The mildly ridiculous trade proposals thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

surreal78

The mildly ridiculous trade proposals thread

Post by surreal78 »

Alrighty, since we're entering the doldrums of summer and it's friggin' hot as a convection oven in my apartment right now, I was thinking a little levity might lighten the mood.

Since we're doing a whole lot of trade speculation in other threads, and I don't see any "official" speculation thread, here we go.

My first suggestion: Ales Hemsky (EDM) for Keith Ballard (VAN) + a mid-round pick

Before you crap all over this one (and I know Hemsky is nearly as injury prone as Sami Salo), here's the basic thinking:

- Oil needs defensive help badly
- Van could use a decent setup man on the 2nd line
- Salaries & contracts aren't particularly far apart (Ballard $4.2m & 3 years let, Hemsky $5m & 2 years left)
- Hemsky probably needs out of Edmonchuk as much as Ballard needs out of Vancity

I know they both have their warts, but could this scenario make sense for both teams and both players?

I've also seen suggestions of Hjalmarsson for Gagner, so this is basically along the same lines.

Thoughts? Other proposals welcome, just keep them reasonably non-ridiculous. 8-)
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: The mildly ridiculous trade proposals thread

Post by CFP! »

I would consider an Edler trade, if we had Weber in the wings.

To Van
Gudbranson
Theodore
pick

To FLA
Edler
Luo

*IF we had Weber in our wings*
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I find it funny how everyone is quick to ship Edler off to the pastures after a little spell of struggling with his game when just before that people were calling him a future Norris Trophy winner. How quickly you fall out of favor in this city. Sort of reminds me how everyone was trading Bieksa like no tomorrow prior to Salo blowing out his achilles. Much to the chagrin of all his detractors, Bieksa goes out and his best season ever.

I think Ballard is going to the Islanders for Josh Bailley. However, I think no trade happens until Gillis gets word from the Weber/Poile negotiations that Weber will test UFA after this season, in which I see that dragging out all summer, even into next season. Then I think Poile will let the flood gates open on trade offers if Weber don't sign with Nashville. I think this is what is stalling the Luongo trade. I'm seeing a three-way trade somewhere here, involving Florida, that being said, I think Gillis will have serious competition for the services of Weber, we just got a hope that Weber limits Poile's options by only willing to waive for a few teams, one of them being us. I think there is more to it than Gillis not being happy with what Toronto and Florida are offering. Florida has no serious need for a Luongo, but they are the one with lots to offer which is the exact opposite of Burkes situation in Toronto. He needs Luongo badly but he doesn't have a lot of interesting parts to part with other than Gardiner in which it's becoming clear that Burke does not want to trade him.

I would dearly love to see Booth traded as you all know, but there is no market for him. Ugly contract, amount and term and too flakey, one dimensional and lackluster and passionless.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm seeing a three-way trade somewhere here, involving Florida, that being said, I think Gillis will have serious competition for the services of Weber, we just got a hope that Weber limits Poile's options by only willing to waive for a few teams, one of them being us.
As much as I'd love to see a 3-way trade (they are fun to dissect), it's pretty damned rare. Outside of Downie/Quincey/1st last year (which was more of a late flip than a 3-way), I really don't remember the last time it happened with anyone of significance. Realistically, if you want Weber, Edler is going to be the first piece of the deal from our end (among many.)
RoyalDude wrote:I would dearly love to see Booth traded as you all know, but there is no market for him. Ugly contract, amount and term and too flakey, one dimensional and lackluster and passionless.
Alright Dude, I'll play. I'm neutral on the guy, but I know you've got a hate-on for him. :devil: Where do you ship Booth, and for what return?
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

CFP! wrote:I would consider an Edler trade, if we had Weber in the wings.

To Van
Gudbranson
Theodore
pick

To FLA
Edler
Luo

*IF we had Weber in our wings*

This trade proposal is a joke right? You would give up an all-star goalie and a potential Norris Trophy D for a first year D and a past his best date goalie????????????? This is exactly what I mean when I say that some of you guys under value the Canuck players.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

RoyalDude wrote:I find it funny how everyone is quick to ship Edler off to the pastures after a little spell of struggling with his game when just before that people were calling him a future Norris Trophy winner. .
Edler is our most coveted piece on the back end.

I dont want to move him, but I never want to move Bert or Linden either. If you have Weber in the wings *so to speak* signing a LTC through trade or FA then Edler is expendable. Thats the only way you move him. Not bcs he may---be a future struggling norris winner............

What I find funny about your post is you actually find value in any Canuck player.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Canuck-One wrote:

This trade proposal is a joke right? You would give up an all-star goalie and a potential Norris Trophy D for a first year D and a past his best date goalie????????????? This is exactly what I mean when I say that some of you guys under value the Canuck players.
Your post has many "possibilities".

Weber has at least been a candidate and after being on the Luo supportive bandwagon since he came here I am now only willing to listen to moving him after he announced on the FOX (which I regularly listen to) that he was on his way out.

Lots of posters throwing everyone into the same pot here.

Edit: sorry for the ros.
Last edited by CFP! on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

Wow.

In the space of an 45 minutes and one reply, this became another Shea Weber thread.

:lol:

My mildly ridiculous (possibly brain-damaged) proposal:

To MTL: Ballard, Raymond
To VAN: Gomez, Yannick Weber, Jarred Tinordi

Monteal is desperate to offload Gomez. Gillis uses that leverage to turn two of our spare parts into a decent young right-shooting defenceman (Weber) and the player he always wanted instead of Ballard (Tinordi)

We audition Gomez as our 2nd line centre and wait to see if he can click on a line with Kesler; if Gomez can play a reasonable two-way game then he's at least as viable an option as Ebbett or Schroeder.
Last edited by CaptainTrev on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

CaptainTrev wrote:Wow.

In the space of an 45 minutes and one reply, this became another Shea Weber thread.

:lol:
*bump*
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I get it, trying to confine Farhan to ONE THREAD eh! :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hemsky for Ballard is an interesting trade idea. Would help meet some of the needs on both teams and both guys could probably use a change in scenery.
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

Strangelove wrote:I get it, trying to confine Farhan to ONE THREAD eh! :wink:
Nah, I'd love to see Shea Weber in a Canucks uniform as much as anyone. Haven't actually noticed any new threads from Farhan lately....just tired of all these "what ifs" We've got enough of those with Luongo.

Wake me when SOMETHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS! A bold move, if you will. :lol:

And no, FLA's President being in Vegas does not count :)
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:I get it, trying to confine Farhan to ONE THREAD eh! :wink:
He said 'mildly' not inanely incompetent 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Did Schneider get a NTC?

If not, has his value increased even more now that he's signed to a contract for the foreseeable future?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

vic wrote:Did Schneider get a NTC?

If not, has his value increased even more now that he's signed to a contract for the foreseeable future?

Having a similar thought process I tried to look this up after he signed and could find no evidence that there was a NTC/NMC at all.

Cap Geek indicates none.

Having said that I think it's clear they have elected to go with Cory as their #1 and did so some time ago.

As I am sure you already know.
DeLevering since 1999.