Wild agree to terms with Suter and Parise

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Re: Wild agree to terms with Suter and Parise

Post by Groovypippin »

Mëds wrote:You gotta hope that Gillis is looking at the situation there and at least considering making a big splash for Weber. I can't see anyone else offering Poille something that would match Bieksa + Ballard + Raymond for Weber. Toss in a prospect or a pick too.
You can't see ANYONE matching that deal? I can't see anyone NOT matching and easily bettering that deal. That is not even remotely in the ballpark value for Weber. If Poile is forced to deal Weber he is going to have to hit the biggest home run in history to make up for losing Suter for nothing.

We're talking two very good current players (sorry but Ballard is not in that category), two premier prospects and at least one first round pick, maybe two is Weber goes to a good team with a high pick. I think nothing less than Edler + Tanev + Jensen + KCon + 2013 First Rounder gets Weber to Vancouver via trade. And I don't doubt that Poile starts asking for Edler + Kesler to make the deal and maybe doesn't budge from that demand.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Groovypippin wrote:
Mëds wrote:You gotta hope that Gillis is looking at the situation there and at least considering making a big splash for Weber. I can't see anyone else offering Poille something that would match Bieksa + Ballard + Raymond for Weber. Toss in a prospect or a pick too.
You can't see ANYONE matching that deal? I can't see anyone NOT matching and easily bettering that deal. That is not even remotely in the ballpark value for Weber. If Poile is forced to deal Weber he is going to have to hit the biggest home run in history to make up for losing Suter for nothing.

We're talking two very good current players (sorry but Ballard is not in that category), two premier prospects and at least one first round pick, maybe two is Weber goes to a good team with a high pick. I think nothing less than Edler + Tanev + Jensen + KCon + 2013 First Rounder gets Weber to Vancouver via trade. And I don't doubt that Poile starts asking for Edler + Kesler to make the deal and maybe doesn't budge from that demand.

Poile doesnt hold any cards in this game and he is on damage control.The entire situation is in Webers hands and Poile will be grabbing his ankles very soon.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
If he cant work out a long term deal in the next 8 months I could see Poile hang onto Weber until next year's trade deadline, and then see where they are and/or what they could get.
This is where the 1-year offer sheet kicks in (as others have mentioned)

Sign Weber to a 1-year $6mil offersheet (with the verbal agreement that he will get extended to whatever it takes to keep him as soon as the NHL allows it)

Nashville has two choices:
1. Let him walk for Van's 1,2,3 (which I think is reasonable for a player like Weber)
2. Match the 1-year offer and let him become a UFA next year - he can't be traded for 1 year after the offer sheet was matched, so he is guaranteed to become a UFA and Nashville risks losing him for nothing.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

vic wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
If he cant work out a long term deal in the next 8 months I could see Poile hang onto Weber until next year's trade deadline, and then see where they are and/or what they could get.

Sign Weber to a 1-year $6mil offersheet (with the verbal agreement that he will get extended to whatever it takes to keep him as soon as the NHL allows it)

1. Let him walk for Van's 1,2,3 (which I think is reasonable for a player like Weber)
2. Match the 1-year offer and let him become a UFA next year - he can't be traded for 1 year after the offer sheet was matched, so he is guaranteed to become a UFA and Nashville risks losing him for nothing.
Pretty good idea now that I understand the logistics. If they match you are right they can't trade him and he becomes UFA July 1, 1013. If they don't match then we have him and a shot at a long term deal. It's not like we can't talk to him right now, we can, so we can find out before hand if he is willing to ink an extension come january. Hell, I'd offer him 7.5 for one year and pay the price if he indicates he will do a deal in January.

But if he tells us he won't extend and wants to test UFA next July I don't think I'd give up all those picks to get him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:
vic wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:

Pretty good idea now that I understand the logistics. If they match you are right they can't trade him and he becomes UFA July 1, 1013. If they don't match then we have him and a shot at a long term deal. It's not like we can't talk to him right now, we can, so we can find out before hand if he is willing to ink an extension come january. Hell, I'd offer him 7.5 for one year and pay the price if he indicates he will do a deal in January.

But if he tells us he won't extend and wants to test UFA next July I don't think I'd give up all those picks to get him.
What if Weber changes his mind in January after the Canucks signing him to a 1-yr contract? Not that I think he will, but there is simply no guarantee.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

way she fuckin' goes...
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Potatoe1 wrote:I think Poile needs to be less naive.

How many times has a high end player "tested" free agency only to return to their original team?

