Wild agree to terms with Suter and Parise

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Wild agree to terms with Suter and Parise

Post by Zedlee »

Scintillator wrote:So, how soon does the League investigate the validity of these 13 year bizarro cap-circumventing contracts?
Clearly something suspicious going on up in Minn-haha.
Whitney, Jagr and Brodeur just signed and they are all 40+. Parise will be 41 and Suter 40 when these deals expire, so what is the problem? Legitimate contracts...the league will have no issue with them.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote: Finally, the domino has dropped.
Who's the next domino, Luongo or Nash?
Roberto Domino Luongo.

Good on the Wild for landing these two.

Finally they get the attention they've long-craved.

They like to consider the Canucks to be their big rival, well maybe their delusion just became a reality.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

Zedlee wrote:
Scintillator wrote:So, how soon does the League investigate the validity of these 13 year bizarro cap-circumventing contracts?
Clearly something suspicious going on up in Minn-haha.
Whitney, Jagr and Brodeur just signed and they are all 40+. Parise will be 41 and Suter 40 when these deals expire, so what is the problem? Legitimate contracts...the league will have no issue with them.
It depends on the spread between the fat years and the lean ones I suspect. Will have to see when the details of their contracts become public. If the last few years go 1-1-1 then the NHL might take issue.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Scintillator wrote:
It depends on the spread between the fat years and the lean ones I suspect. Will have to see when the details of their contracts become public. If the last few years go 1-1-1 then the NHL might take issue.

Take it with a grain of salt if you will but chinless Gord MIller tweeted the following...

Parise and Suter contracts both structured as follows: $12m, $12m, $11m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $8m, $6m, $2M, $1m, $1m. Average $7.5m

Somewhere in the back of my scrambled brain there is a memory of succeeding years not being allowed to decrease by more than half of the previous years value.

If that is the case Miller has fuked it up.
DeLevering since 1999.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

- The big losers are.. the Devils and the Preds. Losing these two blue chippers for nothing has got to hurt

- Surprised they didn't end up in Detroit. Motown is losing it's invincible aura.

- The Wild are very much improved because of this. Primarily, Heater now has better players to play with as well as answer to.

- Fantasy hockey became a lot more interesting.

- Nuck/Wild games became much more exciting.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

donlever wrote:
Take it with a grain of salt if you will but chinless Gord MIller tweeted the following...
Parise and Suter contracts both structured as follows: $12m, $12m, $11m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $8m, $6m, $2M, $1m, $1m. Average $7.5m

Somewhere in the back of my scrambled brain there is a memory of succeeding years not being allowed to decrease by more than half of the previous years value.

If that is the case Miller has fuked it up.
The Kovalchuk rules.

In any long-term contract that averages more than $5.75 million for the three highest-compensation seasons, the cap charge will be a minimum of $1 million for every season in which the player is 36-39 years of age. That $1 million value will then be used to determine the salary cap hit for the entire contract. If the contract takes the player into his 40s, the other rule goes into effect.

There’s another rule covering guys in their 40s, but these guys are 27.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536524
Last edited by clem on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

mathonwy wrote:
- Nuck/Wild games became much more exciting.
...and a part of the "premium game package" for seasons tickets holders.

Mo money, mo money, mo money....
DeLevering since 1999.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote: You gotta hope that Gillis is looking at the situation there and at least considering making a big splash for Weber. I can't see anyone else offering Poille something that would match Bieksa + Ballard + Raymond for Weber. Toss in a prospect or a pick too. I really would hate to see Juice go, but when it comes right down to it, I see Bieksa and Weber as very similar players, the difference being that Weber is bigger, more consistent, and always plays with that edge. Weber has a way bigger shot too.
Could it just be possible that the delay in Weber's contract is that he only wants a 1 yr deal (or watever will take him to UFA) and that he wants to play the season after in his home province?
Poile wants a long term deal and Weber is intent on one-and-done?

It's nice to see some quality players having pride in their home-province to want to play for the Canucks. Too bad we couldn't have had Sakik, Lucic, Kariya etc. :hmmm:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Orcasfan wrote: This is a big gamble for the owners of the Wild! Last year they spent $56 mil; this year they will up against the cap at $70 mil. That is an extra $14 mil or so...and, according to their owner, they are not making money...and he attributes that to the players' salaries! :shock: The economic reality in Minnesota these days is not pretty. This is a big gamble that Parise and Suter will fill the arena every night. We'll see. :hmmm:
I'd be interested in what the numbers look like (how many more tickets are sold at what price for full house in Fargo).

I'm NOT interested in doing the research however.

I'm actually hungover on a Wednesday, doesn't happen often.

Don't feel up to a run today, don't think coffee would be a great idea at this point.

Lord forgive me.... damn martinis.

Anywho, the numbers must make sense because twas the owners who pushed for these twin contracts.

Do they now raise ticket prices in Minny?
____
Try to focus on someday.
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

donlever wrote: Somewhere in the back of my scrambled brain there is a memory of succeeding years not being allowed to decrease by more than half of the previous years value.
My understanding of the 50% rule (I believe it's actually called the "100% rule" for some reason) is that the salary can not be reduced from one year to the next by more than 50% of the higher salary of the first 2 years. With respect to Parise's and Suter's contracts, they each make $12m/yr for the first 2 years so the maximum year to year reduction is $6m. Not a terribly restrictive rule in the case of these large contracts.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Because had Suter said these things last January then Poile may have traded the big guy and gotten a return. Same scenario with Hamhuis. Hamhuis only said he wanted to test FA but when he signed with the Canucks, actually left money on the table to do so, he said it was location that motivated him.
I think Poile needs to be less naive.

How many times has a high end player "tested" free agency only to return to their original team?

I'm not sure on the number but i'm sure it's either zero or very close to zero.

Suter didn't sign with the Preds because he had reservations about the team / city / or terms being offered. Poile had all the time in the world to flush out the issues and the fact that he couldn't get a deal done before July 1'st should have more or less confirmed that Suter was leaving.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote: You gotta hope that Gillis is looking at the situation there and at least considering making a big splash for Weber. I can't see anyone else offering Poille something that would match Bieksa + Ballard + Raymond for Weber.

Juice has a NTC, and I don't think there is a chance he would waive to to go to Nashville.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Mëds wrote: You gotta hope that Gillis is looking at the situation there and at least considering making a big splash for Weber. I can't see anyone else offering Poille something that would match Bieksa + Ballard + Raymond for Weber.

Juice has a NTC, and I don't think there is a chance he would waive to to go to Nashville.
Are we sure about that? Kesler's doesn't kick in until next year apparently, is Juice's the same?

If he cant work out a long term deal in the next 8 months I could see Poile hang onto Weber until next year's trade deadline, and then see where they are and/or what they could get.
A deadline trade for Weber could sure help a playoff team, and get some decent return for the Preds.
If Paul Gaustad was worth a 1st round pick, what would Weber be worth? :o
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Kesler's NTC did not kick in immediately because players are not eligible for NTCs until they are old enough to be UFA-eligible.

Bieksa is a couple of years older than Kesler and was eligible to hit unrestricted free agency prior to signing his extension.

Anyway signing a contract with a player containing a movement clause and then invalidating it by trading them before it comes into effect is dirty pool. Not the kind of reputation Mike Gillis seems to want for this organization.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..if a D man is part of a package for Weber (he's coming here this year when hell freezes over is what this poster thinks) it will be Edler.
DeLevering since 1999.