The mildly ridiculous trade proposals thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The mildly ridiculous trade proposals thread

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:They could trade Crosby, MAF, re-sign Iginla and Morrow and fix all of their problems.
Somebody needs to tell Morrow and Iginla to hang up their skates, the game has long passed them by.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:They could trade Crosby, MAF, re-sign Iginla and Morrow and fix all of their problems.
Somebody needs to tell Morrow and Iginla to hang up their skates, the game has long passed them by.
True dat, but Iguana has hardly changed looks-wise in all these years amirite?

Here he is with Phil Housley in his rookie season with the Flames (playoffs 1996)

Dude hasn't changed one bit!
____
Try to focus on someday.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Having a little fun:

Move 1: Trade Alex Edler + 24th overall pick for Sean Couturier + 11th overall pick (Draft Hunter Shinkaruk)

Move 2: Trade Roberto Luongo for Rick Dipietro + Nino Niederreiter + 2nd round pick. Compliance buy-out DiPietro and

Move 3: Offersheet Kevin Shattenkirk (5 years, $31.5M) (if this gets matched then throw an offersheet to Alex Pietrangelo).

Remaining moves: Fill out the roster with lower end FA's. I target Sanguinetti and Benoit because I like their puck moving skillset, and I've always liked Montoya as a goalie.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Nino Niederreiter ($2.795m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.000m) / Chris Higgins ($2.500m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Kevin Shattenkirk ($6.300m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Andre Benoit ($0.650m) / Bobby Sanguinetti ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Al Montoya ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
Buyout: Rick DiPietro ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,846,111; BONUSES: $2,537,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $991,389
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:Shane O'Brien was a complete buffoon, he had his moments but for a fringe player who should be playing the part of goon when needed, he was pretty dismal.

Not an effective enough hockey player to claim he's too good to get his hands dirty, not good enough at getting his hands dirty to justify his poor play.

Frankly I find it shocking that some Canucks fans are clamoring to get this goof back in the fold.. better the poison you know I guess.. is he even an upgrade on Andrew Alberts at this point?

I'll always remember during one of the Blackhawks series collapses (the second one I think) when the Canucks were starting to take frustration penalties and SOB decided it was worth two minutes for a half-hearted shove of the helmet of a Blackhawk he'd been tangled up with. At least get full value if you're going to take a stupid penalty..
O'Brien was as much a casualty of Vigneault as he was of his own brain. I will be the first to admit he's an air head at times out there, but no more than Edler. SOB takes stupid penalties, Edler makes decisions that result in blown coverage and goals against. O'Brien brings that nasty edge we need, and in Colorado he hasn't been reigned in by Vigneault. It seemed like every time he got his hands dirty after someone ran Luongo he would find himself a healthy scratch the next game.

Your example of the penalty in the Blackhawks game is poor, the Canucks always seemed to get nailed for something weak like that when the Hawks were getting away with the exact same shit at the other end. Still seems to be the case whenever and wherever we play. Regardless, by the time we were playing the Hawks in the playoffs O'Brien had been neutered by AV and likely was only going half-heartedly after people in scrums. But whatever.

I won't speak to his conditioning, I remember it being poor when he showed up one pre-season.

Regardless, I'm talking about a trade that fills a potential hole on the bottom pairing and frees up $3M worth of cap space.

Is he an adequate upgrade on Alberts? I think so. I think he's got better mobility. He hits just as hard, and to be honest his stick skills are fairly underrated due to his reputation. He has a bad rep, I'll give you that.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I'm really not sure what the hype is around here when it comes to Sean Couturier. The guy is essentially the next Ryan Kesler.....at best. Look at his stats, I won't get into the +/- because he was playing in front of Bryzgalov, but still, I don't get it at all. I've watched him play a few games this year, wasn't impressed with his skating or general hockey sense in the offensive zone.