I'm not sure on the number but i'm sure it's either zero or very close to zero.
Brodeur is the only one I can think of this year. Maybe Doan if he decides to go back to PHX.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

The problem with all these potential deals for Weber is that we don't know what his primary motivation is/will be. :? Is it money? Is it location, or even home turf? Or is it a potential for winning? What is his personal situation - married, kids? I don't know...does any of you guys?

With Suter and Parise it seemed to be a combination of location (especially close to home/family), friendship, and the potential of the youngsters in the Wild organization. They are both young enough at 27 and 28, to have patience for a couple/few years while the team develops into a contender.

But who knows how Weber would look at a potential future in Vancouver? :hmmm:

On another note...do we all remember Craig Leipold (the owner of the Wild)? Wasn't he the guy who lost a bundle with the Preds and tried to sell the franchise to a crook? So, how much confidence can you have in this guy with his track record, given the huge financial commitment he just made? :wink:
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

donlever wrote: Parise and Suter contracts both structured as follows: $12m, $12m, $11m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $8m, $6m, $2M, $1m, $1m. Average $7.5m

Somewhere in the back of my scrambled brain there is a memory of succeeding years not being allowed to decrease by more than half of the previous years value.

If that is the case Miller has fuked it up.
I am surprised that the league seems to ignore the rising minimum salary for players with these long deals. I can't see $1mil being above the minimum in 13 years. It's a big loophole for these contracts.

"What happens with players who have contracts for 2005-06 for less than the minimum salary?
The player's contract may be bought out. If the contract is not bought out, his salary must be increased to the League minimum. Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_m ... z1zhrYczHR"

Basically, the team can buy the contract out in 11 years, and escape the cap hit, if my understanding is corrrect
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well, the Wild just got a whole lot better. Throw in Granlund who is probably the best prospect in the NHL, ya got a pretty damn good team in Minny. Our Division is getting a whole lot tougher. Minny, Edmonton and Colorado seemed to be the teams of the future and they are all in our division...nice!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

Those who are stuck living in the past, or who are afraid of what the future _may_ bring, prevent themselves from enjoying the present, despite it being a gift.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Mëds wrote: You gotta hope that Gillis is looking at the situation there and at least considering making a big splash for Weber. I can't see anyone else offering Poille something that would match Bieksa + Ballard + Raymond for Weber.

Juice has a NTC, and I don't think there is a chance he would waive to to go to Nashville.
Thanks Pot. No clue how I missed that.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Jovocop wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
What if Weber changes his mind in January after the Canucks signing him to a 1-yr contract? Not that I think he will, but there is simply no guarantee.
He should know what he wants.
Gillis calls his agent - "Does Shea want to play in his home province"?
If he does, then a deal can be worked out (ie - after the 1 yr offer sheet)
If he doesn't want to be a Canuck then hopefully he won't dick us around.
Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie

Post by Gino's Knuckle »

donlever wrote:
Scintillator wrote:
It depends on the spread between the fat years and the lean ones I suspect. Will have to see when the details of their contracts become public. If the last few years go 1-1-1 then the NHL might take issue.

Take it with a grain of salt if you will but chinless Gord MIller tweeted the following...

Parise and Suter contracts both structured as follows: $12m, $12m, $11m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $9m, $8m, $6m, $2M, $1m, $1m. Average $7.5m

Somewhere in the back of my scrambled brain there is a memory of succeeding years not being allowed to decrease by more than half of the previous years value.

If that is the case Miller has fuked it up.
Lever, I'm a little late on this but I think you are referencing the 100% Rule (CBA 50.7).

It states "...any decrease in Player Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed 50 percent of the Player Salary and Bonuses of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, 50 percent of that same amount)."

So basically their contracts cannot go down more than 6 million per year - which they do not.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Orcasfan wrote: On another note...do we all remember Craig Leipold (the owner of the Wild)? Wasn't he the guy who lost a bundle with the Preds and tried to sell the franchise to a crook? So, how much confidence can you have in this guy with his track record, given the huge financial commitment he just made? :wink:
Pred fans already hate Leipold for trying to sell the Preds to would-be franchise-mover Balsillie.

Now he's lured Suter away from them, over to his new team in Minnesota.

OMG the hate-meter must have just exploded in Nashville!! :shock:

But Leipold did NOT "lose a bundle with the Preds" my friend (despite his whining of "operating costs").

Leipold invested only $9.6mil of his own money in the Preds in 1997.

Ten years later (operating costs taken into consideration) he walked away with close to $40mil after selling the team.

He quadrupled his money in 10 years, pretty good profit eh wot?

Of course he would've pocketed an extra $27mil had his deal with the devil (Balsillie) gone through.

Make no mistake, this greedy little soul-less fucker knows exactly what he's doing. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.