Semin

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

surreal78

Semin

Post by surreal78 »

Heard plenty of opposing opinions lately on Mr. Semin. Are your Canucks interested, or do GMMG's "character" rules come into play?

Since he's likely to sign in the next day or two, let's get a little speculation going. Not like there's anything better to do, right? :twisted:

Want him? Don't want him? Cancer in the room, misunderstood genius, or simply invisible? 40-goal guy or 20-goal guy?

My own personal hunch is that either DET or NJD signs him to short (1-2 yr) deal at $5-6m per to make up for theIr various losses... although the Rangers are always a safe bet. Could always be a wild card, though, but it seems to me having a big-ticket Russian already on-board will probably be a major factor. Although I don't see PIT going for him.

Predictions, educated guesses, and utter bullshit speculation all welcome.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Re: Semin

Post by CrzyCanuck »

I'm willing to take a gamble on Semin.

1 year 5.5 mill, do it!

But I'm betting Detroit will get him signed and he'll somehow flourish there by scoring 35+ goals.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Depending on Gillis' evaluation of Semin's personality and fit in the locker room, I'd be happy with Semin on a one-year contract. He will have a huge chip on his shoulder similar to Ortiz with the BoSox, so he may be pretty motivated to produce and win. If he does and doesn't mess up the dressing room, sign him to a richer offer but at least Gillis can say he gave Semin a chance.

That said, he will likely wait until the Nashes, Ryans, etc get sorted out so his agent can max out what they can get from the those who lost out on the trade bidding wars. Hopefully Gillis won't be one of them.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

No way Semin accepts a 1yr deal IMO. He'll bolt to the K!

The net is buzzing saying he's pondering 4+ year offers (Det and Pitts) in the 5m+ range.

I don't "think" he'd be a good fit but a pure goal scorer with the Sedin's could be sickening. He produces a shit load of offence. Attitude and back checking... not so much. :wink:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think his production could really suffer going from the Southeast division to the Western Conference (where there was just one player among the league's top ten scorers).

I also seem to recall hearing that even now after six years on this side of the pond he basically has to use an interpreter to communicate.

Other than that if MG and the rest of the Canucks brass (with some consultation from, or at least consideration of, AV) think he passes the smell test I'd take Semin for sure. He's maybe the best playmaker left and it's not even his strongest attribute, and I am guessing he gets way underpaid for his skill level.

If he ends up in a situation that's good for him (and playing on Datsyuk or Malkin's wing most definitely would be) then he should be able to string a few pretty productive seasons together.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I'd want him, but not on anything more than a 2 year deal, not locked in for 4 years. And from the sounds of it, if he is getting 4 year offers, hard to see him accepting 2. I think the Canucks would actually be a decent spot for him. He'd be a top 6 guy. He'd play probably on the 2nd line, letting the Sedins handle the first pairing D, and he'd get PP time. I would hope he'd be a little more motivated after getting torched in the media, but who knows if he cares. Either way, for the right deal, sure, bring him aboard, give it a whirl, the talent is there, but not for the wrong deal. I bet he ends up with the Wings; they have enough vets like Datsyuk to keep Semin in line I think, and having lost out on Suter they'll want to do something...
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Forget about him playing with the Sedins ... that would leave our #1 line with no grit whatsoever. He could be that playmaker we need on the Kesler line though.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

ODB wrote:The net is buzzing saying he's pondering 4+ year offers (Det and Pitts) in the 5m+ range.
Likely 'Plan B' deals in case those teams lose out on the likes of Nash or Ryan. I wager those deals will happen or officially end before he signs unless those teams realize along the way that they're not in the running. So many inter-connected issues...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

I think he would be a great fit talent-wise on our team, as IMO we need more real skill on our team... I admittedly haven't watched him much, but know he has sick offensive skills but has been saddled with the "Russian player" stereotypes. I would actually like to see Gillis take a gamble on a player like this once in a while, if it doesn't go well then trade him, even if its for a 7th round pick it wouldn't have taken any assets to acquire him so you are only losing out on money paid.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Lotsa talent. Flakey.

Plays well when he feels like it.

He & AV would get along great. :look:
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

It would be a bold move IMO!

Something a team like say LA would have done last summer.

LA showed big balls last year and it paid off big time.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

If Semin would take a heavy incentive package with little base pay it could work out great. Else, after floaty days, he'd get nailed to the pine by AV. Worst case incentive pay outs would tie up lots of cap, but we got cap space.

When he wants to play, he's a good shot blocker, as well as having sick offensive talent.

However, he doesn't seem to fit the 'character' that Gillis has been selling.
Last edited by clem on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The only players that can have performance bonuses in their contracts are those on entry level deals and those meeting very specific requirements - I believe they are tied to age and games missed the previous season due to injury, so for a 28 year old who played 77 games last year it's probably not an option.

Besides, if Semin wants to have his pay docked after nights where he phones it in he could get that kind of treatment in the KHL.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

For those type of dollars, I'd prefer to give use it on Shane Doan. However, I must admit that Semin has more offensive upside.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

dbr wrote:The only players that can have performance bonuses in their contracts are those on entry level deals and those meeting very specific requirements - I believe they are tied to age and games missed the previous season due to injury, so for a 28 year old who played 77 games last year it's probably not an option.

Besides, if Semin wants to have his pay docked after nights where he phones it in he could get that kind of treatment in the KHL.
The age constraint surprised me.

Allowing that bonuses need to be capped in each contract, performance bonuses would make things more interesting. But I don't like the wording of the Kovalchuck rules either.

If Semin wants to phone it in, he's welcome to go elsewhere. If incentives are high enough he might not phone it in.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366