Drafting Hunter Shinkaruk? Pass thanks. Had a couple of decent years in the WHL, last season was a brutal fall off in production for him. He's also lacking in size. I'd prefer not to make a trade that lands us outside of the top 3, certainly not out of the top 5.

I prefer Barkov if we are out of the top 3. He's a Finnish-Ruskie, and has the size for the NHL game. Is apparently an excellent playmaker and good on his skates. Most Scandinavians seem to need a year or two to adjust to the North American game, so it's always a risk, but in general I think that most Swedish and Finnish players are up for the at least trying to meet the challenge. Russians go home. Seeing as he's a mix of both who knows what he has in store for whoever gets him.

Jonathan Drouin is also worth looking at (obviously). Some say he could be a prolific scorer in the NHL, others say he could just as easily go the way of Rob Schremp.....great hands, good speed, unable to handle the rigors of the physical NHL game. The knock I've read on him has been that he's not a good 2-way player. Go figure, he's a young kid playing the wing in the QMJHL. I was impressed with his speed, stick handling, and scoring prowess at the WJC this year. He was also no slouch when it came to pick opponent's pockets and hustling back. The only reason I take him after MacKinnon and Barkov is because he's not a center, and we need that. However, he's the kind of young talent that might be worth having if you can get a decent center and run the risk of hoping that Kassian can develop and a few years from now we have the next West Coast Express....this time an All-Canadian version of it with a more talented pivot in the middle. :P
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote:O'Brien was as much a casualty of Vigneault as he was of his own brain. I will be the first to admit he's an air head at times out there, but no more than Edler. SOB takes stupid penalties, Edler makes decisions that result in blown coverage and goals against. O'Brien brings that nasty edge we need, and in Colorado he hasn't been reigned in by Vigneault. It seemed like every time he got his hands dirty after someone ran Luongo he would find himself a healthy scratch the next game.

I won't speak to his conditioning, I remember it being poor when he showed up one pre-season.

Is he an adequate upgrade on Alberts? I think so. I think he's got better mobility. He hits just as hard, and to be honest his stick skills are fairly underrated due to his reputation. He has a bad rep, I'll give you that.
Yeah, I agree. Say what u want about SOB, but he has good size and he's very tough. He's also a great team player as he's willing to stand up for his teammates. Sure he has some baggage as he is a bit of a air head at times and may not have the best attitude, but I think the pros outweights the cons. I would agree that he's a pretty good stick handler too, but we probably won't be getting him for that reason. *hehe*
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The last thing any pro team needs is a side show of a player as their 6th/7th defenseman. I’ll take the big and steady Alberts who played the last half of this past season over SOB 100 times out of 100.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Here's my trade proposal,

Swap uniforms with the Boston Bruins
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

PHI: Edler/Luo
VAN: Schenn 1 and Schenn 2, 1st rounder (2013)
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

ukcanuck wrote:Here's my trade proposal,

I'd rather swap players.

:wink:
2011..... the one that got away.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

:roll:

Um yeah the Pens won't be trading the face of the NHL. The Kid is a license to print money.

Oh yeah and he's by far the best player in the world so there's that too.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Here's my trade proposal,

I'd rather swap players.

:wink:
Lol yeah that too :)
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Aaronp18 wrote:PHI: Edler/Luo
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: In a flash
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aaronp18 wrote:PHI: Edler/Luo
Luke Schenn is a waste of cap space, extremely overrated...but would take his brother and the 1st rounder.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Here's my new big ass team, added bfugly, just three trades with Jets/Ducks/Panthers.
Juice doesn't have to be the only tough guy back there.
Penner can play anywhere on the top 3 lines.

We'll be the San Antonio Spurs of the NHL, big and talented, steamrolling teams.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Ryan Kesler Higgins
Penner Matthias Hansen
Sestito Lain Parros/Gaunce
Volpatti

Garrison Byfuglien
Hamhuis Bieksa
Allen Tanev
Corrado

Schneider
________
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.