Wild agree to terms with Suter and Parise

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Wild agree to terms with Suter and Parise

Post by ukcanuck »

what about instead of lowballing Poile we go straight up Weber for Kesler??
(as he quickly ducks behind the bar to avoid the flying glass...)
swapping potential Captains and team MVPs is something Poile can sell to is ticket holders and while it leaves a huge hole to fill on the second line it would give us an absolute awesome Defense corp and perhaps Luongo could bring a second line centre as a return?

:stupid:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ukcanuck wrote:what about instead of lowballing Poile we go straight up Weber for Kesler??
swapping potential Captains and team MVPs is something Poile can sell to is ticket holders and while it leaves a huge hole to fill on the second line it would give us an absolute awesome Defense corp and perhaps Luongo could bring a second line centre as a return?

Kesler + a pick for Weber might work. However, it will be pretty hard to find a good second line centre to play after Henrik... Will Weber sign a long term contract with the Canucks with no real second line centreman??
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I think others have mentioned that Weber holds all the cards.

He has been free to talk to other teams since July 1.

He will probably decide any day where he's signing as a UFA in one year.

He will probably inform that team.... as well as Nahville.

The Chosen Team would then hold all the leverage.

The only leverage Poile would have is of the "we can trade the Chosen One to you a year early" variety.

That's the way I see it, I could be wrong.

I just hope he CHOO CHOO CHOOSES your Vancouver Canucks! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:I think others have mentioned that Weber holds all the cards.

The only leverage Poile would have is of the "we can trade the Chosen One to you a year early" variety.

Wouldnt that constitute tampering on the part of the team that listens to Weber tell them he wants to sign with them once his current contract expires? I mean I'm no lawyer, but f I were a Soprano somebody would be wind up in a hole in the desert over that one...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tampering involves talking to players currently under contract with another team - if I'm not mistaken.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:
Strangelove wrote:I think others have mentioned that Weber holds all the cards.

Wouldnt that constitute tampering on the part of the team that listens to Weber tell them he wants to sign with them once his current contract expires? I mean I'm no lawyer, but f I were a Soprano somebody would be wind up in a hole in the desert over that one...
Upon actually reading the doc's post, which clearly states he is free to talk to other teams (as a RFA I assume)....nevermind :oops:
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Jovocop wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:what about instead of lowballing Poile we go straight up Weber for Kesler??

Kesler + a pick for Weber might work. However, it will be pretty hard to find a good second line centre to play after Henrik... Will Weber sign a long term contract with the Canucks with no real second line centreman??
Losing Kesler (+ lots) for Weber is a dumbass move. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. We end up with a gaping hole at centre worse than we have now and a glut of defenders.

If we do anything to get Webs (as unlikely as that may be), it's Edler (and more) going the other way, otherwise why would Nashville bother? And there's no way Poile accepts all of our shit leftovers (Raymond AND Ballard??) as part of any deal... time to lay off the crack pipe.

And what the hell is with all the country references in here? There's a reason we're not Flames fans. Yeesh. Have some self-respect.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

trading Kesler + a pick for Weber might create a bigger hole on the team, given how shallow our depth at C already is.
Unless you want to go back to the 2003 Canucks... then I guess you can trade him for Weber and plug 2nd-4th line with checkers, or in Dude's words, offensively challenged players, or, garbage players.

For some reason I think the Canucks should be cautious about acquiring Weber.

I don't want to see MG selling the whole farm, or our near future just for Weber.

Is Weber a franchise player? Perhaps. Is he a top 5 Defenceman in the league? Yes. Can he get us the Cup? I honestly don't know.

Nothing is certain in today's NHL

Call me a pathetic masochist, but I'd rather getting teased every year by our team's impressive performance than giving up the team's future to get the Cup once.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Strangelove wrote: I just hope he CHOO CHOO CHOOSES your Vancouver Canucks! :thumbs:

We all do. Unfortunately I think when you slow things down you'll be able to pin point exactly where all of our hearts break....
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

tantalum wrote:
Strangelove wrote: I just hope he CHOO CHOO CHOOSES your Vancouver Canucks! :thumbs:

We all do. Unfortunately I think when you slow things down you'll be able to pin point exactly where all of our hearts break....
Truthfully, I hope that Weber chooses the Preds - I like to think there's at least a couple of players out there who will be like Shane Doan and stick in their small market. The Rick Nash, Chris Pronger, Ryan Suter types are getting to me - hockey's almost becoming like basketball where everyone wants to play for the same 5 teams.

Guess we will see, I'm not sure which way this will go but I have a feeling Weber will want out as well. That team looks pretty horrible without Suter and Weber, even with Rinne in net.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Well, I think the Parise and Suter to the Wild result counters the same five team theory a bit Diehard but the crux of your point has been made made.

Truthfully I hope Weber chooses the Canucks.
DeLevering since 1999.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

donlever wrote:Truthfully I hope Weber chooses the Canucks.
+1

As a UFA... I don't want to see our team gutted to get him now..........
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

surreal78 wrote:Losing Kesler (+ lots) for Weber is a dumbass move. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. We end up with a gaping hole at centre worse than we have now and a glut of defenders.
Sad to say but the supply of worthy 2nd line centres is weak enough as it is without Gillis trading away the closest thing we have to one. You can compensate for a lack of a stud D-man with depth. Can't say the same for compensating for a true 2nd-line centre - especially the way AV uses his lines.

Straight-up, Kesler for Weber would be roughly even. Kesler's won more hardware and has done more in the playoffs than Weber. You can argue that with the current market landscape with supply and demand, Kesler is the more valuable commodity even if he's hurt.

There are better ways to do this deal.
donlever wrote:Truthfully I hope Weber chooses the Canucks.
That would give me cause for hope that it actually happens. All else said, it starts with him.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

surreal78 wrote:

If we do anything to get Webs (as unlikely as that may be), it's Edler (and more) going the other way, otherwise why would Nashville bother? And there's no way Poile accepts all of our shit leftovers (Raymond AND Ballard??) as part of any deal... time to lay off the crack pipe.

And what the hell is with all the country references in here? There's a reason we're not Flames fans. Yeesh. Have some self-respect.
I'll put down the crack pipe if you promise to remove your head from your ass. It's lodged so far up there you can lick your own ribs.

Ballard was a top 4 D-man for his first five years in the NHL until he arrived here. He isn't a "shit leftover", the dude needs a fresh start and he needs to be allowed to succeed in a role and not set up to fail. He is a LH D behind Hamhuis and Edler. He could be a top 4 D-man on half the teams in the league playing for a coaching stafff that doesn't take so much glee in fucking him repeatedly.

Raymond much as I dislike him ..... is a 15 goal top 9 forward who is defensively responsible. His situation gets blown out of proportion on here because the team is not overly big or physical and he adds nothing in that regard. On a team that's a bit bigger perhaps his shortcomings are overlooked. Again he is not a "shit leftover" . I'm sure you can find a post or ten of me bashing him but that's more to do with Pacific Blue and trying to bait him.

How Nicklas Jensen and or a 1st round pick is a "shit leftover" is beyond me.

I have no idea where you are headed with the country references and Bountiful. Over my head perhaps ..... :?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

CrzyCanuck wrote:Call me a pathetic masochist, but I'd rather getting teased every year by our team's impressive performance than giving up the team's future to get the Cup once.

truly a tweenage fan...