division for a good while. This is my beef with Gillis, he has done a shit job with the 'futures' part of this organization. Hands down, the worst in the league over the last 4 years.

It's key for Gillis to re-stock the shelves of our 'futures' with the Luongo trade. I'd feel a lot better if Bjugstad was in our fold and something else like Howden but I may be dreaming there.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau