The mildly ridiculous trade proposals thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: The mildly ridiculous trade proposals thread

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: We know offers were made to Suter and one can only imagine the same type of deal has likely been offered to Weber. What's he waiting for?
He's negotiating a 10-year contract with the Edler camp (nice guy that Gillis).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Come now, do you really think Bieksa would waive to go to a Suter-less Weber-less Nashville? :hmmm:
Do you really think Alexander 'Country and Western' Edler will re-sign to play in Nashville and do you not think that Poile anticipates this sort of scenario with Edler? I would say that Poile is well versed in the area losing defenseman to free agency. I would say you would have a better chance of convincing Bieksa to waive his no movement clause to play in Nashville than you would convincing Poile to go down the UFA route with Edler after one season of his services after just losing Suter.
Hey buddy I'm just here to show how ridiculous it is to anticipate a Bieksa-to-Nashville trade!

(btw if a highly unlikely Edler-to-Nashville trade were to ever occur, Poile would be allowed negotiate a contract first)
Bieksa waiving his no movement clause to Nashville is not as ridiculous as Edler re-signing to play in Nashville next summer. Bieksa' contract price and length is very desirable to other GM's. Players can always be convinced to waive for certain teams wanting their services, it's all about being wanted isn't it? Edler's upcoming UFA is not desirable at all. So teams will not give up a lot for Edler and Gillis won't let Edler go for nothing. Trading Edler for Weber does not put Poile in a better situation, the song will remain the same for him in that scenario.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I hope the new CBA restricts the number of NTC/NMC's that a team can have. Be nice if they were limited to 3-5.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Hey buddy I'm just here to show how ridiculous it is to anticipate a Bieksa-to-Nashville trade!

(btw if a highly unlikely Edler-to-Nashville trade were to ever occur, Poile would be allowed negotiate a contract first)
Bieksa waiving his no movement clause to Nashville is not as ridiculous as Edler re-signing to play in Nashville next summer. Bieksa' contract price and length is very desirable to other GM's. Players can always be convinced to waive for certain teams wanting their services, it's all about being wanted isn't it? Edler's upcoming UFA is not desirable at all. So teams will not give up a lot for Edler and Gillis won't let Edler go for nothing. Trading Edler for Weber does not put Poile in a better situation, the song will remain the same for him in that scenario.
I only came into this thread to say it's ridiculous to propose a Bieksa-to-Nashville trade.

I did not come here to argue degrees of ridiculousness. :eh:

You don't see able to grasp the fact that Edler can be signed to a new contract... today.
____
Try to focus on someday.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

]
What I find funny about your post is you actually find value in any Canuck player.[/quote]

How do we win two President's trophies and have scoring champs if none of our players have value. This is an example of the worst kind of bandwagon jumping. :? :? If you feel like that why bother at all?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Hey buddy I'm just here to show how ridiculous it is to anticipate a Bieksa-to-Nashville trade!

I only came into this thread to say it's ridiculous to propose a Bieksa-to-Nashville trade.

I did not come here to argue degrees of ridiculousness. :eh:

You don't see able to grasp the fact that Edler can be signed to a new contract... today.
Uh, yes Doc, I am well aware of the fact that Edler can be signed like yesterday.

i don't know, Doc. I seemed to be under the impression that if Edler was traded to Nashville in some sort of Weber deal that everyone is going on about that it's a done deal for Poile to re-sign him when he becomes a UFA. I would think that Poile would have as much luck re-signing the Swede to stay in Nashville as he did Suter. I would say that this would be a major co concern for Poile, trading for an Edler who is on the verge of becoming a UFA. IMO, due to age and potential, Edler is worth keeping ahead of Bieksa and that Bieksa's contract makes him more appealling to the likes of a team like Nashville, THAT IS, if ya could get him to waive his NMC/NTC whatever. Anyhow, silly argument really.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

here is my ridiculous trade proposal

To Toronto Luongo,Tanev,Raymond
To Van Bozak,Kadri,Franson Komisarek and a 3rd
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

paddy wrote:here is my ridiculous trade proposal

You're a leaves fan right, because no Canuck fan would accept that collection of garbage for Luo, never mind Tanev and Raymond as well.
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

Canuck-One wrote:

You're a leaves fan right, because no Canuck fan would accept that collection of garbage for Luo, never mind Tanev and Raymond as well.
Derrrrr-yl Sutter would be all over it, though.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

Canuck-One wrote:

Cody Franson is a better defenseman than the great Chris Tanev I know its had to believe cuz Tanev does so much, very well like he is great at the ??? part of the game... And he adds???? to our team...
Tanev will never be any more than a 5/6 cuz he does nothing WELL enough to be anymore than that...
career Tanev stats... 54 games 0 goals 3 assists +10
career Franson.... 198games 19 goals 52 assists +24
Franson is 6'5 220 PHYSICAL and a BC boy I will take his trash any day of the week over Tanev and twice on Sundays...

Tyler Bozak scored 18 goals last year as a pivot had 47 points sidenote Raymonds career high is 53 pts thats 6 points shy of 21's career season that he will never hit here again...

Tyler Bozak salary 1.6 as a center who can fill in for Kesler and then slides down to the 3 hole And you have a problem with this player or this scenario because???? One man's garbage is another mans treasure... Keep hearing how the Canucks need a shutdown center as a 3rd liner This team needs more Offense... Bozak gives you Cody #s and is a better skater....
Kadri is strictly a flyer a guy that given a change of scenery is a young forward with decent hands he isn't Raymond but he is cheaper... Komisarek is strictly bringing back salary which whomever takes Lou will send Salary back

Its a ridiculous trade proposal but whats also ridiculous is Roberto Luongo's stats compared to Theodore's(go compare their #s) and thinking Florida is giving up ANYTHING when their stats are almost the same in every category except in Salary and term...
The team that makes the most sense is Toronto...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I think Paddy was paddy whacked by Brian Burke....
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

paddy wrote:
... whats also ridiculous is Roberto Luongo's stats compared to Theodore's(go compare their #s) and thinking Florida is giving up ANYTHING when their stats are almost the same in every category except in Salary and term...
Luongo has been more consistent, and has better career stats.

Luongo: 33, 2011-12 reg season sv% 0.919 55GP; career reg season sv% 0.919; playoffs sv% 0.916
Theodore: 35, 2011-12 reg season sv% 0.917 53GP; career reg season sv% 0.909; playoffs sv% 0.912

How much the difference is worth, is another matter.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

clem wrote:
paddy wrote:
... whats also ridiculous is Roberto Luongo's stats compared to Theodore's(go compare their #s) and thinking Florida is giving up ANYTHING when their stats are almost the same in every category except in Salary and term...

Luongo: 33, 2011-12 reg season sv% 0.919 55GP; career reg season sv% 0.919; playoffs sv% 0.916
Theodore: 35, 2011-12 reg season sv% 0.917 53GP; career reg season sv% 0.909; playoffs sv% 0.912

Luongo is better but given the circumstances i.e cap hit i.e Jakob Markstrrom where is the deal in Florida??? Please help me undestand how Dale Talon takes on a 5.3 Mil cap hit fo the next 7-10 yrs on a 33 yr old goalie and has his version of Coy Schneider sit that long and on top of it gives up Pospects and picks...

As opposed to let his guy Theodore play one more yr, at 1.5 and, let his version of Cory Schneider wait it out 1 yr and then turn it over to Markstrom...

I don't see the pressure in Florida to make a deal
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

paddy wrote:
clem wrote:
paddy wrote:

Luongo is better but given the circumstances i.e cap hit i.e Jakob Markstrrom where is the deal in Florida??? Please help me undestand how Dale Talon takes on a 5.3 Mil cap hit fo the next 7-10 yrs on a 33 yr old goalie and has his version of Coy Schneider sit that long and on top of it gives up Pospects and picks...

As opposed to let his guy Theodore play one more yr, at 1.5 and, let his version of Cory Schneider wait it out 1 yr and then turn it over to Markstrom...

I don't see the pressure in Florida to make a deal
All four games that the Panthers lost in the first round were by ONE goal. The "marginal" difference between Theodore and Luongo could be enough to push the Panthers past the Devils to the second round. The same "marginal" difference could be huge when you talk about it in the playoffs.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

paddy wrote:Tyler Bozak scored 18 goals last year as a pivot had 47 points sidenote Raymonds career high is 53 pts thats 6 points shy of 21's career season that he will never hit here again...
Speaking of things that will never be achieved again, the 16.5% shooting percentage and almost 19:00 minutes per game (nearly 3:00 on the powerplay) playing mostly with his team's top two forwards that got Bozak to 18 goals.
Tyler Bozak salary 1.6 as a center who can fill in for Kesler and then slides down to the 3 hole And you have a problem with this player or this scenario because???? One man's garbage is another mans treasure... Keep hearing how the Canucks need a shutdown center as a 3rd liner This team needs more Offense... Bozak gives you Cody #s and is a better skater....
I'd take Bozak as the throw-in on a deal but I'm not convinced he'd be a better third line center in 2012-13 than Manny Malhotra.

Anyway you've posted a few times in a couple of threads along these lines and I want to address a couple of other aspects while I'm at it.

You can compare Jose Theodore in 2011-12 to Roberto Luongo in 2011-12 just like you can do the same with say, Tyler Bozak (73 GP 18 G 29 A 47 P) and Ryan Kesler (77 GP 22 G 27 A 49 P).. you can make the argument that they were comparable last year but surely nobody believes that there is any doubt as to who will be the more valuable player next year. Theodore put up a nice season last year but since the lockout he has three seasons at or under .900, two seasons around .910 (ie. sub-par) and two seasons above .915. Luongo has as many post-lockout seasons below the .915 mark as Theodore has above it.

And anyway, saying the Panthers couldn't accomodate Roberto Luongo because they have Jakob Markstrom is like saying the Maple leaves didn't need to trade for James Van Riemsdyk because one day Joe Colborne is going to make the team. It might be true - if Markstrom's health problems aren't a factor and he pans out as a starter - but years of instability in the meantime aren't acceptable for a team that needs to operate like a business - the Panthers can't sell out their building regardless of the on ice product like the leaves can.

I would agree at the end of the day that the leaves should be more desperate for Luongo than the Panthers are, but I don't think that's because Luongo is not a fit in Florida or anything like that.